Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 1 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 4 - 0 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Bruce 4, Smith 14, Smith, Bruce 10, Bruce.

27/09/1926 | KO: 11:00

Another Big Win for Aberdeen. KILMARNOCK WELL BEATEN.

Over 15,000 spectators, forming an Aberdeen Autumn Holiday crowd at Pittodrie Park, saw the home team yesterday defeat Kilmarnock by 5 goals to 1 in a Scottish League fixture. Early in the match Aberdeen developed aggressive tactics. From two corners, Reid sent the ball nicely over to R. Bruce, who occupied the inside right position, and that player on each occasion headed the ball into the net, and then Smith added a third - all within a quarter of an hour. Throughout the match R. Bruce played a sterling game. He had no fewer than three of Aberdeen's five goals, the others coming from Smith, who also played good football. D. Bruce at left back, Maclachlan at left half-back, and Reid and McDermid in the forward line were also prominent. For Kilmarnock the most outstanding were the custodian, Climie; Hood and Nibloe at back, and Brown, Crump, and Weir in the forward line. Crump was Kilmarnock's scorer.

Source: The Scotsman, 28th September 1926

At Pittodrie yesterday Aberdeen deservedly beat Kilmarnock by 5 goals to 1. There were about 14,000 spectators, who greatly enjoyed a spirited display. In the first half Aberdeen were rampant, and a lead of three goals in the first fifteen minutes made victory practically certain. At the interval they led by 4-0, but there was a transformation in the second half, when the visitors made a great recovery.
They attacked for the greater part of the period, but while they were clever in the outfield, they finished badly.

Whirlwind Start.

Aberdeen had to face strong sun in the first half but had the breeze behind them. Killie opened well, but their first rush only brought a bye. Aberdeen immediately got going with strong pressure, during which Miller just missed with a snap shot, leading up to goal for them in four minutes. Reid placed the ball nicely from a flag kick and R. Bruce headed past Climie.
Aberdeen continued to attack, and Climie had twice to run out and assist his backs. At the other end, Blackwell fielded a long free kick by Haley, but Aberdeen were soon back on the offensive, and R. Bruce just missed with a first-timer.
In ten minutes Aberdeen got a second goal, and in similar fashion to their first. Reid placed accurately from the flag and Bruce repeated his heading performance.
Following this Blackwell fisted weakly away from McCall and did well to stop a close-range effort from Walker.
Aberdeen quickly got another goal. Reid dashed off and crossed a low ball, which evaded several players and went to Smith, who scored with a terrific shot, the ball hitting the roof of the net and rebounding into play. The ball travelled so fast that one Kilmarnock player questioned whether it had actually reached the net.
A three goals' lead inside fifteen minutes put the home supporters in great glee, and it looked as if Aberdeen would go farther ahead.
Aberdeen slackened off for a time, and the Kilmarnock forwards had a short innings. Off a shot by Weir, Blackwell was sorely troubled, but while he lay on the ground he defied the efforts of four opponents to dispossess him. Ultimately the referee's whistle came to his aid.
After this the game again took a turn in favour of Aberdeen, and Miller twice was wide with shots. Kilmarnock had much fight in them, however, and after good work by Crump, Blackwell did well to tip over the bar from McLeod.
At the other end Aberdeen again got busy. Climie was several times in action to high balls, and MacLachlan and McHale shot wide from long range.
In a Kilmarnock attack a penalty kick was awarded against Hutton, but Weir, who took the kick, sent wide. Aberdeen retaliated immediately, and Smith flashed past Hood to finish with a lightning grounder which completely beat Climie and put Aberdeen four ahead.
Kilmarnock retaliated pluckily, and Blackwell saved well from Crump, who was showing up well in the visitors' front rank.
Near the interval Crump was badly fouled by Hutton, and had to receive treatment on the toucline. R. Bruce also was on the injured list, but quickly recovered.
The exchanges were keen until the interval, when Aberdeen easily retained their big lead.

Kilmarnock Recovering.

Kilmarnock resumed in spirited fashion and soon met with success, Crump crashing the ball past Blackwell after clever play by Brown.
Aberdeen were not playing so well as in the first half, and much more was seen of the Kilmarnock attack. Blackwell stopped a fine shot by Weir, and cleared at the second attempt. For a time Aberdeen were kept on the defensive, and McHale put in some hefty heading in front of the home goal.
It was left to R. Bruce to raise the siege, but a long run and pass to Smith was negatived by the winger shooting against the outside of the net, with only Climie in front.
Kilmarnock subsequently kept the home defence on the stretch and an exciting scrimmage in the Aberdeen penalty area several shots were blocked or charged down. The great pressure of the visitors was maintained, and the home goal ran several narrow escapes. After a raid by Aberdeen, R. Bruce shot wide and Climie had several times to run out and stop forward passes.
Against the run the play, Aberdeen got a goal. Miller slipped the bail nicely to Smith, whose terrific shot found the post. McDermid caught the rebound but his shot was blocked on the goal line by Nibloe who, however, failed to get in a decisive clearance, and R. Bruce dashed in and netted.
Following this goal Aberdeen improved, Climie fisting away from Reid, and a cross by Smith flashed behind just wide of the Kilmarnock goal. At the other end Brown had Blackwell in action, and altogether the game was being more contested than the score indicated.
Aberdeen subsequently recovered their dash, and Climie dived at the feet of R. Bruce when another goal seemed imminent. There was much end to end play, and, while the visitors' forwards were active and enterprising, they shot badly when within scoring range.
Near the end Blackwell tipped over the bar from Crump, but the flag kick was cleared, and the game resulted, Aberdeen, 5; Kilmarnock, 1. On the home side Blackwell, Hutton MacLachlan, McHale in the defence and R. Bruce, and Smith in attack were best and for the visitors Hood, McLeod, McEwen, Crump and Brown were outstanding.

Source: Press & Journal, 28th September 1926

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Climie; Hood, Nibloe; Riley, McLeod, McEwen; Walker, Brown, Weir, McCall, Crump
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: R. Innes, Glasgow
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen