Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Hibernian scorers: Halligan 10, Ritchie 35

03/03/1923 | KO:


Hibernians Win Easily

The Hibernians at Easter Road beat Aberdeen by the same score as in the Cup tie a week earlier, but they won with much more ease. Indeed, so much superior were they that they indulged in fancy work that the Aberdonians could not tackle. The shot well and often, and McColl had bad luck in not scoring on three or four occasions. The Hibernians scored first by Halligan and later by Ritchie, and kept Aberdeen practically on the defence all the time. Blackwell, in goal, played well, and the side posts helped him at times. The Hibernian form was promising in view of their semi-final Cup tie this weekend. There were about 9000 spectators present.

Source: The Scotsman, 5th February 1923

The Aberdeen team's long immunity from defeat in the Scottish League competition came to an end on Saturday, when Hibernian beat them at Easter Road, Edinburgh, by 2 goals to 0. Previous to that Aberdeen had not been beaten in the League since Airdrieonians obtained the only goal at Pittodrie on December 23, and their previous away defeat was as far back as November 25, when they lost to Partick Thistle in Glasgow. In repeating the result, Hibernian confirmed the cup-tie form of a week before. They were distinctly the better side, and but for some good goalkeeping by Blackwell might have won by an even more decisive margin. Heavy rain before the game restricted the attendance to 10,000. and the ground was Very soft. Aberdeen had McBoyle, Moir, and Grant in place of Hutton, Middleton, and Connon, compared with the team beaten in the cup-tie, but Hibernian's only change was Cree (late Kilmarnock) in goal for Harper.
The first goal came ten minutes after the start. Halligan got possession, and dribbling on shot hard from close range to give Blackwell no chance. The second goal was registered after 35 minutes' play. Ritchie accepted a pass from Shaw, and after cutting in, shot with terrific force, the ball actually rebounding from the back of the net into play?a really brilliant goal.
On the Aberdeen side Blackwell and Forsyth were best in defence, with Milne and MacLachlan next in order, and the best of a poor set of forwards were Smith and Moir, who were badly served. In a clever all-round Hibernian team, McGinnigle, Kerr and Shaw in defence, and Halligan and Ritchie in attack were outstanding.


Early in the game McColl, when close in, completely missed the ball with practically an open goal in front. Aberdeen got away, and a fast shot by Smith crossed the Hibernian goal to go behind just wide of the post. Aberdeen promised well at this stage, and a shot by Grant missed narrowly. Then McBoyle was hurt, and until his return shortly afterwards Aberdeen played one back and were kept defending. Walker was a trifle wide with a good attempt from long range, and, off a centre by Ritchie, Shaw also sent wide. Shaw and MacLachlan collided, the first-named having to be carried off, but he resumed after an absence of five minutes. Blackwell saved finely from Miller, and following a corner kick, well placed by Walker, Milne brought relief. Blackwell was kept busy, and once did well to gather the ball when Forsyth nearly turned it through his own goal. Milne, for Aberdeen, got up to deliver a splendid shot, Cree saving at the expense of a fruitless corner. Ritchie volleyed the ball wide at Blackwell's end, and in an Aberdeen raid Miller was able to charge down a hard drive by Rankine. Play continued to favour Hibernian, and after Ritchie had scored the second goal, Forsyth repeatedly pulled up the home right wing. Blackwell did well to hold a surprise shot by Halligan, and subsequently had repeatedly to leave his goal and gather or kick clear from the inrushing Hibernian forwards. Near the interval Aberdeen had a clever combined run, which was nullified by McGinnigle clearing a centre from Moir. Grant forced a corner off McGinnigle, but Thomson beaded over. Although Aberdeen pressed for a time they failed to get into touch with Cree, and Hibernian easily retained their 2-0 lead at half-time.


Hibernian opened with a combined run, and a free kick against Milne just wide of the penalty area was cleared with difficulty by Smith. From another free kick near the 18-yards' line, Kerr volleyed in a terrific shot, which Blackwell cleared after having knocked the ball down. Later the Aberdeen goalkeeper again distinguished himself by holding a fast drive from Walker. A rush by Aberdeen resulted in Rankine lofting the ball high of Cree's charge when in favourable position. The relief for Aberdeen was only temporary, the Hibernian forwards were quickly back at Blackwell's end. A great shot by Kerr was deflected wide of the goal by MacLachlan, and after McColl had sent wide, Ritchie had a grand try, the ball going behind off the crossbar. Smith got away to test Cree with a ground shot, the goalkeeper allowing the ball to bounce out again, and Grant's attempt to backheel it into the net was nullified by McGinnigle. Moir livened up matters with a dash past Dornan. He centred finely, and Grant hooked the ball into Cree's hands. Most of the play, however, was at Blackwell's end. McColl hit the bottom of the upright for Forsyth to clear, and later the Aberdeen goalkeeper saved brilliantly from Ritchie, and followed this up with an equally clever save from Halligan, who shot from close range. Harassed by the backs, Grant shot wide for Aberdeen, but it was not often that the visitors were dangerous. Practically below the bar, McBoyle kicked clear from Ritchie's centre, and Blackwell was again called upon by Halligan. In a burst near the close Thomson caused Cree to go full length, but the game ended with Hibernian attacking and easily deserving of their 2-0 victory.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 5th March 1923

Hibernian Teamsheet
Cree; McGinnigle, Dornan; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Ritchie, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Walker
Attendance: 10,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: W. F. Campbell, Dundee
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen