Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Third Lanark 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Third Lanark 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Third Lanark scorers: Ferguson, Orr (pen)

19/04/1922 | KO:


Third Lanark met Aberdeen at Cathkin before 4000 spectators. The home team went off at a great pace, and scored first through a fine effort by Ferguson. Before the interval Orr added a second from a penalty. In the second half Aberdeen gave a much improved display, but were unable to beat the Third Lanark defence.

Source: The Scotsman, 20th April 1922

Aberdeen were distinctly unlucky to be beaten 2-0 by Third Lanark in a Scottish League game at Cathkin Park, Glasgow, last night.
Play in the first half was very scrappy, but Third Lanark gained two rather soft goals?one from a penalty for a tackle by Hutton at a time when there was little danger of the home team scoring. After crossing over, Aberdeen held the whip hand, and attacked continuously. There was a lack craft, however, at close quarters, most of the shots coming from a range which gave Brownlie time to place himself for the ball. Occasionally, too, shooting was ill-directed. Aberdeen showed all the good football there was. A feature was the line play of Alexander. In the second half he raced and centred in a fashion which gained the applause of the five thousand crowd. The left wing was better than the right, Thompson being somewhat subdued. Connon had several excellent tries, but Brownlie was in fine form. Milne and the two backs were good. Third Lanark were strong in defence, but disjointed forward, and Blackwell had comparatively little to do, in fact, apart from the two kicks which brought the goals, he had only a miskick by Milne to trouble him in the first half, and about four tries in the second portion. Brownlie had four times as much work, yet his team retired easy winners. Aberdeen had to face sun and breeze. They started in lively fashion, and Thomson and Grant both centred past goal in the first minute. Third Lanark replied on the right, Reid crossing a fast ball which Findlay headed wide. Within four minutes, the Warriors gained a goal from a position which did not seem to threaten danger. From a shy Walker gained possession and slipped a nice pass to Ferguson, who had a clear run in on goal. The centre did not get his kick properly, but half scooped the ball towards the faraway post. Blackwell evidently thought it was going past, but the ball caught the upright and glanced into the net without the keeper having dived for it. Grant was conspicuous with a nice touch which let Connon in, but Orr blocked the shot. Hutton got a nasty fall, but after his right shoulder had been massaged he resumed. Following this there was a lot of dreich play, throws-in being numerous. Third Lanark were keeping the play in the Aberdeen quarters, but were scarcely ever dangerous. Frank Walker tried many of his individual runs, but generally they frittered out to nothing.
On one occasion he lofted the ball over Hutton's head and got in a centre, but Forsyth attended to it. Not a good shot or centre was seen, and Blackwell had most to fear from a miskick by Milne, which sent the ball spinning into the custodian, and only at the second attempt did he clear amidst the laughter of the crowd. Aberdeen now furnished some better play. Thompson had a grand shot stopped by Orr, and then Middleton got over a centre which Connon headed into BrownIie's hands. A sweet run by Alexander, and a stinging volley by Grant into Brownlie's hands livened up matters. It was a rare drive, and, luckily for the keeper, went straight to him. It was too hot to hold and he dropped it dangerously near the line, but recovered in time.

,b>Penalty Goal.

After 35 minutes Third Lanark scored again. Findlay attempted a shot, and Forsyth's partial clearance went back to Findlay, who in attempting to gain possession was upset by Hutton. A penalty was given, from which Orr scored. Aberdeen pressed till half-time, which arrived with Third Lanark enjoying a two-goal lead.

Aberdeen Superior

On resuming Aberdeen had practically all the play. First Grant shot wide, and then the left wing had a delightful run which ended in Connon driving past. Middleton next came along with a centre, Grant heading over. Aberdeen hovered round the home goal, and all the inside forwards had tries. Connon came nearest with a spanking ball which Brownlie saved in capital fashion. Third Lanark at last broke away, and Blackwell showed cleverness in saving a high ball from Findlay. However, the game was Aberdeen's, but there was a lack of finishing power at close quarters. Grant came nearest, whipping in a ball which he had cast on the bounce. Alexander was very clever, he beat two men neatly and swung the ball over, but Giant, dashing in, failed to connect. Alexander then centred from the line into Brownlie's hands, and the game ended with Aberdeen still pressing.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 20th April 1922

Third Lanark Teamsheet
Brownie; McCormack, Orr; Wilson, McKenna, Johnstone; Reid, Ferguson, Frank Walker, Hillhouse
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Cathkin Park, Glasgow
Referee: J. A. Martin, Clydebank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride