Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)

02/01/1926 | KO:

ABERDEEN IN GAME OF THRILLS. Blackwell's Penalty' Save.

After scoring two fine victories away from home, the Hibernians disappointed their friends by dropping a point at to Aberdeen at Easter Road, Edinburgh. On play, however, the visitors were well worthy of a draw. They put up a fine defensive game, and in other departments were equal to the Hibernians for the amount of energy and pertinacity they displayed. During the first half the Hibernians found themselves sorely harassed, but after a faltering start their defenders gained confidence, and Sharp in goal made many excellent saves, although on one occasion the ball hit a post when he seemed well beaten. Probably his best save was one made early in the second half, when Jackson burst through and seemed to have the goal at his mercy, Sharp going down quickly and taking his side out of an awkward pass. Good goalkeeping was also a feature at the Aberdeen end. The Hibernians had a larger share of pressure in the second half, but even a penalty kick failed to beat Blackwell. The kick, awarded for "hands" against Cosgrove, was converted by Ritchie at the first attempt, but the referee ordered it to be retaken because several players had crossed the penalty line, and Blackwell saved. Throughout it was a keen and very fast game. The Hibernian half-backs did not display their customary versatility, being too much tied down to defensive work by forwards who were always eager workers. Hutton and D. Bruce played a fine game at back for Aberdeen, the former keeping Ritchie well in hand. Fully 18,000 spectators were present.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th January 1926

Aberdeen and Hibernian had a refreshingly keen tussle at Edinburgh, their meeting produced many thrills but no goals. There were 17,000 spectators, and these by general assent voted the game the most exciting seen on the ground this season. On the actual run of play Aberdeen deserved to win; yet a draw did not do an injustice to either. The game was brimful of thrills, and considering that it was Aberdeen's third game in four days and Hibernian's second in two days, it was surprising that such a pace was maintained. Both goals ran repeated narrow escapes, and both defences were fortunate that they were not pierced. Aberdeen accounted for most of the pressure in the first half, when both teams were dangerous, and in the second half it was a case of raid being countered by raid. On a ground that was just a little greasy, both teams went all out the whole time, and it was little wonder that at the close of a strenuous contest that the players showed obvious signs of fatigue. Some glaring chances were missed by both teams, but these were excusable considering the pace of the game. There was, however, much really good shooting, and with the goalkeepers repeatedly in action, interest never flagged.
In the first half shots were rained in upon Sharp from all angles, and the fact that he did not deal very decisively with several provided thrills. These were not confined to one end, however, and both sides should have scored before the interval. On one occasion Jackson hit the bottom of the upright with a shot. Three times the Hibs' goalkeeper failed to hold the ball from grand shots, and there were desperate scrimmages in the home penalty area before danger was averted. Smith when close in banged the ball against the goalkeeper's body, and it rebounded beyond several onrushing Aberdeen forwards. R. Bruce twice had shots rather luckily stopped by Sharp, and one shot by the Aberdeen inside right that looked like it was deflected wide by a defender's head. Smith, McDermid, Bruce, Cheyne, Jackson, MacLachlan, Cosgrove, and Edward all had creditable tries, which either missed by the narrowest of margins or were parried by Sharp, who got an ovation from the spectators at the interval. Once R. Bruce gave Jackson a chance to have a flying shot from a few yards out, but he sent over the bar. Shortly after this the Aberdeen centre forward got clean through to shoot as Sharp ran out to meet him. The ball, however, found contact with the goalkeeper's leg, and was deflected wide of his charge.


But the game was far from being as one-sided as the narration of these incidents would indicate. If not frequently assailed, Blackwell's goal also figured in many thrilling passages. Murray, Dunn, Ritchie, and McColl all had good shots, and Blackwell had often to use his fists. Once he was beaten by a shot from Dunn, but D. Bruce dashed in and, from beneath the crossbar, sent bail into the "corner." On another occasion a long shot appeared to be going through when Blackwell got the tips of his fingers on the ball and deflected it against the upright for Hutton to complete the clearance.


After such an exacting first half the spectators looked for a slackening off in the second period, but this did not happen. Aberdeen, as before, cut out the pace, and Bruce and Smith both had Sharp quickly in action. Hibs, too, took up the running in turn, and the game developed into a series of lightning end-to-end raids, followed by desperate scrimmages in the respective penalty areas. Thrust was countered by thrust and shot by shot, and the goalkeepers were never really free of trouble. Blackwell had no sooner fisted clear from a crowd of excited players than Sharp had his hands full at the other end. Jackson and Smith both had chances for Aberdeen, but sent narrowly past, and for the Hibs, McColl and Dunn had tries that came dangerously near counting.
Fifteen from the finish in the course of raid by Ritchie the ball struck Cosgrove on the hand inside the penalty area, and the referee awarded a spot kick to Hibernian. Ritchie took the kick and beat Blackwell, but the referee had not given the signal for the kick, it was ordered to be retaken. Ritchie again took it, but ton his occasion Blackwell with his hand knocked the ball down. Ritchie and several Hibernian attackers made a desperate effort to reach it again, but in the course of a fierce struggle it rolled harmlessly behind.


Cosgrove and Cheyne were both Injured in the course of this grim contest, but after being treated were able to resume. Hutton, too, came by a nasty injury. In falling, his forehead found contact with an opponent's boot, and he had to be assisted to the edge of the field, where a stitch was inserted above the left eye. Despite this handicap, the international back returned to the conflict and played a wonderful game to the finish. In the closing stages neither side relaxed their efforts, and either might have obtained the winning goal. Bruce worked right through the home defence and shot from point blank range but to the surprise of everybody Sharp got his right hand on the ball, and it was scrimmaged clear. Then at the other end, a wonderful shot by McColl that appeared to be going home just under bar, was brilliantly saved by Blackwell. It was a thrilling game from start finish and roused the spectators to heights of great enthusiasm. Every one of the 22 players went out for all he was worth, and it reflected how the spectators appreciated their efforts that none quitted the ground until the final whistle had sounded.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th January 1926

Hibernian Teamsheet
Sharp; Stark, Dornan; Kerr, Miller, Shaw; Murray, Dunn, McColl, Halligan, Ritchie
Attendance: 17,000
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: D. Calder, Rutherglen