Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 3 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 3 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Smith, Yorston 20, Cheyne 41, Love 80, Love.
Morton scorers: Ballantyne, Geddes 40, Ballantyne

21/09/1929 | KO: 15:00


Morton held an advantage of a goal at the interval, but the second half went in favour of Aberdeen. Yorston scored the opening goal for the home side, but Ballantyne equalised with a header. Geddes got Morton's second goal, and after Cheyne had levelled the scores again Ballantyne gave Morton the lead. In the second half Smith brought the scores even again, and Love added two more goals for the home side.

Source: The Scotsman, 23rd September 1929

At last Rangers have been beaten, and the fight for the championship of the First Division of the Scottish League has resolved itself into a much more open affair. The distinction of lowering the colours of the champions fell to Kilmarnock on Saturday. The Ayrshire team's victory was only by the solitary goal, but it was well deserved. As the result, Rangers and Kilmarnock are now relatively equal at the top of the table, and Aberdeen and Partick Thistle are in close attendance only one point behind. At Pittodrie, Aberdeen registered their first home victory of the season, Greenock Morton being beaten by five goals to three.

Aberdeen's supporters were kept in suspense for a long time in the game with Morton at Pittodrie, where the home team annexed the points in the closing minutes of the game. A match that was ruined as a spectacle because of a tempestuous wind, attracted about 14,000 spectators. The gale dominated the game, and the ball played many pranks, defenders' lusty clearances frequently curling back and developing into corner kicks.
On the balance of play Aberdeen were deserving winners, but they left their three last goals rather late over for the peace of mind of their supporters; indeed, at one time it looked as if Morton would actually snatch the points.

Beaten by Wind.

In the first half Morton had the advantage of sun and gale, but they failed to benefit from them as they should have done. Their efforts at shooting from long range were badly directed, and when their forwards worked in to close quarters they invariably hung on too long. Yuill, of course, was not idle, and effected many smart saves, but Aberdeen, in their less frequent raids, were always more dangerous, and came nearer to counting on several occasions before they did actually take the lead.
This came after about twenty minutes' play, when Love cut in to have a terrific shot rebound off the Morton goalkeeper, and YORSTON, lying handy, easily netted.
Following this reverse Morton were persistent in their attacks, and were rewarded with the equaliser. McCartney forced a corner kick and Hickie in attempting to clear, headed the ball towards his own goal for Ballantyne to intervene and give Yuill no chance.

Quick Scoring.

The five minutes before the interval provided one of the most thrilling periods of the game, three goals being scored in that time. Yuill had just cleared a long shot from Geddes when the latter again tried a similar effort, and this time the ball passed over the Aberdeen goalkeeper's upstretched arm into the net.
Aberdeen equalised immediately. Smith broke away on the left, and, centring accurately to Cheyne, that player netted from close range.
But the scoring did not end there. A free kick for Morton was finely placed by Lawson, and Ballantyne gave the visitors the lead with a smart header.
As events proved, Morton's one goal lead was not sufficient in view of their having to contend with wind and sun in the second half.

Morton's Recovery.

After the interval Aberdeen wasted no time in settling down to attack, but were met by a resolute defence, and they allowed several opportunities to slip by shooting wildly. Profiting by several escapes, Morton rallied, and swinging the ball about they had the home defence in difficulties. Twice in a short period, McCartney lost comparatively easy chances which, had they been accepted, might have settled the issue then.
As it was, the Aberdeen attack rallied and Wilson had good saves from Yorston, Cheyne, McDermid, and Love.
When it looked as if the Greenock defence would hold out, Aberdeen met with overdue success. Black sent in a high ball which Wilson dropped, and Smith fastening on, sent Into an untenanted goal.

The Winning Goals. With ten minutes to go Aberdeen took the lead, which they had earned on play. Hill swept in the ball from a free kick, and Love rushed in to crash it into the net. After this the Morton defence collapsed, and it was no surprise when, from a corner kick by Cheyne, Love headed through a fifth goal for Aberdeen.

Outstanding Players.

Neither side was able gauge the wind very well, but apart from that ten minutes of wavering in the second half, Aberdeen always appeared to have the winning of the game. They were well served in defence by Yuill, Livingstone, and Black; and in the attack by Love. Yorston, and Cheyne. For the visitors the best were Wilson (despite a costly mistake), Weir, Little, Geddes, Johnstone, and Ballantyne.

Source: Press & Journal, 23rd September 1929

Morton Teamsheet
Wilson; Weir, Little; Geddes, Hunter, Lawson; McRorie, Johnstone, Lyle, Ballantyne, McCartney
Attendance: 14,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride