Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Dundee 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Dundee 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Dundee scorers: McLean 47
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin 75.

19/08/1922 | KO:


About 25,000 spectators witnessed a gruelling game between Dundee and Aberdeen at Dens Park, Dundee, in fine weather. The first half was well fought, and revealed the fact that the teams were very well matched in all departments. In the first minute of the second half D. McLean, Dundee's new centre from Bradford, from a perfect pass by MacDonald, the Blackburn Rovers' capture, scored a delightful goal. From that point Dundee supplied practically all the pressure. The dominated the game in midfield, but had bad luck in the goalmouth. Half an hour froom the restart slackness on the part of the home defence allowed Smith and Rankine to get through, and the latter beat Fotheringham with a fine shot. The closing stages of the game were extremely strenuously fought, with Aberdeen slightly more dangerous. Aberdeen were steadier in defence, and on a par with the home lot in the half-back line. In the outfield the Dark Blues' forwards were considerably ahead. Both teams were best served by the left wings. Troup and MacDonald were the most conspicuous players on the field, while Smith and Rankine showed to very fine advantage after Aberdeen had equalised.

Source: The Scotsman, 21st August 1922

Aberdeen accomplished a creditable performance at Dens Park, where they forced a draw with Dundee, each side scoring once. There were 22,000 spectators, and these saw a gruelling encounter, in which there were many exciting incidents. The result did justice to both teams, for, while Dundee were superior in attack for the greater part of the game, the Aberdeen defence was brilliant, and in the closing stages the Pittodrie attack played so strongly that their side came ear to winning.

Aberdeen had to take the field without MacLachlan, injured at Kilmarnock in midweek, and Dundee were without Bird. In the first half Aberdeen had the assistance of the breeze, but Dundee were first dangerous and clever leading by McLean looked like materialising into a goal until Hutton cleared. Thomson improved the Aberdeen outlook with a shot, in saving which Fotheringham conceded a corner, and Milne shot over. McLean led the Dundee forwards with great dash and skill, and fine combination often had the Aberdeen defence hard pressed, but the and half-backs and backs stuck well to their task. Following a scrimmage in the Aberdeen goalmouth, Cowan shot narrowly past, and at the other end Miller was baulked in the act of shooting. A long, dropping ball by Turner gave Blackwell some trouble, and, following more end-to-end play, Fotheringham nearly lost a goal through failing to hold a shot by Thomson, the ball bouncing off his hands wide of the goal. McLean took the eye with clever leadership, and, following passages of combination, of which he was the originator, twice narrowly missed with hard drives. Troup beat Hutton, and delivered a terrific shot, which was slightly wide.

A Dundee Escape.

The Dundee goal had a fortunate escape on one occasion, when Milller, following up, got his foot on a pass-back from D. Thomson to Fotheringham. The ball struck the goalkeeper on the face and lay close to the untenanted goal, meanwhile both Fotheringham and Miller collided. The incident ended with Aimer rushing in and clearing before Rankine could net. Fotheringham had to clear from Thomson, but from this stage until the interval most of the pressure came from Dundee, whose forwards combined with great accuracy. Blackwell had one particularly fine save from McDonald, and McLean on one occasion, after besting two opponents and reaching good position, shot weakly for Blackwell to save. That the teams were level at the end of a goal-less flrst half was a tribute to the work of the Aberdeen defence.

Goal for Dundee.

The second half had a sensational start, McLean scoring for Dundee practically from the kick-off. McDonald got possession, and, slipping the ball through to McLean, the centre-forward, while on the run, shot a brilliant goal from beside the 18- yards line. Aberdeen came near to equalising almost immediately, Miller's close-range shot passing wide of the goal, with Fotheringham powerless to save. After this the Dundee attack again came into view, and from a cross by Troup McLean missed the goal. Smith brought relief to Aberdeen with a spirited run, his finishing shot passing across the goal to go behind, and later he caused Fotheringham to save a hard drive. Troup developed liveliness on the Dundee left, and, following a cross from the winger McDonald sent the ball against the Aberdeen crossbar. The Aberdeen defence was again tried for a period, and in succession Hutton and Forsyth dispossessed McLean when the Dundee centre-forward was about to shoot, and once Blackwell had to leave his goal to kick clear, with McLean dashing in.

Aberdeen Draw Level.

With 15 minutes left for play, Rankine equalised for Aberdeen. Receiving the ball from Smith well out on the left, he beat Aimer and Thomson in quick succession, cut in and score with a fast right foot drive. At the other end several Dundee forwards endeavoured to rush Blackwell through the goal, but the keeper cleared brilliantly. In the closing stages the play was entirely in favour of Aberdeen, whose left wing worked with much harmony. Fotheringham just managed to knock down a hard drive from Rankine, and near the end the same player narrowly missed scoring with a shot that passed a few inches wide of the Dundee goal.
Aberdeen were very sound in defence, all the players in that department giving of their best, with Hutton, Forsyth, and Milne outstanding. In an attack which did not get properly going until the closing stages, Smith, Rankine, and Thomson in that order were best. Dundee were best served by D. Thomson and Greenshields, .in defence, and in a clever forward line the outstanding players were D. McLean, McDonald, and Troup.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 21st August 1922

Dundee Teamsheet
Fotheringham; Aimer, Thomson; Irving, W. McLean, Greenshields; Turner, Cowan, D. McLean, McDonald, Troup
Attendance: 22,000
Venue: Dens Park, Dundee
Referee: J. B. Stevenson, Motherwell
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries