Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Hibernian

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Miller 20, Rankin 53.

09/09/1922 | KO:


At Pittodrie, Aberdeen before about 16,000 spectators, the Hibernians suffered their first defeat of the season. Only at times in the game did they play up to their recent form. The Aberdeen half-backs dominated the play, smashing up any attempts at combination by their opponents, and pushing on the men in front of them, of whom Miller made a splendid leader. For about twenty minutes there was nothing between the sides. Both had chances, and had failed to take them, and both defences had withstood severe pressure. At that time Aberdeen were defending, and had conceded a corner. From the flag-kick the ball was volleyed out by a defender to Grant on the wing, who dashed away, slipped a fine pass to Miller, in centre. That player shook himself clear, and drove in a shot that Harper got his hand on but could not stop. That goal changed the character of the game. Aberdeen played a rushing game that upset the Hibernians, who, however, ought to have scored near the interval. Aberdeen were always the better side in the second half, and not only scored again through Rankine, but were able to check a late revival by the Hibernians.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th September 1922

In a most exciting struggle at Pittodrie, Aberdeen defeated Hibernian, the Scottish League leaders, by 2 goals to 0, thereby registering their third successive victory, and inflicting upon the visitors their first defeat of the season.
There were nearly 20,000 spectators, and these were kept on tip toe. The play throughout was punctuated by thrills, and if better football has been seen on the ground, few games have held such a sustained grip as this one. Excitement among the spectators infected the players, and from start to finish the play was brimful of incident.
The Aberdeen victory was richly deserved, and yet it was one for which they had to struggle every minute of the game. The first goal came after twenty minutes, and was the result of a spectacular effort by Miller, the home centre-forward. Following the clearance of a Hibernian flag-kick, Grant successfully deputised for Smith at outside left, broke away and, after the carrying the ball some distance, lobbed obliquely into the centre and beyond the backs. Miller followed up and, gaining possession was overtaken by McGinnigle. He neatly side-stepped the defender and, steadying himself, delivered a terrific shot. Harper touching ball but failing to stay its progress. Both goals subsequently ran narrow escapes, but the second goal for was not registered until eight minutes of the closing period had gone. Bustling by Thomson brought out a flag kick, and from this Middleton placed accurately for Rankine to rush the ball through with his head. In between these scoring efforts, and later, both defences were kept busy, but most of the play was in Hibernian territory. Harper repeatedly distinguished himself by brilliant saving, and he had to deal with all manner of shots from the Aberdeen forwards, who played irresistible the open and finished in a manner that was refreshing. On one occasion a ball from Middleton found the top of the cross-bar and dropped into play, to be a cleared in a desperate melee, and, while many shots were blocked, Harper particularly distinguished himself by bringing off brilliant saves from Grant, Miller, and Rankine, all three of whom were in deadly form.

Exciting Moments

The Aberdeen goal was not without its exciting moments. Once Shaw headed against the crossbar, and on another occasion Forsyth cleared when it seemed the ball would roll into an untenanted goal when Blackwell rushed out and failed to get possession. At yet another juncture Blackwell picked the ball from Halligan's foot, a yard from the goal, and at another time, following a free kick lobbed forward by Kerr, Dunn when about to shoot was cleverly dispossessed by Forsyth. Despite these incidents, which made for the spectacular success of the game, Aberdeen held the upper hand, as apart from getting home the efforts that counted, their forwards and half-backs were nearly always setting the pace, and the Hibernian goalkeeper and backs were subjected to a terrific gruelling.
In the home team Blackwell accounted for some smart saving albeit he was not so reliable in his fielding as usual. Hutton and Forsyth worked up a splendid partnership at full back, and in their manner of covering up each other, coupled with a skilful application of the offside theory, lay the success of their efforts. A. R. Grosert, Milne, and MacLachlan, while not entirely mastering the Hibernian attack, effectively held it, and Grosert especially took the eye with passes to his forwards. Miller, Grant, and Rankine greatly pleased in the forward line, where their forcing play and deadly shooting nearly always had the defence in difficulties. So well did Grant deputise for Smith, that it could not be said the absence of the latter was felt, and after the newcomer s display his claims for a place in the line must receive consideration. The right wing was not so prominent as the left. Thomson failing to strike anything like his best form, and Middleton might have made better use of his opportunities.
The strong men in the Hibernian team were Harper, McGinnigle. and Dornan in defence, and Ritchie attack. The first-named trio were overwhelmed with work, and theirs was a plucky effort to stave off disaster. But for their splendid resistance the defeat would have been much more decisive. Miller was best in a half-back line that could not find time to assist the men in front. Ritchie repeatedly threatened danger with his individual raids, was poorly supported. Dunn, his partner, clung too Iong to the ball, and while missing at least two opportunities of scoring, was unable to keep the line balanced, and the left wing was disappointing.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 11th September 1922

Hibernian Teamsheet
Harper; McGinnigle, Dornan; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Ritchie, Dunn, Young, Halligan, Buchanan
Attendance: 20,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow