Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Cook 53, French 58

15/09/1923 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen's Failure at Home

Morton defeated Aberdeen by two goals at Pittodrie. Aberdeen's failure to score was scarcely expected on the run of play, especially in the first half, when the home team's bombardment of Morton's goal was persistent. Miller, Smith, Moir, and Jackson were frequent triers, but all their efforts were frustrated by the brilliant defensive play of Edwards, the Morton custodian, and the backs, McIntyre and Allan, Aberdeen's combination was not all that could be desired, and individual efforts were always frustrated. Wright and Gourlay showed to advantage for the Greenock team.

Source: The Scotsman, 17th September 1923

Not for long has the Aberdeen team been able enjoy immunity from defeat in this season's Scottish League competition. At Pittodrie on Saturday they were beaten by Morton, who scored two goals without reply from the home team. It was a colourless display that was given by both teams, but victory went to the side that better deserved it. There were about 14,000 spectators. In the first half Aberdeen accounted for most of the attacking, but were unequal to breaking down the determined defence of Wright, McIntyre, and Allan, and an absence of shooting ability was a big contributory factor to their defeat. In the second half the home team had practically an equal share of the play, but the first half weaknesses were again in evidence and in the end they were well beaten. There was very little combination among the forwards, and while the half backs worked hard they were not as a line so effective as they had been in the earlier games. The backs did all that was required of them, but Blackwell appeared to be guilty when conceding the two goals registered. The Morton forwards were nippy, and they, too, did not indulge in much shooting, though there was more precision in their movements than those of Aberdeen. McKay, French, and Cook took the eye most, but it was in defence that the visitors were best served. Wright at centre-half was the outstanding player in the team, and McIntyre and Allan put up a dour, determined defence at back, while Edwards was clever between the uprights.


The visitors' goal was first to be endangered, a centre by Moir being cleared below the bar by Allan after Edwards had been beaten. French led the Greenock forwards cleverly, and off a free kick Wright shot wide. Play again veered in favour of Aberdeen, but first McIntyre and then Allan nullified movements that looked like being productive. Following this there were midfield exchanges, broken by a flag kick, which fell to McNab, but Jackson cleared. French initiated many attacks by the Greenock forwards, but Hutton's mastery over their left wing kept danger from developing. The Aberdeen left wing came into prominence when Smith got away to shoot over. Later he forced a corner, but Allan cleared when it seemed Grant would go through. French for Morton, and Miller for Aberdeen had shots which lacked sting, and Cook, for the visitors, shot over when favourably placed. A centre by Cook was fielded Blackwell, and then at the other end Edwards had to stop a hard drive by Hutton. Aberdeen kept up the attack for a time, and Grant shot over, as did Davidson. Out of his goal, Edwards was fortunate to get in the way of a shot by Miller, who shortly afterwards shook the goalkeeper with a great drive from long range. Thomson twice just missed with headed efforts, and near the interval, when Aberdeen attacked, Smith forced another fruitless comer off Edwards, and there was no scoring at half-time.


Aberdeen resumed as if they would soon make the issue safe, but Wright, McIntyre and Allan put up a great defence. With eight minutes the period gone Morton took the lead when least expected. From a free kick, Wright swung the ball out to the left, and Cook, who appeared be offside quickly made ground. From near the touch line he lifted the ball into goal, and it soared over Blackwell's head into the net. The Aberdeen forwards after this attacked in determined fashion, but were again beaten back, and only five minutes had elapsed when Morton increased their lead. French worked out to the right and when it appeared that Hutton and Forsyth would be beaten, Blackwell left his goal to assist them. The centre- forward, although sandwiched, managed to send the ball goalwards, and it eluded the advancing Blackwell to roll across goal-line below the bar. This second reverse roused the Aberdeen forwards to greater activity, and Edwards had to clear from Thomson and Grant. It was in vain that the home forwards attacked. McIntyre blocked what looked like being a counting shot by Grant, and Edwards deflected a terrific drive by Miller, the ball going to Smith, who sent behind off the crossbar. Successive flag kicks fell to the home attackers, but they could not break down a stout defence, and several shots were blocked. It was very rarely that the Morton forwards came into prominence, but French never lost an opportunity of making ground. It was largely the outcome of the centre-forward's work that led to Blackwell having to save on two occasions from French and Cook. Aberdeen attacked vigorously in the closing stages, and Edwards at full length on one occasion just managed deflect a fast ball from Grant Aberdeen applied the pressure until the end, but did not have the consolation of even one goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 17th September 1923

Morton Teamsheet
Edwards; McIntyre, Allan; Buchanan, Wright, Gordon; McNab, Gourlay, French, McKay, Cook
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. P. Rowe, Glasgow
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride