Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Ayr United 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Ayr United 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Ayr United scorers: McKenzie
Aberdeen scorers: Thomson 55.

25/03/1922 | KO:


With their full Cup tie team out against Ayr United at Ayr, Aberdeen did not give a very convincing display, and they were distinctly fortunate in dividing the points. Neither side looked much like scoring in the first half, when the defences held the upper hand, and the ball was more often in the air than on the ground. A change came over the play in the second half, which proved of an exciting character. Thomson headed through a goal ten minutes after the restart, and McKenzie, the home centre, equalised with a great effort a few minutes later. Blackwell was conspicuous in subsequent play by saving grandly for the visitors. Two penalties awarded the Ayr team were not turned to account, McCloy and McKenzie missing badly. The attendance would be about 5000.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th March 1922

Aberdeen accomplished quite a creditable performance at Ayr, where they divided two goals with the United under Scottish League auspices. It was a keen and interesting encounter throughout, with Aberdeen the better team, but lacking in finish in the first half, and in the second the advantage was with the United, whose weakness also was demonstrated in the missing of opportunities, including two penalty kicks.
Play was slack at the beginning. Thomson being the first to attempt shot, his ground effort being held by Nesbit. From a tree kick Hogg hit the outside of the Aberdeen net, but the Pittodrie team, taking matters in hand, settled down to pretty combined play, and for a period the Ayr defence was severely tried. In quick succession Rankin and Miller shot high at close range, and when hard pressed the Ayr defence were lucky to block or charge down many attempts by the Aberdeen attackers. Milne, the Aberdeen centre-half, had a magnificent drive finely saved by Nesbit, round whom danger lurked for a considerable period. It was only occasionally that the United got away, and when they did they could make nothing of the Aberdeen defence. Blackwell had to fist away from a free kick by Hogg, but there was more danger in the shots which Nesbit was called upon to clear from Rankine, Wright, and Thomson. On play Aberdeen were far from flattered by the goalless state of the game at the interval.

Two Penalty Kicks.

The second half was much keener contested and interesting than the earlier period had been. A fine shot by Thomson just missed the mark on resuming, but Ayr showing improvement, threatened the Aberdeen goal, McLean and McKenzie both ballooning at short range., and Blackwell had to clear a long shot by Slade. The latter was responsible for clever individual work, and after a brilliant dribble he gave McKenzie an excellent chance to open the scoring, but he headed over, thereby losing what until then was the best chance of the game. Play had lasted ten minutes when a cross by Milne was returned by Bainbridge, whose lobbed centre gave Thomson no difficulty in opening the scoring with a header. Subsequently play developed on more strenuous lines. Blackwell effecting a brilliant save from a short drive by McKenzie, and later from a shot by Gibson the ball struck the Aberdeen crossbar to go behind. At the end of twenty-three minutes McKenzie tricked Hutton to score a magnificent goal for Ayr, and just the same player missed with a fine drive. In an exciting period the United were awarded a penalty kick for an alleged infringement by Milne, hut McClloy's spot kick was brilliantly held and cleared by Blackwell. Following upon this the Ayr goal had a wonderful escape. Nesbit, out of his goal, missed the ball, and Bainbridge gained possession to shoot, but Gibson on his knees on his goal line saved a certain goal, the ball hitting him on the chest. Miller was hurt, and retired for a time, but later was able to resume at outside, left, Rankine going into the centre. Play in the later stages favoured Ayr, and when Forsyth was adjudged to have deliberately handled in the penalty area, and another spot award was made to the United three minutes from the end, it looked as if a decisive result would be attained. On this occasion McKenzie took the kick, but completely missed the Aberdeen goal, and the game finished with the teams on an equal footing.
Aberdeen did not unduly stretch themselves in this game, obviously reserving themselves for this week's cup-tie. The defence played soundly and well, but the fault with the forwards lay in their inability to adopt more open tactics. The outstanding players were Blackwell, Hutton, Forsyth, MacLachlan, Thomson, and Rankin. For Ayr United the best, on view were - Nesbit, Smith, Gibson, Low, McKenzie, and Slade. The attendance was 5000.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 27th March 1922

Ayr United Teamsheet
Nesbit; Smith, McCloy; Hogg, Gibson, Low; Kilpatrick, Muir, McKenzie, Slade, McLean
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Somerset Park, Ayr
Referee: Tom Dougray, Bellshill
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead