Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 2 Heart of Midlothian

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Heart of Midlothian

Div 1 (Old)
Heart of Midlothian scorers: McNeil 2

05/12/1925 | KO: 14:15


A two goals margin in favour of the Heart of Midlothian against Aberdeen at Aberdeen did not accurately indicate the run of the play. At the end of the first half, which was marked by a good deal of scrappy football, the home team could claim to have been the more dangerous, although they had nothing to show for their work. A fast drive by Jackson, which was luckily turned over the bar by Rumage, who was playing for the day at left back, and a feeble miss by the same player when the goal lay open before him, were chances that should have borne fruit. With fewer opportunities the visitors scored twice in the second half by McNeil, who made some amends for an indifferent display otherwise by getting the goals that made the points safe for the Edinburgh club. John White, the Hearts' forward, and Miller did the leading up work. On neither side did the forward play reach a high standard, and the honours of the match lay with the respective defence. The Tynecastle backs in particular acquitted themselves with distinction in weathering a long period of pressure in the second half. During that time the goal ran more than one narrow escape, the ball on one occasion striking a post and rebounding into play. After being unlucky with one or two good efforts early in the game, the Aberdeen forwards did not improve, and their finishing was weak. Carroll, Aberdeen's centre-forward, was very little in evidence, and the most danger to the Hearts' goal came from Jackson and Smith. The Tynecastle men took the chances that were given them, and for that, and also for their stout defence, they deserved to win. John White was badly stunned through a fall just before the call of time, and had to receive medical attention after being carried to the pavilion. There was an attendance of about 10,000.

Aberdeen sustained their fifth home defeat of the season on Saturday, when Hearts beat them at Pittodrie by 2 goals to 0. The visitors were flattered by the score, but they deserved to win if only for the fact that they had a more penetrative attack. On a bitterly cold afternoon the game attracted about 12,000 spectators. The ground was hard, but footing was surprisingly good, and a fast and keen game resulted. Over the piece, Aberdeen accounted for more attacking work, but while they easily made progress in midfield, their efforts at finishing were weak in the extreme. There was an absence of combination, and individual efforts were not attended by success. Blackwell did well to deal with several dangerous shots, but might have averted the second goal. Hutton at back played exceedingly well, and Bruce, if not quite so dependable, also came through the game with credit. The team was only moderately served at half-back, in which division MacLachlan was best. The attack was very disjointed, and a tendency to indulge in close tactics helped to bring about negative results. In this department R. Bruce and Jackson were most effective, but the line lacked a leader, and there was a palpable absence of shooting ability. Carroll, the Irish internationalist centre forward was scarcely ever seen in the game, and the wing pairs were badly mated.
Hearts were a better-balanced team, and when their forwards got going they were nippier than those of Aberdeen. White in goal had not many dangerous shots to deal with, but was lucky on one occasion in the second half when an upright came to his rescue when a header from Jackson had beaten him. Reid and Ramage played soundly at back, and Wright and Harley were shining lights in the intermediate line. Wright especially giving a fine display. Forward the honours went to Smith and Miller. McNeill got both his team's goals, but apart from this was seldom in evidence. Near the close of the game John White, the Hearts inside right, fell, and struck his head on the hard ground, sustaining slight concussion. He was carried to the pavilion, where he recovered sufficiently to enable him accompany his clubmates back to Edinburgh in the evening.


Aberdeen had White in action at the start, the keeper clearing from Reid. The pressure was maintained, and Hutton drove wide from a free kick, which had to be retaken, and Ramage headed clear from MacLachlan. Reid shot over following another free kick taken by MacLachlan. Following this, White had to save a weak shot from Jackson, whose elevation was at fault, shortly afterwards. When Hearts got going, Blackwell had to save from Smith and White, but Aberdeen returned to the attack, and after good work by R. Bruce, Reid just missed with a fine shot. Wright again set Hearts back on the attack, and McNeill failed when Wright slipped the ball to his feet. Bruce and Reid had a smart movement on the home right, and Reid finished with a shot that beat White but swerved behind. At this stage the Hearts defenders were being hard pressed, but they stood up well to the onslaught. A shot by Smith, the Aberdeen left winger, was rather luckily deflected over the cross-bar by Ramage, and Wright cleared from the flag kick. Smith, on the Hearts' right, greatly troubled the home defence, and McNeill was at fault when he failed to gather from the right winger's cross. Following upon this, Murray had a chance, but shot weakly. The game again took a turn in favour of Aberdeen, and following a flag kick, Jackson missed the ball completely when only a yard from goal. At the other end McNeill shot over, and the interval arrived without either team having scored.


Aberdeen attacked on the resumption, but were quickly driven back on defence. Smith broke away on the visitors right, and, giving to McNeill, that player was left with a clear run in to beat Blackwell with a low shot. In another attack by Hearts, Smith centred on the top the net. R. Bruce followed with an individual effort for Aberdeen, and White had to save from him near the foot of the upright. Aberdeen maintained the pressure, but White was not seriously tested. From a free kick Cosgrove shot over, and from a flag kick forced by Reid, MacLachlan headed wide. In a break away by Hearts, McNeill just missed the mark with a snap shot. Aberdeen subsequently returned to the attack, and off a centre by Reid, Jackson headed against the upright with White beaten. R. Bruce and Jackson both had shots blocked, and at the other end MacLachlan cleared when McNeill looked like shooting through again. Smith and Reid forced corners for Aberdeen, but no advantage followed. Seven minutes from the close Hearts registered another goal. A shot by John White was pulled down by Blackwell, and before the goalkeeper could recover possession McNeill dashed in and netted. Following this, Aberdeen attacked, and J. White was injured, but the defence held out to the end.

Source: Press & Journal, 7th December 1925

Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
White (W.); Reid, Ramage; Dand, Wright, Harley; Smith, White (J.), McNeill, Miller, Murray
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: C. Bilney, Glasgow