Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Celtic 4 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Celtic 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Scottish Cup Quarter Final
Celtic scorers: R. Thomson, R. Thomson, McGrory, R. Thomson

28/02/1931 | KO:

Aberdeen Crack Up At Parkhead

At the end of the first quarter of an hour this game at Celtic Park lost much of its interest. During the opening 13 minutes Aberdeen were the better team, and Celtic's defence had rather an anxious time of it. Then a back-heel effort by McDermid went astray; A. Thomson gained possession of the ball and sent it to Kavanagh. The wing man then passed the ball right across the goal and R. Thomson accepted an easy chance to open the scoring.
Some of the Aberdeen defenders seemed to be rattled by the reverse, and within a couple of minutes R. Thomson scored a second goal, the ball again coming to him from the left.
The goals were against the run of play, and it was defensive weakness that allowed R. Thomson to be uncovered on both occasions. Success gave Celtic confidence, and they steadied up. The Aberdeen half-backs lost some of their confidence, and concentrated more on defence, with the result that the raids by the forwards were not so sustained.

McDermid Prominent

Aberdeen fell away in the second half. McDermid tried hard to get his men on the move; he did many clever things himself, but he got little response from his colleagues. R. Thomson provided the thrills once more. He was much too smart for Donald and Jackson, and McGrory headed a third goal from one of his crosses. Then near the close, he snapped up a pass from McGrory, ran, in , and completed his "hat-trick."
Aberdeen were outplayed in the end, and Celtic's victory was as easy as the score would indicate. Had Hill and Yorston been playing things might have been different. Hill, one imagines, would have seen to the covering of R. Thomson, and Yorston might have scored from a chance which Love missed after ten minutes' play. Love was not a success in the centre, and it was not surprising that he and McLean changed places after half an hour. Celtic had struck their game by this time, however, and McStay gave his old colleague few opportunities to shine. Smith was the better of the wingers. Dickie was good at times, but he often tried to do too much himself.

Half-Backs At Fault

Aberdeen's half-backs had much to do with the poor display given; had they continued to play as they did in the opening minutes interest in the game might have been sustained. When they fell back on the defensive, however, they altered the whole aspect of the game, as they seldom followed up the forwards. Black was the vest of the three, but he and McLaren hung on to the ball far too long on occasion. Falloon was the better back, and Smith had some clever saves in goal.
After a shaky start Celtic played like winners. They have a combination of brains and bustle which look like taking them to victory in the final. Thomson in goal had an easy day, and both backs kicked and tackled with confidence. Scarff was effective if not outstanding in a reliable half-back line. R. Thomson showed international form; A. Thomson was the schemer-in-chief and made many openings, while Napier was the best of the others. Kavanagh was often short with his crosses, and will have to learn to put more force behind the ball.
Aberdeen's display was a disappointment, and the game fizzled out long before the final whistle. The large crowd was remarkably quiet, and enthusiasm never rose above that usually displayed at a League game.

Source: Glasgow Herald, 2nd March 1931


Yorston and Hill Very Badly Missed.



Aberdeen's Scottish Cup aspirations were completely and finally obliterated at Parkhead, where a crowd of 64,000 saw Celtic gain easy passage into the semi-final by reason of a 4-0 win.
The absence of Yorston and Hill played a big part the defeat of the Pittodrie eleven. Had Scotland's international centre-forward and left half been playing Aberdeen would not have lost by four goals, and might have succeeded in forcing a replay.
The Dons gave a plucky display, but after the fourteenth minute when R Thomson gave Celts the lead, they were a beaten side.

S. Smith in Grand Form.

Smith, in the visitors' goal, put up a great fight, and but for his brilliance Celtic might well have doubled their total.
Falloon and Jackson had a gruelling afternoon, but both came through with colours flying. The left back was the steadier, and this despite the fact that he was up against Celtic's right winsg, from which three of the goals accrued.
Aberdeen's intermediate line was a defensive factor only, and the attack, which was seldom in evidence after the start, got little support from this department.
Donald, the 20-year-old reserve player, who at the last minute took Hill's place at left half, gave a plucky display and has the makings of a first-Class player. He lacks only one thing, and that is experience. Black played well, and McLaren was probably the most effective of the trio.

Attack Fails.

The Aberdeen attack was only a shadow of its usual self and, as was stated, was seldom seen after the first twenty minutes. McDermid was the "star," and the hero of the game. Time and again he attempted to lead his forces, but their response was poor and they never got the measure of the Celtic backs, Cook and McGonagle.
Love was a failure at centre-forward, and when McLean took his place, shortly before the interval he fared no better.
Celtic were best served by the two backs, Scarff, Geatons, A. and R. Thomson, and McGrory.

The Game.

Aberdeen had much the better of matters In the opening stage, and Love lost a chance when he failed to reach a terrific drive by Smith, which Thomson could only push out. McLean headed over from a Smith cross when he might have done better, and then it was all Thomson could so to punch over grand drive by Donald.
At this stage Aberdeen's prospects looked rosy, but with fourteen minutes gone R. Thomson accepted a Kavanagh cross to give Celtic an undeserved lead.
When, one minute later. R. Thomson secured a second goal, Aberdeen were eclipsed.
This lead gave Celtic the necessary confidence, and Aberdeen were kept almost entirely on the defensive. Smith in the Aberdeen goal made several miraculous saves, and it was due entirely to his play that Aberdeen were not further behind at the interval.

Second Half.

An early Aberdeen attack quickly faded, and an attempt by McLean to burst through lacked the necessary impetus.
Thereafter it was all Celtic, and a fine shot by McGrory caused the cross-bar to shake. Napier missed a chance, but McGrory quickly rectified this by heading home an R. Thomson cross.
Aberdeen's defence was over-run, but still they fought back, and it was near the dose ere R. Thomson completed his hat trick.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd March 1931

Celtic Teamsheet
J. Thomson; Cook, McGonagle; Gestens, McStay, Scarff; R. Thomson, A. Thomson, McGrory, Napier, Kavanagh
Attendance: 64,699
Venue: Celtic Park, Glasgow
Referee: W. Bell, Motherwell
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride