Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 2 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 2 - 1 Aberdeen

SPFL Development League
Partick Thistle scorers: McLaughlin 13, 31
Aberdeen scorers: Wells 15.

03/10/2017 | KO: 18:00

The Young Dons travelled to Airdrie to meet Partick Thistle looking to build on a solid start to their Development League campaign which saw them kick off in fourth spot in the table. Thistle currently stand seventh but are only one point worse off than the Dons, having already registered good wins at Ross County and at Hamilton, so a close encounter was on the cards.

The Dons starting eleven showed two changes from the side which lined up against St Johnstone last week, Archie Mair taking over in goal from David Craddock while Bruce Anderson replaced Frank Ross. Thistle kicked off in bitterly cold conditions but Aberdeen dominated the early possession with Ethan Ross prominent in the opening minutes. Although they didn't create anything clear cut the team was passing the ball around well and keeping Thistle at arm's length. Indeed Archie Mair had to wait until the ten minute mark before he got a touch of the ball. Totally against the run of play Thistle snatched the lead in the 13th minute as McLaughlin latched on to a long ball out of defence from the Jags trialist right back to touch the ball past Mair. A real stunner for the Dons who had looked completely in control.
However the lads responded in the right fashion as they drew level just two minutes after Thistle's goal. A free kick was awarded to the Dons about 30 yards from goal and Toby Wells' deflected shot flew past the stranded trialist keeper to make it 1-1.
The Jags responded well and Ryan Harrington - 19 today - had to respond well to clear a dangerous McLaughlin cross. It was shaping up nicely to be an entertaining spectacle despite the wintry feel to conditions. Wells picked out Bruce Anderson in the box as the Dons continued to press but the ball wouldn't sit for the striker and the chance was lost. Thistle forced their first corner after a good forward run from Fleming but Mair cleared the dangerous flag kick from Lamont. On 31 minutes the Jags regained the lead after good build up play on the right. Lamont cut the ball back for McLaughlin to side-foot a ten yard shot past Mair. Minutes later the striker was denied a hat-trick when Mair turned his fierce angled drive round the post for a corner. It was a fine save from the young keeper from Turriff who starred for Scotland's Under 17s against Wales last month.
A forceful run from Seb Ross caused some panic in the Thistle defence but the trialist right back stood up well and cleared the danger. Aberdeen were still enjoying the majority of possession but were finding a well drilled Jags defence difficult to penetrate. Anderson tried his luck from distance after picking up a wayward throw in but his right footed effort sailed high and wide of the target. That was the last attack of the first half so Thistle went into the break with their noses in front having weathered plenty of pressure but converting the two chance which had come their way.

Half time Partick Thistle 2 Aberdeen 1

Neither side made any changes at the interval. Thistle were first to show and Mair was forced into a smart save from Eadie's neat shot on the turn on 49 minutes. Just before the hour mark good play from Campbell and Antoniazzi set Anderson up but a superb last ditch block from Kelly deflected the striker's shot wide. Connor McLennan was thrown into the fray seconds later taking the place of Antoniazzi. The substitute, who had impressed at the weekend for his loan club Brechin against St Mirren, was right into things quickly and saw a fine left footed effort from distance deflected just over.
Thistle were seeing much more of the ball in the second period and Mair was again called into action to save Fleming's shot from twenty yards. Aberdeen made loud claims for a penalty when Mbayo was tugged back in the box as he tried to turn a Wells free kick goalwards but the referee was unmoved. Harlain took his protest too far and was booked. Hutchison replaced Anderson for the Dons just before McLaughlin came within inches of notching his third goal of the night, his chipped effort coming off bar and post before dropping into the grateful hands of Mair. Fitzpatrick and Ian Stokes came on for Fleming and Eadie for the home side with quarter of an hour left.
Aberdeen's final switch saw MacKenzie replace Ethan Ross for the final six minutes of the game. McLaughlin was booked for time-wasting as the Dons continued to press for the equaliser, even sending Mair forward for a ninety third minute corner, but eventually the clock beat them.

A disappointing night for Paul Sheerin's kids, although they had lots of possession they didn't convert it into chances.
Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Stevenson (Trialist), Niang (Trialist), Fleming (I Stokes 76), Granger, Kelly (C), Wilson, Lamont, Eadie (Fitzpatrick 76), McLaughlin, Higgins, J Stokes. Unused substitutes - Sneddon, Duncanson

Bookings:  McLaughlin 90
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Mair, Harrington, Wells, Campbell, Mbayo, Roscoe, Ross (MacKenzie 84), Ross, Dangana, Anderson (Hutchison 72), Antoniazzi (McLennan 60).

Unused Subs: Chesser, Craddock.

Bookings:  Mbayo (72).
Venue: Excelsior Stadium, Airdrie
Next Match
Ross County
19 May 2024 / 15:00 / Victoria Park, Dingwall