Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Mirren 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Mirren 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
St. Mirren scorers: MacPherson 35
Aberdeen scorers: May 30 (Pen), Cosgrove 61.

15/12/2018 | KO: 15:00

Cosgrove and May Send Dons into Top Four

Aberdeen made one change for the trip to Paisley, Connor McLennan started in place of Scott Wright. It was a horrendous day weather wise with continuous sleet and snow, but it meant the pitch was nice and slick by kick off.

A lovely sweeping move on four minutes led to McLennan crossing for Cosgrove, he could not get enough on it but Max Lowe coming in behind won the first corner of the afternoon. Looking on, it appeared that the Dons had a considerable height advantage but on this occasion the home side managed to clear their lines.  

After the seventh minute Stephen McGinn almost found Simeon Jackson with a through ball. A short time after, former Thistle man Ryan Edwards then found himself through on goal but the offside flag went up. It looked a tight call.

The game struggled to get going in the opening stages as both teams were a bit careless with their play. In the 12th minute there was room for Cosgrove about 30 yards out. He had options left and right therefore his decision to shoot was maybe not the right one as his low shot never troubled Dean Lyness in the Saints goal.

On the quarter hour mark Lyness put a poor kick out straight to McLennan. The winger ran in on goal but was unable to beat the last defender and the chance was lost. Again he probably chose the wrong option as May was well positioned on the penalty spot. In the 18th minute Niall McGinn was the latest Aberdeen player to break forward, he also elected to shoot and although he caught the ball well it was always on the rise.

In recent encounters between the sides Aberdeen had completely dominated the midfield area early on but there was a real battle in there today with some tough tackles flying in.

On 25 minutes that man Edwards again, breaking from midfield, almost got free after a neat through ball but Shay Logan made an outstanding last ditch tackle. It had to be timed perfectly.

A minute later McLennan beat his marker but his cross was way overhit. Then a minute after that the winger produced brilliant feet to win a free kick on the edge of the area. McGinn took it and went near post, he curled the ball beautifully over the wall but Lyness produced a very decent save, tipping it over as the ball was heading right into the top corner.

McGinn then played over the corner from which Alfie Jones pulled down Considine and the referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot. There was little complaint from the St Mirren player who also received a yellow card.  Stevie May took the responsibility with the penalty and confidently sent Lyness the wrong way and Aberdeen into the lead.

Aberdeen then enjoyed a good little spell when May and Cosgrove had half chances, but like Tuesday, the lead did not last long.

Frustratingly it was the Dons who had a promising break but lost possession and eventually the home side won a free kick about 35 yards out. Adam Hammill, who has scored some stunning long range goals recently, shaped to have a crack but instead chipped in a great disguised ball which found Cammy MacPherson unmarked inside the six yard box and he fired the ball into the net.

On 37 minutes a free kick out wide was flicked on by May and a Saints defender just managed to turn the ball to safety. From the corner St Mirren again struggled to win the first ball but after three challenges they eventually survived. Surely Aberdeen could benefit from a set-piece if they got the delivery right?

Half time: St Mirren 1 Aberdeen 1

On 50 minutes Edwards was the first player to get a shot on target in the second half but from an angle his effort was straight at a well positioned Lewis.

A Shinnie tackle almost defected into the path of Cosgrove before on 52 minutes big Sam did brilliantly to shield the ball and then thread a pass through for Stevie May. The striker was one on one with Lyness but the keeper produced a really strong hand to make a very good save.  

After 55 minutes McLennan went down in the box as he went for a McGinn cross but the referee ignored the penalty appeals. On 57 minutes Lowe was booked for a late challenge as the Dons lost their shape momentarily. Then Hodson was booked for a foul on McGinn. Niall took the free kick and found Considine unmarked in the six yard box. The defender?s header was brilliantly saved by Lyness who somehow managed to tip the ball onto the bar but Sam Cosgrove was following up and headed the ball into the empty net. The striker?s reactions were just as good as the keeper seconds before. The striker more than deserved his goal for the all round performance.  

Aberdeen then enjoyed a dominant spell. For the first time they had some control of the game. They forced a number of corners and free kicks. On 69 minutes from another set-piece Cosgrove cleverly chested the ball down to McLennan on the edge of the area but his shot was pulled wide.

Cosgrove had led the line superbly all afternoon. He was winning everything but also bringing others players into play.

With fifteen minutes to go Jones was replaced by ex Don Cammy Smith. At the same time Stevie May was replaced by Dom Ball.

On 77 minutes Hammill was booked for bringing down Cosgrove. From the free kick McGinn could not hit the wall.

Two minutes later a nice move down the left ? most of the Aberdeen attacks had come down the right ? but on this occasion Lowe and Cosgrove found Ferguson. His low cross was spilled by Lyness but Cosgrove could not quite get on the end of it.

On 80 minutes Hammill was replaced by Cammy Breadner. On 83 minutes Ball found Cosgrove but his low shot was easily saved.

Aberdeen did have some defending to do in the final stages, Considine had a really good game at the back, well positioned to win everything in the air.

With five minutes to go Scott Wright replaced Connor McLennan. Then Shinnie had to make a really good tackle as the Saints threatened down the right. There were some nervous moments in the three minutes of added time as the Dons could not get possession. They were forced deeper and deeper as balls rained down on top of them, but the defence stood firm.

The Dons continue to move their way up the table.

St. Mirren Teamsheet
26.Lyness, 15.Baird, 35.Ferdinand, 19.Jones (10.Smith 76), 21.Hodson, 28.MacPherson, 04.McGinn, 27.Edwards, 39.Erhahon, 77.Hammill (40.Breadner 81), 11.Jackson. Unused Subs: 14.Kirkpatrick, 16.McShane, 22.Willock, 42.Wilson, 44.Eckersley.

Bookings:  19.Jones (30),   27.Edwards (37),   21.Hodson (60),   77.Hammill (78).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis, Logan, McKenna, Considine, Lowe, Ferguson, Shinnie, McLennan (Wright 86), May (Ball 76), McGinn, Cosgrove.

Unused Subs: , , , , .

Bookings:  Ferguson (37),  Lowe (59).
Attendance: 4,699
Venue: St Mirren Park (Greenhill Road), Paisley
Referee: Greg Aitken
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen