Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Rangers 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Rangers 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Rangers scorers: McPhail, Muirhead

08/12/1928 | KO:


Rangers from the start to the finish monopolised the play, but they could only get one goal in the first half, when McPhail scored. Later Yuill was constantly in action, but it was not until the last miute of the game that he was beaten again by Muirhead. Estimated attendance 16,000.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 10th December 1928

After putting up great defensive fight, Aberdeen were beaten by Rangers at Ibrox by two goals to nothing. The pitch was frostbound and the ball difficult to control, but it was surprising that the players retained their foothold so well. About 15,000 spectators watched a dour struggle, which for the most part was a grim duel between the champions attack and the Aberdeen defence. While Rangers were the better team and well deserved their victory, they did not exhibit skill in keeping with their high and dry position on the league table. Their defence, and especially on the left, was shaky, and their forwards did not knit together at all well. For this the spoiling tactics of the Aberdeen defence was probably responsible, but while the Pittodrie rear divisions excelled in destructive work, they did this at the expense of their attack, which never was big factor in the game.

Brilliance of Yuill.

Yuill, in the Aberdeen goal, was in brilliant form and his saves repeatedly evoked applause, while Jackson and Livingstone at back put up a great, defence. The first-named was frequently beaten by Morton, but his recovery work was good, and Livingstone was easily the best back on the field. McLaren, who took McHale's place at centre-half, also put in a lot of telling work, but while Black and Hill were worrying half-backs, they were none too successful.
The Aberdeen attack, while haying spasms of brightness, never really got going, the inside supports failing to make the best use of their wingers. The underfoot conditions did not suit Yorston. who failed at two comparatively easy chances to score.
Hamilton in the goal was seldom troubled, and Hamilton (R.) at left back was unreliable at times, his defects were covered by the fine all-round work of Gray, Meiklejohn, and Buchanan. Forward the champions were best served by Morton, McPhail, and Archibald.

Trend of the Game.

Rangers made the running at the start, and Yuill was early called upon save from Morton, McPhail shooting wide just afterwards. Maintaining the pressure, Rangers had another movement nullified by Archibald shooting behind. Runs by the Pittodrie extreme wingers were negatived when their crosses were cleared, and Fleming and McPhail were both off the mark with shots. From a pass by Love, Cheyne had a fine shot which Hamilton cleared, and a cross-shot by Archibald was knocked down by Yuill and cleared by Livingstone.
Play continued to favour Rangers, but good covering up prevented Yuill from having much do. A period of end-to-end exchanges was productive of keen individual bouts, and although Rangers did most of the pressing, the Aberdeen goal was not in serious danger. Several corners fell to Rangers, but these were cleared.

The Opening Goal.

Thirty-seven minutes had gone before Rangers took the lead. Muirhead manoeuvred cleverly, and from his pass McPhail netted from close in, Yuill having no chance to save. Subsequently Rangers should have got another goal, Fleming ballooning when close in on Yuill, who had to handle on several occasions later. Towards the interval the Aberdeen attack rallied, and Cheyne shot against the side-net after Smith had sent behind. At half time Rangers were worthy of their lead of one goal, but they had not played with any marked degree of confidence.

Yuill Kept Busy.

Rangers were more business-like when the game was resumed. Yuill flopped on a close range shot from Fleming, and later required trainer's attention after tipping a header from the same player round the post. Play continued near the Aberdeen goal, and several shots were charged down or blocked. Yuill, too, was kept busy, and several times had to go to the assistance of his backs when they were harassed. The Aberdeen 'keeper saved a great shot by McPhail, and by a fine effort just managed reach a header from Muirhead at the foot of the upright, the ball being deflected into "corner."

A Rangers Escape.

A centre by Smith was cleared by the Rangers' 'keeper, and later Love and Cheyne just failed to catch up to a pass from their left-winger. Several corner kicks fell to the Light Blues, but these were cleared by Yuill or his backs. As the game approached its close the Aberdeen attack became lively, and there was always the possibility of the equaliser being obtained. Yorston almost succeeded on one occasion when he got through, but his shot was deflected over the bar by Gray. Several efforts by the Aberdeen attackers were subsequently blocked, but in the last minutes Rangers again applied the screw. Yuill was in action several times, and just on the eve of the final whistle Rangers got another goal. A free-kick which was disputed by Aberdeen was taken by Archibald, and although the latter did not get his boot right to the ball, he sent it along to Muirhead, off whom it was deflected into the net. It was a lucky goal, but on the balance of play was well deserved.

Source: Press & Journal, 10th December 1928

Rangers Teamsheet
T Hamilton; Gray, R J Hamilton; Buchanan, Meiklejohn, Craig; Archibald, Muirhead, Fleming, McPhail, Morton
Attendance: 15,000
Venue: Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Referee: W. Quinn, Bellshill
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen