Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Kilmarnock 4 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Kilmarnock 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Kilmarnock scorers: Paterson 5, Paterson (pen) 30, McGowan 65, M. Smith
Aberdeen scorers: Yorston 40, Yorston 47.

02/11/1929 | KO:


The meeting of the League leaders and the Cup holders at Rugby Park, Kilmarnock, attracted a crowd of about 9000, and they were rewarded with a stirring game, from which Kilmarnock emerged worthy winners. It was one of the most strenuous and exciting encounters seen at Kilmarnock this season, and the play at times reached a high standard. The visitors revealed themselves as a robust, go-ahead team, with a set of forwards who know the road to goal, but the half-backs were lacking in constructive ability. It was there that the main difference between the teams lay. The Kilmarnock trio were all good purveyors, and it was their splendid backing that enabled the forwards to pull the game round in their favour after Aberdeen had wiped out a two goal deficit. Kilmarnock started well, and were a goal up in five minutes, Paterson scoring from a fine cross by Connell. For some time after that the Aberdeen defence was decidedly shaky, but Kilmarnock failed to take advantage of several good openings, and, recovering from their bad spell, the visitors gave the home fefence a lively time. The initiative passed to Kilmarnock again, and after thirty minutes' play they increased their lead. A penalty kick taken by McEwan was stopped by Yuill, but a further infringement by a defender resulted in another penalty award and Paterson scored. Thanks to the opportunism of Yorston, Aberdeen reduced the leeway just before the interval, and equalised two minutes after the restart, the centre forward taking both goals smartly. There were visions then of the visitors coming out on top, but the home half-backs turned the tide, and cleverly scored goals by McGowan and M. Smith put the issue beyond doubt. In the winners? defence, T Smith, who was brought in from the Alliance team through Nibloe's absence on international duty, was sound and reliable, with Robertson a good second. All three half-backs did well, and among the forwards Williamson and Paterson were the smartest, with McGowan at centre a hard worker, and giving the Aberdeen backs little rest. Yuill gave a clever display in the visitors' goal, and Livingstone was the better of a none too reliable pair of backs, and McDermid and Smith formed the liveliest wing on the field. Yorston proved his worth as an opportunist.

Source: The Scotsman, 4th November 1929

The Aberdeen defence gave way at Rugby Park, where Kilmarnock triumphed by 4 goals to 2. This is the second defeat sustained by Aberdeen this season, and although they retain the League leadership, they are relatively not so favourably placed as Rangers and Celtic.
About 10,000 witnessed Saturday's game, which was fought throughout at the pace of a cup-tie, and there was no lack of exciting incidents. At one stage Kilmarnock led by 2-0, but Aberdeen drew level through Yorston, only to fall into arrears again.

Weakness in Defence.

Although beaten four times Yuill was blameless for the defeat of his team, and effected many brilliant saves. The backs, Hickie and Livingstone were both shaky, especially in the earlier stages of the game, and although they put in a lot of hard work, the Aberdeen halfbacks were not up to their standard in recent games.
The forwards were the best part of the team, but were badly supported; in fact, they gave the impression they could have won the match had they been better purveyed to by the men in the rear. Yorston, who scored both goals to bring his total for the season to 15, and to become the leading scorer in the First Division, was the most dangerous forward on the field.

Run of the Play.

Aberdeen were handicapped by an injury to Hill early in the game and although he was able to continue his play was affected. Aberdeen paid an early call to Clemie's charge. Kilmarnock's forwards transferred the play and Connell and Williamson both had chances which they failed to embrace.
Five minutes from the start Morton ran through on his own and placed to Connell, and the latter's cross was converted by Paterson. Kilmarnock continued to press, and Yuill's citadel was often in danger of downfall. Good fielding by McEwan gave Connell a chance but he cut matters too fine. Smith made ground for Aberdeen, but Clemie was on the spot to save. The Aberdeen outside left forced a corner off Robertson, which was not improved upon.
Fast and even play ruled; the defences on both sides proving equal to all calls. Smith was again prominent with a great shot, which Clemie saved at the foot of the post. At the other end McGowan had a drive stopped by Yuill, while Paterson was at fault in not scoring from a good pass.

Penalty Incidents.

With half an hour gone there was a remarkable incident. Kilmarnock were awarded a penalty, and Yuill at full length brilliantly saved McEwan's shot. He was not able to retain the bail, however, and it returned to McEwan, who again shot hard. This time the bill would have gone into the net but Livingstone fisted out. The referee immediately awarded another penalty kick, and on this occasion Paterson scored from the kick.
Good work by the Aberdeen forwards kept play in close proximity to Clemie's goal, and Robertson practically stopped the ball for the onrushing Yorston to beat Clemie.
After this success the Aberdeen attack was much more in evidence, and before the interval Yorston twice had Clemie in action.

Yorston Again.

Aberdeen made a spirited resumption, and in two minutes were on equal terms. Smith raced away to beat the home right back to deliver a fierce shot, which Clemie failed gather, and Yorston rushed through to dispossess him and score on the goal line.
A fine run and shot by Paterson was brilliantly parried by Yuill at full length, and McGowan and Morton shot over. McDermid let Smith away on several occasions, but the home defence prevailed, and Livingstone put in some good work for Aberdeen.
After twenty minutes' play Kilmarnock took the lead. Morton placed the ball accurately, and McGowan deflected it past Yuill.

Fourth For Kilmarnock.

For a time Kilmarnock had the better of exchanges, and the Aberdeen defence had a gruelling time. McGowan had a thrilling run negatived by Yuill running out and picking from the forward's toes.
A fourth goal fell to Kilmarnock when Smith slipped the ball forward, and following up netted from close in. Aberdeen struggled on pluckily, but suffered further handicap when Black and Hill were injured near the close, and they were limping when the game ended.

Source: Press & Journal, 4th November 1929

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Clemie; Smith, Robertson; Morton, Dunlop, McEwan; Connell, Smith, McGowan, Williamson, Paterson
Attendance: 9,000
Venue: Rugby Park, Kilmarnock
Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride