Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 1 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 1 - 2 Aberdeen

Scottish Premiership
Hibernian scorers: Shaw 9
Aberdeen scorers: Considine 12, Mackay-Steven 22.

02/02/2019 | KO: 15:00

Dons Come from Behind To Earn Important Easter Road Victory

The Dons returned to league duty after overcoming Stenhousemuir in the Scottish Cup on Tuesday. There were two changes for the visitors with Mackay-Steven coming in for McGinn and Scott Wright, who joined Dundee on Deadline Day, making way for Stevie May.

Eddie May was in charge once again for Hibs following the departure of Neil Lennon as they looked to follow on from Sunday's 3-1 win at St Mirren.

The Dons started off strongly and won a corner early, but it was cleared. Then on eight minutes Hibs took the lead. Firstly, Mallan drove an effort on target that was beaten away by Lewis. The goalkeeper wasn't able to stop a second effort in the next phase as Shaw got away from Shinnie and found the bottom corner from the edge of the box. Not the start we were looking for.

Immediately the visitors looked for a response. They won a free kick on the edge of the Hibs box with Greg Stewart stepping up. The free kick was deflected off the wall and the Hibs defence failed to clear their lines. It fell to Cosgrove who did everything right and smashed the effort from 12 yards on target but it was somehow blocked on the line. The ball came back in from GMS and Considine headed home from close range to level it up.

Unfortunately, The Dons lost their top scorer moments later when Cosgrove took a knock. The big striker tried to shake it off but was unable to continue and James Wilson replaced.

Aberdeen were the team on the ascendancy and Max Lowe was causing all sorts of problems down the left as was Greg Stewart. The new signing was looking hungry and fired a volley from distance that was held well by Marciano.

Two minutes later it was 2-1 to Aberdeen!

Greg Stewart again tried an audacious effort from 25 yards and this time Marciano didn't deal with it properly as he palmed it into the path of the onrushing Stevie May. The Dons striker was denied by the keeper, who scrambled to his feet, but Mackay Steven was there to follow up and give The Dons the lead and deservedly so. The goal was Gary's sixth in this fixture after he netted the winner earlier in the December meeting.

For the next fifteen minutes it became a bit of a battle in the midfield, although The Dons were creating good spaces in the final third.

Andy Considine was booked for pulling back Kamberi and Hibs were awarded the free kick. Only one man was going to take it as Mallan stepped up. His effort was dangerous, but went inches wide as Lewis was left scrambling. Joe was left in a spot of bother after colliding with the post and drew blood above the eye. The wound left the Dons number one unable to continue and he was replaced by Thomas Cerny, who came on for a debut.

The Red Army behind the goal showed their support for both keepers and Aberdeen had been forced into two unforced changes before the break.

Despite the difficulties of dealing with two injuries The Dons ended the half strongly. Once again Marciano was looking suspect in goals and played a slack back pass out to the feet of James Wilson. The striker was able to find his feet and fired just wide from a central area.

After a long period of extra time added, the referee brought proceedings to a close. After a shaky start, The Dons recovered brilliantly to comeback and were well worthy for their lead.

Half time Hibs 1-2 Aberdeen

The tempo from the first half followed through into the second half and the visitors went hunting for the crucial third from kick off. They had the best chance to do that when Ferguson was brought down by Gray inside the box. Don Robertson pointed to the spot giving Mackay-Steven the chance to make it three. Unfortunately, Gary couldn't take advantage and his spot kick was saved by Marciano, who dived low to the left hand side.

The tide of the game changed and Hibs sparked into life. They went straight up the park and Shaw had the ball in the net, but there was a flag up on the far side thankfully.

The Dons made their final change on the hour mark with Stevie May departing for Gleeson as the visitors changed up the tactics.

Debutant Cerny was called into action a number of times in quick succession and on 65 minutes made an excellent diving save to deny from a Hibs corner.

Hibs continued the pressure, but The Dons remained strong at the back. With the game entering its final quarter, James Wilson had a huge chance to make wrap it up. The on loan Manchester United man picked up the ball inside the Hibs half and drove at the defence, beating one and setting himself up for a shot. James took the ball onto his weaker right side, but the shot was saved by Marciano. The move deserved to find the back of the net, but it remained 2-1.

As the clocked ticked down the Aberdeen defence were tested, but Hoban and Considine were winning everything at the heart of the defence and the forward players did the dirty work by winning free kicks and slowing the game up. In truth Hibs never caused any major problems and if anything, the visitors looked the more likely.

Three minutes were added on at the 90 and The Dons passed up a golden chance to finish the job. Wilson linked up really well with Stewart as Hibs were left exposed at the back. A neat through ball sent the striker through and he did everything right, but fired wide.

His performance deserved a goal, but it proved to be the last chance as The Dons held on for a fantastic three points. In truth the scoreline should have been more, but the 2,000 - strong travelling support behind the goal won't mind as they leave with the points.

To a man it was an excellent display from Aberdeen and they can now look forward to a mouth-watering clash with Rangers on Wednesday night.

Hibernian Teamsheet
01.Marciano, 24.McGregor, 05.Milligan, 04.Hanlon, 02.Gray, 08.Slivka, 06.Bartley (20.Bigirimana 54), 14.Mallan (13.Gauld 75), 16.Stevenson, 22.Kamberi, 32.Shaw (09.McNulty 67). Unused Subs: 18.Nelom, 21.Johnson, 31.Bogdan, 40.Omeonga.

Bookings:  Hanlon (10),   Kamberi (62),   Stevenson (83).
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Lewis (Cerny 45), Logan, Hoban, Considine, Lowe, Stewart, Ferguson, Shinnie, Mackay-Steven, Cosgrove (Wilson 19), May (Gleeson 62).

Unused Subs: Campbell, Ball, McLennan, McGinn.

Bookings:  Considine (41),  Hoban (73).
Attendance: 16,269
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Don Robertson
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries