Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dundee

Div 1 (Old)

18/10/1924 | KO: 15:00


Aberdeen had the better of the game against Dundee at Aberdeen, and would have won if they had accepted their chances. As it was, Dundee were quite worthy of the point they secured. In the second period Aberdeen found their attack well held by Dundee's dour defenders. Aberdeen had, indeed, shot their bolt in the first half as far as effective attack was concerned; but, on the other hand, the home defenders were easily equal to the calls made upon them by the visitors. For Aberdeen the outstanding players were J. Jackson, Hutton, and Edward in defence, and Paton and Rankine in attack; and for Dundee, Thomson at back, McNab at centre half, Irving, McLean, and Hunter were prominent. Over 16,000 spectators saw a keenly contested match.

Source: The Scotsman, 20th October 1924

Aberdeen and Dundee met in the first of their northern "derbies' for the season at Pittodrie on Saturday, and the result of a keen and gruelling encounter was a goal-leas draw. There were 18,000 spectators. The result was creditable to both, but, on the run of the play, and considering their undoubted superiority in the first half, Aberdeen ought to have won. That they failed was in some measure due to their lack of finishing power, and some had luck, but mostly to the dogged defence put up by the visitors. Except for spasmodic runs by the Dundee forwards, the home attack practically over-ran the opposition in the period. There was a different tale in the second half, when the exchanges were more even. As the score indicates, the honours of the game rested with the respective defences, all the units of whom put in a hard afternoon's work. The half-backs on both sides toiled with terrier-like tenacity. None of them knew when he was beaten, and it was largely due to their penchant for running and their fine covering that few really dangerous shots reached the goalkeepers. Considering they took the field with substitutes for Ross, Rankine, Halliday, and Nicholson of their usual team, Dundee put up a splendid fight. The deputies, especially Brown and McNab in defence, came through the game with flying colours, and even allowing that in doing so they were indebted an element of luck, it was a capital performance the part of Dundee to save a point. Aberdeen on the whole gave a fairly satisfactory display, and had they been rewarded with one goal they would only have got their due. The team was well served in defence. Blackwell had a fairly easy afternoon, although he had always to be on the alert. At back, J. Jackson and Forsyth were several times in difficulties, especially in the second half, but they played well. Forsyth being rather safer than his partner, whose impetuosity twice had his goal in danger. On one occasion he misjudged badly in passing back to his goalkeeper, but luckily the ball went wide of the goal. At another time, he kicked the ball against an advancing forward, but again it went behind. The home half backs met with much success. Edward tackled and placed well, and at centre half Hutton gave an effective display. He tackled strongly, and on several occasions forced the game, although he was a little inconsistent in his efforts to get the ball away to advantage. MacLachlan at left half was full of running, and featured good tackling. In the first half the forwards gave a capital display. They made ground very fast, and with the wingers getting plenty of the ball and centring with accuracy the game was kept open. In front of goal they were none too successful, however, and yet several of their efforts were worthy of a goal. Paton and A. Jackson made a clever combination on the right, and in the first half repeatedly had the Dundee defence in trouble, but W. Jackson was too well watched at centre forward to be able to cap their good work. Rankin and Smith on the left were also seen to advantage in the first half, but they got less of the ball in the second half, although had Smith been better plied he might have executed some damage.


The strength of Dundee lay in defence. They hid a reliable if not brilliant goalkeeper in Britton, who was ready for all emergencies, albeit an upright came to his assistance on one occasion, and his goal had several narrow escapes off "headers" by Rankin. Thomson gave a brilliant display at right back, and was the best back afield. Not only did he show fine judgment in keeping the Aberdeen right wing at bay, but was responsible for his team's scheme of defence, and his aptitude for being in the right place at a critical moment prevented Aberdeen from scoring on at least two occasions. Brown, if not crafty, gave him whole-hearted assistance. McNab, who made his debut for the Dundee first eleven, gave a splendid account of himself at centre-half. A tremendous worker, he broke up repeated Aberdeen attacks, and rendered valuable service with head and feet in getting rid of many dangerous balls from the Aberdeen wingers. Irving, at right half, played judiciously, and Coyle, on the other side of the field, owed his success largely to his co-operation with Thomson. Although occasionally dangerous, the Dundee attack was distinctly inferior to that of Aberdeen. Knox, on the right, was inclined to be too individualistic, and McLean, at inside right, if showing craft on occasion, was slow. Duncan might have been a greater source of danger to the Aberdeen defence had he been better supported. At inside left Hunter got away some nice passes, but McDonald spoilt his effectiveness by failing to get the ball more frequently across, and the line suffered, like Aberdeen, by the absence of a really dangerous shootest.


Dundee were responsible for the initial attack, Forsyth repelling an advance by Knox and McLean. The ball travelled quick to the other end, where A. Jackson slipped and failed to get over a centre. Aberdeen kept up the pressure, and twice Britton had to leave his goal and go to the assistance of his backs. W. Jackson wriggled through, and was in the act of shooting when Britton grabbed the ball. He fell and lost possession, but Thomson went to the rescue. A raid by the Dundee left finished with Blackwell diverting a shot by McDonald, and following this the Aberdeen goal had a narrow escape. Blackwell was drawn out, and it looked as if a shot from Duncan would find the net, but Forsyth, on the goal-line, deflected the ball against the crossbar, and Blackwell, who had returned into goal, cleared from the rebound. Aberdeen again took up the attack and virtually stormed the Dundee defence. A. Jackson, W. Jackson, and Smith all had shots blocked by defenders, and off a centre from the right Rankin, with a header, missed the goal by the narrowest of margins. Keeping up the attack, it seemed Aberdeen would be bound to score, but the visitors concentrated in front of goal, where Thomson and McNab did great work. A hard shot by Paton was finely saved by Britton, and Smith crashed the ball against an upright. The Dundee goal enjoyed more good luck when Rankin twice headed inches wide. Hutton, too, joined in the attack and battered a couple of hard drives against defenders. At length the pressure on the Dundee goal was relieved by McLean and Knox indulging in a raid, but Blackwell cleared the inside forward's try. In another rush by Aberdeen. W. Jackson netted, but offside had previously been sounded. A free kick by Hutton was deflected for a corner, and following it Rankin headed over. Knox was generously plied on the Dundee right, but was well held by Forsyth, and the Aberdeen pressure continued almost unbroken until the interval, when Dundee were fortunate to be level, although deserving credit for their plucky defence.


Aberdeen resumed in promising fashion, and Irving cleared after A. Jackson had centred. McLean endeavoured to get through for Dundee, and the Aberdeen goal was endangered when in clearing J. Jackson kicked the ball against him and it rebounded wide of Blackwell's charge. A centre by McDonald was headed into Blackwell's hands by Duncan, and a faulty pass back by J. Jackson gave the visitors a corner, off which Hutton cleared. For a time play was largely confined to midfield, but the Dundee goal was the first to be endangered, a shot by Alec Jackson missing by inches. Aberdeen maintained the attacks for a spell, and Paton dribbled three opponents but lost possession. Knox, for Dundee, had a long sprint, and reached favourable position for shooting, but, harassed by Forsyth, he sent behind, and later Duncan and McLean both shot wildly. Subsequently each side attacked in turn, but neither goalkeeper was seriously tested. There were stoppages for minor injuries to players on both sides. The most serious of these befell J. Jackson, but he was able to resume after an absence of a few minutes. Britton saved off Paton's head at the expense of a corner, and following the taking of this the keeper saved from Jackson. For Dundee, McLean had a chance, but, with only Blackwell in front, sent wide, and at the visitors' end Aberdeen were dangerous, when Dundee found relief through the medium of a free kick for Paton illegally charging the goalkeeper. Play was fast and keen to the end, with the defenders holding the upper hand.

Source: Press & Journal, 20th October 1924

Dundee Teamsheet
Britton; Brown, Thomson Irving, McNab, Coyle; Knox, McLean, Duncan, Hunter, McDonald
Attendance: 18,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Robertson, Bishopbriggs