Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: French (pen), French
Aberdeen scorers: Rankin.

16/09/1922 | KO:

Welcome Points for Morton

By a narrow margin Greenock Morton defeated Aberdeen at Cappielow. On the play the points were well earned. Morton were without Wright and Alf Brown, and Buchanan and Bickerstaffe filled the vacancies in the middle line and at inside left. There was plenty of keenness in the game, Aberdeen forcing matters at the start, but Morton were the first to score, French converting a penalty after twenty-two minutes. Aberdeen half-backs were conspicuous for fine tackling, and Edwards cleared shots from Rankine and Millar. Blackwell had a busy spell in the opening half, and twice he rushed out of his goal and cleared when the situation looked hopeless. The game was on fast lines after the cross over. A miskick by one of the visitors' backs proved disastrous. French was close at hand, and Morton stood two up, but near the close a rally by Aberdeen resulted in Rankine finding the net. The home club were the better combination, and more thrustful in attack than their opponents, who lost the ball rather easily. McIntyre and Gourlay were very safe in the Greenock rear lines and for Aberdeen Blackwell kept a grand goal. The weather greatly affected the attendance, which did not exceed seven thousand.

Source: The Scotsman, 16th September 1922


Aberdeen were distinctly unfortunate to surrender full points to Morton at Greenock, the Scottish Cup-holders winning by 2 goals to 1.

If the Pittodrie players bad accepted their chances, they need not have lost, but apart from that they were very unfortunate in the manner of conceding the goals. Nearly half an hour had gone when Morton took the lead from a penalty kick. There had been a scrimmage in front of the Aberdeen goal, and with Blackwell out his charge, a ball, shot by French, was going for the net when Forsyth, below the bar, made a great effort to divert round the upright. He succeeded in this, but in the effort he handled, and the referee awarded a penalty tick, from which French scored. The second goal was registered eight minutes after the start of the second half, and was the outcome of a mistake The Aberdeen right back, in essaying a clearance, miskicked and deflected the ball to French, who was unmarked. The Morton centre-forward, quick to accept a chance, carried on and neatly tipped the ball past Blackwell. Aberdeen found the net five minutes from the finish, when, after a lobbed centre by Middleton had hit the upright, Rankine met the rebound to score.

Many Chances Lost.

It rained heavily throughout the game, and with a hurricane of wind the conditions for players and spectators were far from favourable, and the attendance numbered only about 4000. In the first half Aberdeen were at a disadvantage with the elements, but, although attacking repeatedly, they were weak at finishing. Their own defence was often in difficulties, and on three occasions Blackwell saved what looked like being certain goals rushing out and clearing. French on one occasion was left with only the goalkeeper to beat, when Blackwell saved brilliantly at close range. On another occasion the Aberdeen goalkeeper ran out and blocked a shot by the Morton centre-forward. Aberdeen were not without their opportunities, and Grant, Thomson, and Miller were all found wanting when scoring chances were offered which, had they been accepted, must have seen the teams on level terms at the interval instead of Morton leading by a goal.

Last Minute Miss.

In the second half, with the wind and rain behind them, Aberdeen were often attacking, but it was only in the last ten minutes of the game that they developed shooting ability. Middleton and Thomson each had tries blocked, and on one occasion Edwards did well to tip a shot from Thomson over the bar, and later Rankine hit the crossbar with a great shot that had the goalkeeper beaten, Miller failing to net the rebound. Grant, on one occasion missed badly when close to the upright, but the most glaring miss of the game occurred in the last few seconds, when Grant failed at an open goal. If their forwards were not so nippy as the Morton quintette, Aberdeen had quite as much of the game, and were unlucky to lose, but had themselves blame. Best for Aberdeen were Blackwell, Hutton, Forsyth, Milne, and Thomson; and for Morton McIntyre, Gourlay, McGregor, French, and McKay.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 11th September 1922

Morton Teamsheet
Edwards; McIntyre, R. Brown; Buchan, Gourlay, McGregor; McNab, McKay, French, Bickerstaffe, Jessiman
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: J. A. Martin, Clydebank