Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 3 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 3 Rangers

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: McDermid 34, Cosgrove 47.
Rangers scorers: Fleming 1, Fleming 17, Morton 44

13/08/1927 | KO: 15:00


Rangers won their first League match at Pittodrie Park, Aberdeen, by defeating Aberdeen by 3 goals to 2. They deserved to win, showing greater steadiness and skill throughout, and if their shooting for goals at close quarters had been more accurate, they might have secured victory by a greater margin. There was a lack of combination in the Aberdeen team, which told against their chances. As it was, however, they played pluckily against a more experienced lot of players, and did well to come out of the ordeal with last season's League winners with only a single goal on the debit side. The great surprise of the match was the early scoring of the first goal by the Rangers within a second or two of the kick-off. It was a piece of play according to plan, perfectly carried out. From the kick-off the ball was sent across to Archibald on the right wing, and, after his short speedy run, was centred to Fleming, who slipped it into the net. It was an unexpected opening, but it seemed to steady up the Aberdeen team. In twenty minutes Fleming had repeated the performance, and then after McDermid had reduced the leeway by one, Alan Morton had the Rangers' third goal, slipped in deftly after he had drawn McSevich from his post. Cosgrove's goal for Aberdeen early in the second period was obtained with a fine shot over his head with his back to the Rangers' uprights, the ball dropping just underneath the crossbar out of Hamilton's reach. Aberdeen's defence was the feature of the second half of the match. McSevich, in goal, had a lot to do, and Jackson and Livingstone at back were also kept busy, Wilson, the team's new outside right from Paisley, and McDermid were Aberdeen's best forwards. Internationalist Alan Morton showed his speed on the Rangers' left wing, and was always dangerous. Cunningham and Fleming were also prominent in attack. The Rangers' defence, except for brief periods, had a somewhat easy time. Over 25,000 spectators witness the match ? the biggest crowd at Pittodrie during the past three years.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th August 1927

Aberdeen never appeared to recover from the loss of an early goal to Rangers at Pittodrie, and although the latter only won by 3 goals to 2, the score does not adequately reflect their superiority. Aberdeen made a scrambling sort of fight of it, but neither in method nor in neatness and accuracy of movement could they be compared to the winners, and the general impression formed after the match was that, measured by the standard of Rangers, the Pittodrie team will have to be considerably strengthened if any marked measure of success is to be attained in subsequent games.
Rangers obtained the first goal immediately following the kick-off, and McSevich when he picked the ball from the net was the first Aberdeen man to touch it. From Fleming's pass Archibald made headway, then slipped the ball to Muirhead, and the latter's pass was adroitly turned into the net by Fleming, the ball glancing in off an upright. After 17 minutes' play, Cunningham, Archibald, and Fleming participated in another triangular movement, which gave Rangers a second goal, Fleming banging the ball into the net after McSevich had been drawn out. Aberdeen made furtive attempts, mainly on the right wing, to make progress, but their forward and half-back play was weak compared with that of Rangers, who frequently came near to increasing their lead. Eleven minutes before half-time Wilson commenced a movement which resulted in McDermid picking a pass from Cosgrove and beating the Rangers' goalkeeper with a brilliant drive from 18 yards. For time there was big improvement in the play of the Aberdeen attack, and Hamilton was several times in action, but just on half-time Morton got away from a long pass forward by McPhail, and resisting two challenges worked close in before whipping the ball smartly into the net with his right foot, and Rangers crossed over with a lead of 3 goals to 1.


The second half produced only one goal, and it was scored by Aberdeen, but, curiously enough, the game favoured the visitors, even more than in the first period. Two minutes after the game had been resumed Meiklejohn was penalised for hands just outside the penalty area, and Smith taking the free kick, lobbed the ball over to the right. McDermid in turn transferred it forward, and Cosgrove, with an overhead kick, hooked it into the net. Subsequently play ruled greatly in favour of Rangers. Their outfield work at times was brilliant, but their shooting, while not lacking in power, was badly directed, and frequently from too long range. Archibald, Fleming, and Morton were the forwards who indulged most in shooting, but Muirhead and Cunningham also had tries. McSevich was repeatedly in action, often distinguishing himself with smart saves. Generally it was Rangers' match in the period, and but for the inaccuracy of their shooting they would have scored more goals.


For Aberdeen, McSevich did excellent work in goal, showing coolness and resource in many trying situations. Jackson was the better back, Livingstone being slow, and frequently mistiming his tackles. Edward was the best of a half-back line whose play fell short of that of the Rangers' trio, Black, the newcomer to this division, being slow. In the forward line Wilson, who showed many clever touches, and McDermid were most prominent.
Hamilton had a comparatively easy afternoon in Rangers' goal, and Gray and McCandless were a sound pair of backs. Muirhead, Meiklejohn, and Craig were always prominent, and in a brilliant set of forwards Fleming, Cunningham, and Archibald were best, although in the second half the shooting of all the Ibrox attackers was faulty.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th August 1927

Rangers Teamsheet
Hamilton; Gray, McCandless; Muirhead, Meiklejohn, Craig; Archibald Cunningham, Fleming, McPhail, Morton
Attendance: 25,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: T. Small, Dundee
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead