Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 1 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 1 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Milne.
Morton scorers: Mckay

20/01/1923 | KO:


Morton put up a plucky fight at Pittodrie, and were fortunate in getting a point from Aberdeen. In the first half Aberdeen, with wind advantage, had much the better of play, but could not press home their advantage. In one of their few runs, the visitors got the equaliser through McKay, inside right, after Dr Milne had scored for Aberdeen following one of many corners. The second half was keenly contested, with Morton leading in the earlier stages. For their point, the Greenock men were largely indebted to the opportunism of McKay, their best forward, but they were also indebted to the stalwart of Edwards, McIntyre, and Wright. Aberdeen had McBoyle and Maclachlan in place of Forsyth and A. R. Grosert respectively. They were best served by Hutton, left back, Dr Milne, the centre half, and Rankine and Smith in the attack.

Source: The Scotsman, 22nd January 1923

Weak forward play, and a lapse on the part of the defence, lead to Aberdeen being content to share two goals with Morton at Pittodrie, after the visitors had been kept defending for the greater part of the game.
On a cold, raw afternoon, the game attracted only 9000 spectators - the smallest attendance this season; but although there had been frost and snow overnight, the playing pitch was in wonderful condition. Aberdeen had McBoyle and MacLachlan at right back and right half respectively, Forsyth and A. R. Grosert being rested in view of this week's cup-tie, and the visitors were without Gourlay, McGregor, and Jessiman of their regular team. Aberdeen were usually attacking in the first half, and on play should have been well ahead at the interval, considering they had the assistance of the breeze. In the earlier stages of the second half, Morton were the aggressors, but in the later stages Aberdeen were nearly always attacking, although they not press home their advantage.
On the home side, Blackwell, in goal, had little do, and would probably have averted the equaliser had he not been unsighted by Hutton. The backs were fair, Hutton being slightly better than his partner. The half-backs formed the strongest part of the team, Robertson and Milne especially doing well. In the attack, Rankine, Connon, and Smith were best, but the line did not work well, and Middleton on the right wing saw too little the ball. Edwards kept goal splendidly for the visitors, and had several brilliant saves. Mclntyre and Wright excelled in a dour defence, and in a forward line which was pretty much on a par with that of Aberdeen, but did not get away so often, McNab and McKay were best.

Milne's Fine Goal.

Aberdeen made the running at the start, and, after Smith had run the ball behind, Wright cleared a dangerous centre by Middleton. Later, Smith, with a first-time drive, sent narrowly over. Edwards fisted away from Smith, and after this Thomson should have scored from the winger's cross, but missed the ball. Robertson, for the home team, was next to try for goal, but the ball went high. A raid by McNab resulted in Blackwell clearing, and at the visitors' end Connon's shot was deflected for a corner by Mclntyre. Aberdeen kept up a persistent attack, but the forwards repeatedly lost possession through indulging in individual work. Off Middleton's cross, Smith had a splendid shot, which Edwards deflected for corner. The ball was well placed, and, after it had been cleared, Milne got possession to shoot a fine goal from about twenty yards' range. Following the success, Aberdeen attacked with renewed vigour, but Wright, Mclntyre, and Davies defended well, and Rankin and Connon had shots blocked in quick succession. The home defence, on the other hand, was seldom troubled, although twice Hutton did well to stop raids by McNab and McKay. Thomson lost another opportunity for Aberdeen when he misjudged a centre by Smith, and later the same forward's judgment was at fault after a bout of combination by the home forwards. A shot by Milne was cleverly stopped by Edwards, and later the keeper had to fist clear from a high lob by Robertson. Several flag-kicks fell to Aberdeen, but these only brought out the determination of the Morton defence, and it was only after forty minutes' play that Blackwell had to take his first by-kick. A minute from the interval McMinn on the Morton right beat McBoyle and crossed. The ball was missed by Carswell and Hutton, but McKay got his foot it to snatch the equaliser from about twelve yards' range.

Home Goal in Danger.

The visitors were first to become dangerous in the second half. Their right wing in particular was prominent, and on one occasion McNab shot recklessly behind when in favourable position. Connon was the first to raise the home hopes, but was baulked by Mclntyre, when a score seemed likely. A slip by McBoyle conceded a flag kick, but Milne blocked Buchanan's shot after Wright had missed an opening. Subsequently the home goal had a narrow escape, when Hutton blocked a ball from Brown and was able to get in the way of McNab's effort to score from the rebound. After this escape, Aberdeen came more into the limelight. Edwards nullified a clever run by Thomson, and later the keeper saved finely from Robertson, who followed with another shot immediately afterwards, which was also saved. McNab, on the visitors' right, was often dangerous, and once Blackwell had to fist away his cross. Following this, Rankine shot high and Connon headed wide off a centre by Middleton. Edwards was deservedly applauded for a clever save from Smith, and later, at full length, was able to deflect a dangerous header by Thomson. Until the finish, Aberdeen had the better of the exchanges, but, their tendency to hang too long on the ball and a hesitation to shoot cost them point.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 22nd January 1923

Morton Teamsheet
Edwards, McIntyre, S. Davies; Buchanan, Wright, R. Brown; McNab, McKay, Carswell, A. Brown, McMinn
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Bell, Dundee
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride