Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Kilmarnock scorers: Culley 28

16/08/1922 | KO:


Fully 6000 spectators witnessed a spirited opening League game between Kilmarnock and Aberdeen at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock, last night. From first to last there was not a dull moment. The field play was smart and clever, and many lively incidents took place in front of both custodians. The first goal was scored for Kilmarnock by Culley after 25 minutes' play. In the second half the pace slackened to some extent, but both goals were frequently assailed, and there were not a few exciting scrimmages in which both custodians were lucky not to be beaten, and on one or two occasions Aberdeen had hard lines in not securing the equaliser.

Source: The Scotsman, 17th August 1922

Aberdeen opened their Scottish League season at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock, last night, when they suffered defeat by the only goal of the game. Heavy rain before the start affected the attendance, but 9000 looked on. Play was keen, and often touched high class.

The Game.

Aberdeen made a promising start, and Heron had to dear Middleman's cross after which Thomson sent behind. Culley led the first Kilmarnock raid, but Smith shot wide, after which the home goalkeeper beat Miller in the race for the ball and cleared. Play developed at a great pace, and the Aberdeen defence were hard pressed. Forsyth miskicked, but MacLachlan came to the rescue. Aberdeen had a brilliant combined run, Rankine's header from Middleton's cross missing by inches. Brown had an opening for Kilmarnock, but shot weakly.
For a lengthy period neither side could claim any advantage, both defences excelling in breaking-up tactics, so that attacks could not get going. Brown had the goal at his mercy after Culley dispossessed Hutton but MacLachlan dashed in to block his shot. Later, the Aberdeen goal survived an exciting scrimmage, during which several forwards completely missed the ball. Following a free-kick, McLeavy had the first decent shot, but was wide. Aberdeen came more into the attack after this, and forced the first corner, for nothing tangible to result. Keenness brought many free-kicks in its wake, but withal they were evenly matched teams. Another headed ball by Rankine was caught on the post by Heron. Kilmarnock opened the scoring after 28 minutes.

Killie Score.

Brown, who appeared offside, got possession, and passed back to Culley, who beat Blackwell from close range.
Aberdeen were kept busy defending for a time until Smith ran half the length of the field, beating two en route, to deliver a terrific shot, which Heron, a.t full length, deflected for a corner. Aberdeen stormed the home defence after this, and twice Miller was almost through. Over keenness tended to spoil what, so far, had been a refreshing contest. More clever play nearly brought the equaliser, Thomson's header being luckily deflected by Gibson, with Heron out of positron. Miller did actually net, but Smith had crossed the goal line, before centring. Aberdeen repeatedly attacked, Grosert joining in the attempts, but shooting was weak. Miller had a scoring like effort accidentally blocked by Smith. The interval arrived with Kilmarnock hard pushed to keep a rather undeserved lead.
Pace and keenness were the features on the resumption of play, with the home team accounting for most of the attacking. Aberdeen's defence disposed of two flag kicks, and then Aberdeen's Smith cut in to lob an easy ball, which Thomson headed into Heron?s bands.

Moderate Attacks.

Milne essayed a shot, which was high, but generally robust defences mastered the moderate attacks. Smith and Middleton made ground fast on the Aberdeen wings, and Smith forced another corner, off which Miller made rather a wild attempt at shooting, but he was nearer the mark later, when he crashed the ball against the outside of the net. Rankine had a fine individual effort, and looked like scoring until Hood recovered and dispossessed him. Neither goalkeeper had much to do, but following a flag kick Blackwell did well to scoop a ball out, and Forsyth was below the bar when he blocked a certain counter from Brown. Blackwell brilliantly saved a free kick taken from the penalty line by Goldie.
For Aberdeen Smith forced another corner, which brought out nothing. Play was evenly contested, with the absence of much that had pretensions to combination or studied policy. At full time Blackwell pushed away a cross from Jackson, and Forsyth opportunely completed the clearance. Aberdeen made many attempts to draw level after this. Heron did well to punch clear a fine try by Middleton. This was followed by clever individual play by Smith, and Thomson sent the ball against the bottom of the upright. It was a lucky escape for Kilmarnock, who at this stage had to concentrate on defence, but retained their lead to the end.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 17th August 1922

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Herron; Hood, Gibson; Turnbull, Goldie, Ramsay; Jackson, Smith, Brown, McLeary, Culley
Attendance: 8,500
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: J. M. Dickson, Glasgow