Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Partick Thistle

Div 1 (Old)

17/02/1923 | KO: 15:00


No Goals at Aberdeen

Aberdeen and Partick Thistle each wrought hard to score at Pittodrie, and a pointless draw was due more to Wilkinson's brilliant defence between Partick's posts than perhaps anything else. Aberdeen had by far the greater part of the play in the first half, with a southerly cross wind slightly in their favour, but it was the trickiness of this wind which considerably operated against accurate shooting. When Salisbury and Ballantyne, on Partick's left wing, got away, they were occasionally dangerous.

Source: The Scotsman, 19th February 1923

Aberdeen had to be content to share the points in a goal-less draw with Partick Thistle at Pittodrie. On a cold afternoon, the match attracted only 11,000 spectators. Play throughout was disturbed by a high wind, and with many inaccuracies, the spectators did not have a great to enthuse over. Aberdeen had the wind in their favour in the first half, when they repeatedly attacked, but could not break down the really grand defence of Thistle. The home halfbacks and forwards worked well together in mid-field, but near goal they frequently got bunched, and what with indulging in close tactics and misdirecting their passes, often undid their own good work. All the same, Wilkinson in the Thistle goal had several dangerous shots to deal with, and it was chiefly due to his fine saving that Aberdeen did not lead substantially at the interval. He had one wonderful save off a surprise hooked shot by Rankine, and following numerous flag kicks that fell to Aberdeen, dealt in masterly style with awkward headers which came near to counting. Robertson and Milne had brilliant shots, which the Thistle custodian was able to clear or deflect, and he did well to avert disaster off a lightning-like shot by Smith. In this period the Thistle forwards were scarcely ever dangerous, and practically the only occasion on which Blackwell was called into action was when he left his charge to field a centre by Salisbury.


Aberdeen re-opened against the wind if they would carry everything before them. Off a centre by Smith, Swan shot against Wilkinson, who fell on the ball and resisted all efforts to dispossess him. The Thistle after this escape improved, and Blackwell had to concede a flag kick in saving a ball from Salisbury. Milne, for Aberdeen, had the ball in the net on one occasion, but the whistle had previously sounded for an infringement against one the visitors. Rankine just missed with a creditable try, and subsequently both goals were well visited. Wilkinson, near the bottom of the upright, was able to deflect a close-range shot by Rankine, and Blackwell had to exert himself to the full to deal with a number of dangerous shots, several corners being conceded. Donald and Salisbury both missed good chances for the Thistle, and near the close Wilkinson saved well from Swan and Grant.


Had Aberdeen taken their chances in the first half they must have held such a lead halftime as would have made the issue safe for them. As it was, the honours of the game went to the Thistle defence. Wilkinson played magnificently in goal, and O'Hare and Crichton defended well. Lambie and Gibson were towers of strength in the middle line, and in the forward line Donald, a junior from Kirkintilloch Harp, made a promising debut, the best of the others being Blair and Salisbury.
For Aberdeen, Blackwell had several grand saves. The backs, if a trifle shaky at times, got through their work well. The half-backs were the best division of the team, Milne and MacLachlan being outstanding, but Robertson was little behind. In an attack that did not work well at close quarters, Rankine and Middleton were best. Swan, who took Thomson's place at inside right, was disappointing, and Grant failed to reproduce the form shown on his two previous appearances at centre-forward. .

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 19th February 1923

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Wilkinson; O'Hare, Crichton; Johnstone, Lambie, Gibson; Blair, Macfarlane, Donald, Ballantyne, Salisbury
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Humphreys, Glasgow
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead