Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 0 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith 80.

16/12/1922 | KO:

Paisley Saints Beaten at Home

St Mirren met with their second home defeat when Aberdeen secured the points by the only goal of the game. Smith, who scored, deserves great praise for his fine individual effort. It was one bright patch in the second half display of the Aberdonians, who were seldom in the game up to that point. A draw would have been a much better result on the displays of the team. Blackwell played a sound game for Aberdeen in goal, and stood between St Mirren and victory on many occasions. The attendance was round about 11,000.

Source: The Scotsman, 18th December 1922


Aberdeen registered a third successive victory on Saturday, when in a thrilling game at Paisley they defeated St Mirren by the only goal. There were 11,000 spectators in a cold and dull afternoon and these were kept on tip-toe with excitement throughout. The victory was meritorious, considering that the Aberdeen captain was hurt at an early stage of the game, and although he pluckily continued at outside left, he was not of much assistance to his side, except that he required an opponent to watch him. The only goal was obtained about ten minutes from the close, and was the outcome of a brilliant individual burst by Smith, who at the time was operating at inside left, but it was in the centre the field. Receiving the ball just over the half-way line, he brushed past Summers, it bounced between the St Mirren backs, but before either could kick clear, Smith had worked through, and heading it downwards he wept past them at terrific speed. Both defenders pursued him, but he was able to reach the penalty line when, with his left foot, he shot into the right-hand corner of the net, past Bradford, who came out to meet him. Just as Smith got in his finishing kick he was knocked off balance by Findlay. It was a brilliant effort, the equal of which has seldom been seen on the ground.

Period of Thrills.

A terrific pace was set from the start, and end to end play was the order. Forcing play by Milne gave Smith a chance, but he failed to gather, and at Blackwell's end Walker was dispossessed by Hutton when about to shoot. Smith was quickly at the other end, where Findlay recovered after a 30 yards' sprint. A flag kick by Middleton was cleared, and Blackwell brilliantly deflected over the bar a terrific drive by Lawson. Fallowing the flag-kick, the Aberdeen keeper saved from Walker's head. A fine run and shot by Thomson at the other end finished with Bradford sending the ball over bar. Two flag kicks for Aberdeen were cleared, and subsequently Connon, in a good position, failed to gather Thomson's timely pass. Bradford had to fist away from Middleton and was glad to tip another hard drive from Thomson over the top. From the corner kick Rankine almost counted with a header, Bradford bringing off a wonderful save. After the home defence had cleared another corner, Blackwell, at full length, saved wonderfully from Paton, and regained his feet in time to stop a fast shot from Walker. MacLachlan sustained a foot injury at this stage, and had to retire for five minutes. When he resumed he went to outride left, and Smith to left half. Clever individual play by Smith gave a good opening, but he shot weakly. Getting possession from a flag kick clearance Walker, for St Mirren, had a brilliant run half the length of the field, but Blackwell held his bard drive at the finish. Lawson was the next to test Blackwell, the keeper conceding a corner in stopping a tremendous drive. A cross by Thomson was fisted away by Blackwell just as Walker dashed in with his head, and at the other end Milne, after passing three opponents, saw the wind curve the ball just wide of the goal, with the keeper at the other end.

Miraculous Escapes.

In the last five minutes of the period the Aberdeen goal underwent a series of miraculous escapes. At short range Blackwell threw himself full length to push away a ball from Walker, and before the keeper could get up, Lawson had shot, the ball cannoning off Hutton. This time it was driven with great force by Walker, but Blackwell saved in wonderful style. Yet again the ball was shot in, and this time Forsyth breasted It out from below the bar, and finally Blackwell stopped a hard shot from Walker, and brought relief; Bradford at the other end having to go to the assistance of Findlay, who was hard pressed by Connon. Except for the late rally by St Mirren, the exchanges had been even over the period, and a draw at the interval did justice to both sides.

Aberdeen Handicapped.

When play resumed the Aberdeen players were in their usual positions, but shortly afterwards MacLachlan's injury re-asserting itself, he again went outside left, Rankine going left-half and Smith to inside left. Right from the start it brought pressure to bear the Aberdeen defence. Blackwell had to field from Arnott, and subsequently Hutton and Forsyth excelled in repelling dangerous raids by the home forwards. Repeatedly the Aberdeen goal appeared on the verge of downfall, when these two players came to the rescue. Successive corners for the home team brought no advantage, and it seemed that the harder they pressed the further they got from scoring. Walker repeatedly dashed through, but found Milne and the Aberdeen backs always in his path. It was only seldom that the Aberdeen forwards got past midfield, and even when they did they could make no impression on the home backs, who were forceful and vigorous. Connon on one occasion had an individual dash, but was baulked by Hamilton, and later Smith sent wide from long range. For the first half of the period these were the only two occasions upon which the Aberdeen forwards had threatened. At other times the game resolved itself into a duel between the St Mirren attack and Pittodrie defence. Numerous corners fell to the home team, but the harder they pressed, the better did Hutton and Forsyth, and especially Hutton, show their qualities. Despite the almost incessant pressure, Blackwell had very little really dangerous work to deal with. With ten minutes to go, Smith scored for Aberdeen, and afterwards the exchanges became more even. On a subsequent raid he had a fine chance to increase his team's lead, but miskicked, and with the right wing developing activity, the St Mirren defence was well tested in the closing stages.

Outstanding Players.

On the run of the game Aberdeen were fortunate to win. Smith is due all praise for his brilliant effort which brought victory, as are Milne, Hutton, Forsyth, and Blackwell for their truly heroic defence. Milne found Walker in splendid form, but never left him, and Hutton probably never played a better defensive game for Aberdeen. St. Mirren were well served in attack by Walker, Lawson, and Thomson. Summers was their best half-back, but the backs were too robust. Bradford kept an excellent goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 18th December 1922

St. Mirren Teamsheet
Bradford; Findlay, Hamilton; Arnott, Summers, Scott; Lawson, Gillies, Walker, Paton, Thomson
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: St Mirren Park (Love Street), Paisley
Referee: A. Allan, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead