Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Banks o' Dee 1 - 6 Aberdeen

HT Score: Banks o' Dee 0 - 2 Aberdeen

Aberdeenshire Cup Quarter Final
Banks o' Dee scorers: Philipson 48
Aberdeen scorers: Anderson 8, Anderson 28, Anderson 55, Lawrie (OG) 57, Ross 71, Ross 89.

21/08/2019 | KO: 20:00

Paul Sheerin's young side produced a clinical performance to move into the semi-finals of the Aberdeenshire Cup and gained revenge over Banks O' Dee at Spain Park.

Banks O' Dee, who produced a famous win against the young Dons last season in this competition, were the first to threaten when Michael Philipson saw a shot from 20 yards out just go over.

Michael Ruth did well on the right a couple of times before Aberdeen took the lead on 8 minutes. As the home side appealed for a free kick Lloyd Robertson played a long ball over the top from the right back area for Bruce Anderson to chase. The striker showed good pace the outstrip the two defenders before coolly slotting the ball across the keeper into the net.

On 16 minutes Connor Barron was booked for a foul on Philipson just as he was away to shoot, right on the edge of the area. Jamie Buglass took the free kick and his deflected effort looked certain to find the back of the net but Sam Jackson produced a brilliant save, getting a strong hand on the shot and Jack MacKenzie was alert and able to clear the ball of the line.

Banks O'Dee 1-6 Aberdeen

Five minutes later MacKenzie at the other end very nearly scored but his shot at the near post was well saved by Sahhaleutis.

The Dons then produced a good spell and their pressing high up the pitch led to a number of chances. On 25 minutes a good run from Ethan Ross down the left, set up Bruce Anderson who had men over but elected to shoot and his low shot went past the post.

After 28 minutes Bruce Anderson added his second. Lloyd Robertson with a low cross from the right, Bruce then produced a fine turn and shot from eight yards which found the bottom corner.

A few minutes later the Dons should have added a third when quick break allowed Ethan Ross space on the left. The winger composed himself as the keeper came out to meet him, but Ethan then curled the shot just over the bar.

On 35 minutes the pace of the Dons front players was too much again for the home defence and Seb Ross had a shooting opportunity, which resulted in a low shot just going wide. He probably should have played in Anderson who had peeled away into space.

Ethan Ross then set up a chance for Virtanen but his shot was blocked with Ruth also in attendance.

On 40 minutes Anderson was almost in for his hat-trick after dancing around a few players inside the area but a last ditch tackle just prevented him from getting a shot away.

Aberdeen had been bullied last year but were standing up to the physical test far better this time around.

Just before half-time there were chances at both ends as Mark Gilmour was very well blocked by a combination of Robertson and Bollan and then on the break Aberdeen again wasted a chance when they failed to find the final pass.

Half time: Banks O'Dee 0 Aberdeen XI 2

At half time Jack MacKenzie, playing his first game since recovering from injury, was replaced by Kalvin Ramsay.

Last season the home side came from 3-0 down to win 4-3 so as they came out for the second half they would still have believed they could get back themselves back into this one, especially as they were shooting down the hill and they had the wind and rain behind them.

They forced an early corner as they indicated their intent and after 48 minutes Michael Philipson brought them back into the game. He produced a smart finish after good play down the left by Dean Lawrie.

The home side were very nearly level a minute later when there was an almighty scramble inside the area. In the end Connor Barron showed real composure to dribble the ball out of the box.

The game then turned back in Aberdeen's favour when on 54 minutes, Seb Ross burst free from the midfield area with a strong run. When he was taken down on the edge of the area by Neale Allan referee Dan McFarlane had no hesitation in producing a red card.

Bruce Anderson took the free kick and drilled it low into the net to complete his hat-trick.

Aberdeen then almost immediately add a fourth. Left back Dean Lawrie tried to play the ball back to his keeper as Michael Ruth closed him down, the ball though went past Sahhaleutis and into the net. Ruth was on hand to make sure the ball was over the line.

A few minutes before, the Dons were looking under real pressure but in the blink of an eye the game was over as a contest.

Credit to the home side as they battled away but on 71 minutes Ethan Ross cut in from the left and fired a low shot past the keeper. Ethan was warmly congratulated as he deserved a goal for his performance this evening. A minute later Bruce Anderson was well set up but his low shot cannoned back off the post.

On 75 minutes a Mark Gilmour header was well saved by Jackson who flung himself to his right. The stopper made another smart stop shortly after that. With ten minutes to go a Ramsay cross was almost knocked in but the home side produced a brilliant headed clearance off the line.

In the final minute Seb Ross completed the scoring when he saw his lobbed cross from the left landed up in the net when the keeper could not keep it out.

The scoreline was slightly harsh on the Junior side but Aberdeen produced a very professional performance.

Paul Sheerin

"First half was good.

"We played well and had a few chances. I thought we maybe could have got it forward quicker at times because their line was quite high and we obviously got a couple of goals from that.

"Overall, relatively pleased with the first half.

"Then the early goal in the second half puts us on the back foot.

"The game then became a bit more frantic that we hoped it would have been.

"We were in the same position last year - 3-1 up and they came back and managed to beat us so we were very guarded against that when we spoke to the players at half time. And then before you now it you come out and it is 2-1.

"I felt there was a nervousness with our defending at that time.

"The sending off then has a major bearing on the game as there is a double whammy with Bruce scoring the goal. After that I thought we controlled the game. We could then have asked a few more questions and got the ball forward quicker at times as we were quite comfortable in possession and we moved them about. I just thought we could have done that with a bit more purpose.

"We were also a bit sloppy as we allowed them more opportunities then we would have liked but sometimes that happens when you are up against ten men and a few goals up.

"Subconsciously you start to think the game is won.

"It is difficult to stay concentrated. That was something we spoke about after the game, just concentrating a bit more and practising good habits at all times.

"I can't complain though with the overall score and the performance at times was pleasing.


"I do think we stood up well to the physical test. And that is important when you come up against Junior or Highland League sides.

"We were more fortunate tonight than maybe some games we have had in the past because we had Miko and Seb in the middle of the park and they give you that physical presence and also we had Bruce up top. He knows the game and has a bit more knowhow. He is more streetwise.

"Bruce is probably in the dressing room beating himself up that he has not scored four! But he was very clinical. When you get him in those areas of the pitch you are confident that he will score more often than not."


"We spoke about last year. We looked back at the game and we also watched Banks O'Dee on Saturday so we gave them total respect as we do with all teams.

"It is always a learning curve for us.

"We learned from what happened last season.

"This season there have been games when we have let teams in and been punished. For example at Brora there was a spell when they scored three goals in 12 minutes when we were still very much in the game.

"And we had a battering at Elgin because of our naivety. So we are just trying to learn from these experiences and that is what we will keep doing."

Next Round

"The plan is to try and win any competition you enter.

"It will be difficult. Formartine United will be equally as hard as the Brora game so we know it will be very tough to win it, but we will try and do that with this young group.

"You want them to get in the habit of recognising the importance of trying to win competitions."


"We will have plenty of games coming up despite pulling out of the Reserve League. We are in this competition, the Aberdeenshire Cup, as well as the Aberdeenshire Shield. We are also in the SPFL Reserve League Cup and we are also going into a new competition which will kick off in about four weeks time.

"We will play against Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Brentford and Huddersfield. It is something a bit different for us. Coming up against the English sides was appealing, playing against a different style of football and seeing how they work.

"We will have more control over when the games are scheduled so I think it will work better than last season."

Banks o' Dee Teamsheet
Sahhaleutis, Duguid, Lawrie, Allan, Alexander, Duff, Buglass, Gilmour, Henderson, Philipson, Armstrong Muller, Hall, Lewecki, Binnie, Murray, MacLeod, Ness

Bookings:  Duguid 55  Allan 54
Aberdeen Teamsheet
Jackson, Robertson, MacKenzie ( 46), Virtanen, Bollan, Turner, Barron (Chesser 81), Ross, Anderson, Ross, Ruth (Duncan 60).

Unused Subs: Dalling, Shanks, Hanratty, Ritchie.

Bookings:  Barron (16),  Virtanen (42),  Duncan (82).
Venue: Spain Park, Aberdeen