Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 4 - 0 Hibernian

HT Score: Aberdeen 4 - 0 Hibernian

SPL Youth 18
Aberdeen scorers: Dangana 18, Dangana 28, Dangana 33, Hanratty 53.

23/08/2019 | KO: 19:00

Barry Robson's U18 side started their season with an excellent victory over Hibs at Cove on Friday night.

In the early stages Aberdeen had the better of the play and forced a corner and a free kick 30 yards out which Max Barry took, but he failed to find the target.

Michael Dangana then bulldozed his way into box with an excellent run but left back Kieran Ngwenya, well up in support, had his shot blocked.

Max Barry was next to threaten, his shot from just outside the area was well saved by the keeper Jay Cantlay.

On 15 minutes Hibs had their first real attack and Steven Elder got a good shot away, but it was straight at Tom Ritchie.

The same duo were involved again when Elder tried to bend a free kick around the wall, but again Ritchie was well positioned.

Aberdeen then took the lead on 18 minutes. Kevin Hanratty created the goal with a really good driving run forward before laying the ball to his left. The ball fell kindly for Michael Dangana who produced a superb first time which flew past the keeper.

The home side then might have done better with a couple of chances on the right and then the left - first a Barry free kick from a tight angle and then a Hanratty cut back.

On 27 minutes the impressive Hanratty again twisted and turned his way into the area. He went down but instead of getting a penalty he was harshly booked for diving.

A minute later though Aberdeen had a second.


A long ball over the top was chased down by Dangana who got to the ball ahead of the keeper and although his initial shot hit the post, the striker had all the time in the world to slot home the rebound.

A couple of minutes later a similar situation, this time Hanratty was one on one with the keeper who produced a decent block.

Aberdeen were well in control though.

On 32 minutes Shanks was booked a trip in the middle of the park. It was an area the young Dons were completely dominating with Calvin Ramsay and Max Barry well on top of their opponents.

So much so they added a third on 33 minutes when another through ball caused problems and Dangana showed great strength to hold off the last defender before slotting home.

The visitors nearly got one back a few minutes after that, Ben Weekes hitting the crossbar when the Dons failed to clear a corner.

There was then a break in play when Jack Brydon went down with an arm injury. After lengthy treatment he walked off, but it still looked a bad injury and we wish him well.

Eight minutes into added time Kevin Hanratty completed a superb individual first half performance when from 20 yards he curled it into the far corner. He had almost done the same 10 minutes earlier, but this time he got his effort inch perfect. No more than he deserved for his first half showing.
Half time Aberdeen 4 Hibernian 0

Hibs tried to find a route back into the game early in the second half as Elder made a powerful burst forward from midfield, but the Dons defence closed ranks to snuff out the danger.

Hibs winger Wilson was booked for dissent after conceding a free kick, but Barry's effort was blocked by the defensive wall.

Caldwell replaced Weekes in the visitors' line-up just before a mis-timed challenge saw Dons right back Gerrard go into the book.

Jack MacIver came on for Gerrard just past the hour mark and he moved into midfield with Ramsay dropping back to full back.

There wasn't quite the same flow to the game as there had been in the opening 45, Hibs enjoying more possession but never seriously threatening Tom Ritchie's goal.

The keeper however had to look sharp on 68 minutes when O'Connor tested him from 20 yards, but he flew to his right to make a fine save.

O'Connor was poleaxed when a Lewis Duncan clearance hit him flush in the face as Hibs pushed forward, the youngster able to continue after receiving treatment.

On 74 minutes Kieran Shanks was played in by a delightful through ball from Barry, but keeper Cantlay spread himself well to save.

Ryan Duncan took over from Shanks for the final quarter of an hour. With six minutes left, disaster for the impressive Hanratty as he received a second booking for kicking the ball away and had to take the lonely walk back to the dressing room. A harsh lesson for the youngster.

Try as they might, Hibs couldn't make their man advantage count as they tried to grab a consolation goal, the Dons running out deserved winners after that hugely impressive first half showing.

Full time - Aberdeen 4 Hibernian 0

Crowd - 100

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Ritchie, Gerrard (MacIver 62), Ngwenya, Paterson, Turner, Ramsay, Hanratty, Barry, Dangana, Shanks (Duncan 75), Duncan.

Unused Subs: Renforth, Yeats, Findlay, Hyslop.

Bookings:  Hanratty (27),  Shanks (32),  Gerrard (57),  Hanratty (83),  Hanratty (83).
Hibernian Teamsheet
Cantlay, Furness, Doig, Brydon (Heron 44), Fairley, McGlaughlin (Zajac 85), O'Connor, Williamson, Weekes (Caldwell 55), Elder, Wilson. Unused substitute :- Johnson (GK)

Bookings:  Wilson 53,   McGlaughlin 69
Attendance: 100
Venue: Balmoral Stadium, Cove
Referee: Bart Misiak
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen