Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Falkirk 2 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Falkirk 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Alliance League
Falkirk scorers: McGrogan 19, Rice 65
Aberdeen scorers: Campbell, Scott, Brady.

14/09/1937 | KO:




The injuries " hoodoo " continues to dog Aberdeen, and yet another player has been injured?seriously, it is feared.

Playing last night at Falkirk in an Alliance League fixture, George Taylor, the promising reserve who was at centre-forward, collapsed suffering from head injuries. He did not respond to the trainer's treatment, and was taken from the field on a stretcher to Falkirk and District Infirmary suffering from concussion.

DESERVED POINTS,/p> The ten Dons left refused to let this blow upset them, and they made a real fighting reply to the Bairns' moves in the second-half, so much so that they gained the leading goal and held it. It was a good game all over, with the Aberdonians just a wee bit fortunate to take away both points, but they thoroughly deserved them in view of their second-half display.
McGill and Newton were a remarkably sound pair of backs, and the former's coaching remarks, while annoying the home spectators, undoubtedly helped the two young players in front of him, Mackie and Campbell.
Kelly, Erskine and Donald made up a sound defence. In attack, G. Scott and Brady were prominent throughout. Before his injury, the centre showed himself clever in distribution but lacking in the finishing shot.
Falkirk's young team made a good show although they were beaten, but they had their chances to win but did not take them. This was specially so in the second-half, when they failed to utilise their advantage of the extra man.
In the opening stages the Aberdeen defenders were uncertain, and Rice and Fleming almost got through with close dribbles. Kelly was in constant action for a time, but Brady raised the siege with smart run and shot which went over. Then Fleming headed a right wing cross against the crossbar with Kelly well beaten.
In nineteen minutes, Falkirk gained a well-deserved lead when McGrogan scored direct from a corner kick. Kelly was unsighted by McGill.
The Bairns did not enjoy their lead long, and a neat cross-field pass let Campbell in, and the winger's shot, found the net. Almost immediately after Falkirk were awarded a penalty, but Cant shot past.
Just on the interval came the unfortunate mishap to the Dons' centre, who had to be carried off.


In the second period. Aberdeen, although mostly on the defensive in the opening stages, seemed quite able to cope with all Falkirk's attacks. After twenty minutes, however, Rice headed the ball out of Kelly's hands, and then tapped it into the net to give Falkirk the lead.
Again, however, the Dons fought back, and with a smashing left wing raid, tangled up the Bairns' defence, and G. Scott dashed in to score the best goal of the game. Aberdeen played with even more confidence now, and Brady, who had taken the centre position with a roving commission, chased a long pass, and beating Cant on the run, lobbed the ball high into the air towards goal. Smith, misjudging the ball, came out, and it went over his head into the net for what proved to be the winning goal.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th September 1937

Falkirk Teamsheet
Smith; McPhee, Naismith; White, Cant, Duffy; Anderson, Young, Rice, Fleming, McGrogan
Venue: Brockville Park, Falkirk
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen