Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Raith Rovers 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Raith Rovers 0 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith.

02/01/1923 | KO:


It looked for a time as if the bad luck that has dogged Raith Rovers' footsteps over the New Year was going to deprive them of the fruits of a match in which they were easily the more aggressive lot. Aberdeen scored during a break-away early in the first half, but twenty minutes after the interval Ingles equalised. Raith pressed right to the finish, but could not get the better of the Aberdeen defence a second time.

Source: The Scotsman, 3rd January 1923

The Aberdeen club concluded its New Year holiday fixtures yesterday, when in a Scottish League game with Raith Rovers at Kirkcaldy the first team registered its third successive draw in four days, each side getting a goal. In an Eastern League game at Edinburgh, the Reserves were beaten by Leith Athletic by the odd goal in three.
Fully 6000 spectators saw the game at Kirkcaldy. The ground was in a wretched state following heavy rain, and, with the greasy and heavy ball, play seldom touched a high standard. Aberdeen played the same team that drew with Rangers and Dundee, but the Rovers made several changes, including the experiment of playing Inglis, their back, at centre-forward. Aberdeen played the better football in the first half, but throughout the second period were nearly always on the defensive, and on the run of the play were fortunate to save a point.

Smith's Clever Goal.

Aberdeen played against a strong breeze in the first half. Rovers attacked at the start, but their forwards bunched and were easily repulsed.
Aberdeen had the first really concerted movement, but Connon got offside. Later Barton kicked the ball against Connon and it rebounded just wide of Brown's charge. Even against the wind Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges, and after a clever dribble by Connon, Rankine shot over. Later, Smith forced a corner off Moyes, but Morris cleared.
At the other end Forsyth slipped and let Archibald through, but the little fellow shot behind. So far this was the only occasion Rovers had been dangerous. Archibald was playing tricky football but was none too effective, although he just missed the goal with a first-time effort.
A fine run and cross by Smith had the Rovers' goal in danger, Brown having to fist clear, and although Middleton got possession, Morris was able to get the ball away.
Connon showed much cleverness in the Aberdeen attack, his solo efforts always offering a threat to the home defence, whose backs were not too sound. After Blackwell had been nearly bundled into the net by Inglis, Robertson let Smith away, and the Aberdeen left winger carried on until close to the goal-line, when he shot, and the ball glanced into the net off the far post. It was a well-taken goal, and the lead was deserved.
Raith Borers made another desperate effort to charge Blackwell through, but the referee's whistle brought relief. Later on the Aberdeen custodian saved brilliantly from Archibald, and Gilmour headed past. It was chiefly due to the assistance of the wind that Rovers attacked, but they were weak in front goal. The better football came from Aberdeen, and after a clever combined run Smith just failed to reach Middleton's cross. At the other end Blackwell saved great style from Gilmour. Until the interval Aberdeen retained their lead, and once Blackwell made a magnificent save from Inglis.

Aberdeen Defend Well.

Although they had the wind behind them, Aberdeen were kept defending at the start, and Blackwell saved a header from Inglis when a goal seemed certain. There was very little good football in the game, Aberdeen's previous efforts at combination having fallen away.
Inglis, for Rovers, hit the cross-bar with a terrific shot and there was an appeal for a penalty when Archibald shot against Hutton's arm. Referee Bell, however, gave Aberdeen the benefit the doubt.
Aberdeen's attack was surprisingly ineffective, and Hutton and Forsyth were simply overburdened. Twice Blackwell saved certain goals by Archibald and Inglis, and stopped a terrific shot from Jennings. Thomson had an isolated shot for Aberdeen, but play was seldom away from Blackwell 's end, and at last Inglis equalised with a shot after Hutton blundered.
Rovers subsequently had all the better of the exchanges, and Aberdeen concentrated on defence. Corner after corner fell to the Rovers, but although the visitors' goal had numerous narrow escapes, the rear divisions, augmented by all the forwards with the exception of Connon, held out the end, and there was no further scoring.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 3rd January 1923

Raith Rovers Teamsheet
Brown; Barton, Moyes; Raeburn, Morris, Collier; Jennings, Janes, Inglis, Gilmour, Archibald
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Referee: J. Bell, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead