Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 3 Celtic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Celtic

Scottish Cup Semi Final
Celtic scorers: Forrest 45, Edouard 61(P), Rogic 69

14/04/2019 | KO: 14:00

9 Man Dons Falter at Hampden

Aberdeen were forced into a late change after Niall McGinn injured himself in training on Saturday morning. It was a big blow for The Dons. Niall has chipped his ankle and will miss the rest of the season.

Within the first minute hesitation at the back by McKenna allowed McGregor space to run into. His low cross was about to land at the feet of Edouard with Forrest also there but Considine came over to make a brilliant tackle, taking the ball as well as both Celtic players.

On four minutes Simunovic was allowed to run 40 yards without a tackle and once he reached the edge of the area he put in a low shot which produced a superb save from Lewis at full stretch. The keeper had to get down low and tip the ball round the post with his left hand. From the corner Simunovic had another great chance when his late run into the area was not checked but he was unable to good enough contact and Dean Campbell on the post watched the ball go past.

Moments later Hayes on the left got in behind but his low cross went beyond everyone before Christie curled a shot over the bar.

It had been a fast start from Celtic.

After eight minutes a push by Brown on Stewart gave Aberdeen some much needed territory up the field and a free kick in a good area. All the defenders went forward but the Dons tried to play it short ? Stewart did well initially to beat his man but was then crowded out.

By the 15 minute mark, Aberdeen had at least settled and got their defensive shape sorted.

After 17 minutes lovely play by Stewart inside his own half released Cosgrove. The Dons won a throw-in on the left which was taken quickly by May to McLennan. The winger flicked the ball over the defender, but Bain was able to gather.

A few minutes later Aberdeen got themselves in trouble when they gave away possession on the half way line. Celtic worked it to Forrest who was one on one with Considine. He went around the defender but then threw himself to the ground looking for a penalty. Referee Craig Thomson booked the winger for diving.

On 24 minutes Tierney twisted and turned his way to the by-line. His cut back picked out Edouard but the Dons defence did well to prevent a clear shot on target and Ferguson was able to hack the deflected effort away.

After 26 minutes Dom Ball was booked for a trip on Hayes, a booking which would prove to be costly. It was extremely harsh as it was Dom?s first foul of the game and Jonny had run the ball out of play.

After the half hour mark there was a slightly comical moment when the ball boy caught the ball before it had gone behind for a goal kick. Credit to Edouard who refused to contest the bounce ball and put it behind for an Aberdeen goal kick.

In the 35th minute a neat move down the right involving Stewart allowed Dom Ball to put over a dangerous cross which found Cosgrove in space and his first time effort went just past the post. It was a difficult chance but the striker did not quite catch it the way he wanted.

A minute later disaster for the Dons when Dom Ball was given a second yellow card for a foul on Ryan Christie. It was accidental but the referee deemed it to be reckless. Aberdeen had a chance to reorganise as Christie was stretchered off with a head injury. He was replaced by Tom Rogic whilst Aberdeen brought on Devlin for May.

In the last minute of the 45, the ten men of Aberdeen produced a nice move which saw Stewart clip in a cross for Ferguson and his header was not far away.

The Dons then had six minutes of injury time to survive but it was not to be. In the second minute of added time Forrest picked the ball up thirty yards out, he was allowed to run into space and he punished the Dons when his shot found the back of the net. The same player should have added a second two minutes later but Lewis made a great save with his feet. The goal was a real moment of quality and a hammer blow for The Dons.

It was going to be a long second period for the Dons who would have to work tirelessly to stay in the game.

In the 50th minute Max Lowe missed a good opportunity for a cross when he slipped in an advanced position but the same player did brilliantly a few minutes later to clear a McGregor shot off the line with the back of his heel. On 53 minutes Considine was booked for taking down Edouard on the edge of the area. The free kick deflected up off the wall and the Dons were able to clear.

Aberdeen had done well but to stay in the game but Cosgrove was getting nothing up front, Celtic crowding him out on and off the ball.

Then on the hour mark it was all but game over as Devlin let a ball go over his head and Hayes nipped in. There seemed to be very little contact but the former Aberdeen winger went to ground and referee Thomson pointed to the spot. Lewis went the right way but Edouard found the net.

Frustration was then beginning to creep into the game as Lowe picked up a yellow card for a late challenge on Brown. Again Celtic had a free kick on the edge of the area but the wall did its job.

On 67 minutes Lewis Ferguson was shown a straight red for a foul on Rogic and there were no arguments this time round. Celtic made a mess of the free kick but the ball landed at the feet of Rogic who swept it into the bottom corner from 20 yards.

After the goal Gleeson came on for Stewart as Aberdeen looked to control the damage with nine men.

Just after the restart Lewis tipped over a powerful strike from Hayes. The big keeper couldnt be faulted for his efforts.

With about fifteen minutes to go Derek McInnes was sent to the stand. Tony Docherty had also been sent off at half time so Paul Sheerin took over on the touch line.

Cosgrove was replaced by James Wilson with five minutes remaining. With a minute to go Lewis again was on top form to tip an Edouard shot around the post.

A very disappointing afternoon as nothing went for the Dons.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Ball, Considine, McKenna, Lowe, Ferguson, Campbell, May (Wilson 43), Stewart (Gleeson 70), McLennan, Cosgrove (Wilson 85).

Unused Subs: Halford, Ross, Virtanen, Cerny.

Bookings:  Ball (27),  Ball (36),  Considine (54),  Lowe (64),  Ball (36),  Ferguson (67).
Celtic Teamsheet
29.Bain, 23.Lustig, 05.Simunovic, 35.Ajer, 63.Tierney, 08.Brown, 42.McGregor, 49.Forrest (30.Weah 75), 17.Christie (18.Rogic 42), 15.Hayes (11.Sinclair 75), 22.Edouard. Unused Subs: 02.Toljan, 21.Ntcham, Vries, 32.Benkovic.

Bookings:  49.Forrest (23)
Attendance: 46,773
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Craig Thomson
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride