Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Ayr United 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Ayr United 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Ayr United scorers: Cunningham 30, McLean 50
Aberdeen scorers: Thomson 35.

10/03/1923 | KO:


Ayr United wiped out the defeat they suffered at Aberdeen by turning the tables effectively upon their northern opponents at Ayr. During the greater part of the first half the visitors were kept defending, and Ayr, at the end of half an hour's play, scored by Cunningham. Five minutes later Thomson equalised for Aberdeen following a shot by Middleton. Five minutes after the restart McLean, the Ayr centre, hooked a cross from Kilpatrick past Blackwell. Ayr were the superior company all through, and their forwards gave the Aberdeen defence an anxious time. Blackwell was frequently called upon. Hutton, at right back, and Maclachlan, at right half, did much to counter Ayr's aggressive left wing, but the defenders on the other side of the field caught a tartar in Cunningham, whose crosses and shots were always a source of danger. The attendance would be about 5000.

Source: The Scotsman, 12th March 1923

Aberdeen were again on the losing side, on this occasion surrendering the League points to Ayr United at Somerset Park by the odd goal in three. There were about 5000 spectators on a fine afternoon, and the pitch was fast. The United opened the scoring after half-an-hour's play. The ball had crossed and recrossed the Ayr forward line until Cunningham caught on to a ground pass from Kilpatrick to beat Blackwell with a fast oblique shot along the ground. Aberdeen were only five minutes in arrears, Middleton centred accurately, and Nesbit in clearing fisted the ball to Thomson, who hooked the ball into the net from close range. The winning goal was scored after less than five minutes of the second half had gone. McLean received from Kilpatrick, and was able to turn the ball wide of Blackwell. Forsyth did actually get in a clearance, but not before the ball had crossed the goal-line and was almost in the net.


Both goals were visited in turn at the start. Milne headed clear off a centre by Cunningham, and, at the other end, Thomson hooked the ball on to the crossbar, off which it rebounded behind. McLean, for the United, shot wide, two successive flag kicks gave the Aberdeen defence trouble. Twice Smith, for Aberdeen, shot badly from favourable position, and on one occasion Grant just failed to reach a pass by Milne. Following a free kick, Thomson shot high for Aberdeen, who at this period were having the better of the exchanges. The United attack again got going, and Blackwell had to fist clear off a high dropping shot by Gibson. Then came the first-half goals. Towards the interval play again took a turn in favour of Aberdeen but the forwards could not break down the solid defence of Smith and McCloy. Grant, however, was unfortunate in failing to count with a brilliant shot, which missed the goal by inches. At the interval the scores were level, each team having scored once.


There were many refreshing passages of play in the second half. The Aberdeen left wing opened with a clever combined movement, but Smith, the Ayr right back, broke this up, and there was some hesitation on the part of the Aberdeen defence when McLean got the winning! goal. The Aberdeen forwards executed several clever movements in midfield, but they could not push home the attack, and subsequently Hutton, Forsyth, and Milne were often hard pressed, Blackwell saved a hard drive by McLean and shots by Slade and Mackenzie flashed just wide of his charge. In reply to this, the Aberdeen attack was quiet, although on several occasions Nesbit had to be nippy in clearing loose balls which Grant had followed up. In the latter stages there was considerable midfield play in which neither team could claim superiority, and on both sides the defence outshone the attack. On the Aberdeen side Blackwell, Hutton and Milne were outstanding, but none of the forwards showed their best form. For the United, Smith, McCloy, McLeod, Hogg, and Kilpatrick were best.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal 12th March 1923

Ayr United Teamsheet
Nisbet; Smith, McCloy; Hogg, McLeod, Gibson; Cunningham, Slade, John McLean, McKenzie, Kilpatrick
Attendance: 5,500
Venue: Somerset Park, Ayr
Referee: W. Bell, Hamilton
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead