Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Partick Thistle scorers: Morrison

13/02/1932 | KO:

DONS UNLUCKY AT FIRHILL. Pittodrie Youngsters' Fine Display.

About 8000 spectators were at Firhill Park, Glasgow, where Partick Thistle beat Aberdeen by a goal to nothing. The best of the play was seen in the first half, when both teams played clever football. Shortly after the interval Dickie, the Aberdeen right half, received a severe cut above the eye, which had to be stitched, and he took no further part in the game. His departure had an upsetting effect on the Aberdeen side, and the play towards the end was very scrappy. When they were at full strength, Aberdeen were just as good a team as the Thistle. Their forwards, well supported by the half-backs, played fast, open football, and goals should have come from the many fine centres of Love, who was easily the most dangerous forward on view. The Thistle's forwards played more closely together, and Ballantyne and Torbet, on the left wing, served up many clever bouts of passing. After 26 minutes' play Morrison scored the only goal by cleverly hooking a pass from Ness into the corner of the net well out of Cummings' reach. The second half ran mostly in favour of the Thistle, but great defensive work by Cummings, Cooper, McGill, and Falloon kept the Thistle forwards from adding to their score. It was a day iin which defence prevailed over attack.

Source: The Scotsman, 15th February 1932


Aberdeen were very unlucky to drop both points to Thistle at Firhill. They more than held their own until Dickie had to off seventeen minutes after the restart, with a cut above the eye sustained attempting to head a low ball away from Grove.
Aberdeen's young team, two of whom, Adam and Beattie, are not yet twenty years old, gave a plucky display, and fully deserved a point. The Thistle goal which earned the points was a lucky one. Cumming, the Pittodrie 'keeper, alleges that, while the referee was inquiring how he felt after receiving a knock from Morrison, the centre-forward fastened on to a Grove pass and hooked the ball into the net.
The Aberdeen team were always more dangerous in attack, but bad luck and good goalkeeping kept them from counting.
Cumming, Cooper and McGill gave good displays, but the outstanding figure in defence was Falloon. Aberdeen's Irishman completely blanketed Morrison, the Partick leader.
Dickie at left-half had just struck his best form, and was forcing the game in good style when he came by his injury. Fraser showed some clever touches against Ballantyne and Torbet, the Thistle left wing. He could travel upfield rapidly with the ball, but was inclined to lose control rather easily.

Love and Warnock Mediocre.

Love and Warnock, on the wings, were only mediocre. Warnock, who was on the left, was never comfortable, and the same might almost be said of Beattie, although the inside man was one of the Dons most forceful forwards. Adam displayed clever touches, but was inclined to hang on to the ball too long, and, as a result, detracted from his value. David played with unbounded enthusiasm and gave the Thistle defence little rest, he missed one grand opportunity in the first half, when he drove past from a Beattie slip.
In a hard-working Partick eleven Jackson, Calderwood and Grove were the best defence and Ness, Miller and Torbet in attack.

Description of Play.

Partick made the first dangerous move, Cumming saving at full length from Ness, and Grove heading past. Aberdeen were quick to retaliate, and Jackson twice saved from Love. The 'keeper could only push out the second shot, and was lucky to get back to his charge time to save Beattie's header.
David, next got past the backs, but sent over, and at the other end Morrison was only inches high with a fine drive.
Play moved quickly from end to end. Jackson saved a grand effort by Adam, and Fraser was only inches off the target. Cumming dealt with a header from Morrison at the other end, and was lucky to get in the way of a Grove try.
David missed the chance given him by Beattie, and then Morrison got the all-important goal. Aberdeen attacked with renewed vigour and Jackson punched a David header against the woodwork, and saved a long drive from Dickie. Love and Adam had him in action again, and Fraser hit the upright.
Luck was with the Dons when Morrison headed against the crossbar, but Thistle were equally fortunate when David hit the woodwork at the other end. David again came within an ace of scoring a few minutes after the start of the second half, and at the Aberdeen goal, Cummings cleared with Morrison on top of him.

Dickie Injured.

With seventeen minutes gone, Dickie had to retire, and Aberdeen were forced on the defence. They shook off the pressure, and David, Love and Fraser had commendable tries.
Miller, with nobody but the 'keeper to beat, missed a golden opportunity of augmenting Thistle's lead, and Morrison also failed to accept a scoring chance.
Aberdeen's ten men fought back in great style and David again missed narrowly. Near the close luck was with the homesters, when a sure counter by Falloon was deflected by a defender.

Source: Press & Journal, 15th February 1932

Partick Thistle Teamsheet
Jackson; Calderwood, Fitzsimmons; Grove, Donnelly McLeod; Ness, Miller, Morrison, Ballantyne, Torbet
Attendance: 11,000
Venue: Firhill, Glasgow
Referee: W. G. Holburn, Glasgow