Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 1 Kilmarnock

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Kilmarnock

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Armstrong 25, Mills 40.
Kilmarnock scorers: Fraser (o.g.) 41

14/03/1936 | KO: 15:00


Team Gives Impression of Being Stale


Aberdeen won as narrowly as the score suggests. All three goals were scored the first half, and only the fact that after the interval Kilmarnock seemed likely to draw level as Aberdeen did to increase their lead kept interest alive.

The Ayrshire men may consider themselves a trifle unfortunate not to get a division of the spoils, for twice they came within a fraction of snatching the equaliser. On the first occasion Williamson sent the ball smashing against the underside of the crossbar, and again in the closing minutes Gavin deflected a hard shot by Thomson against his own 'keeper.
Yet Aberdeen might have won by a convincing margin. They should have led by more than one goal at the interval. That they did not so was entirely due to the weak finishing of the forwards. The old fault of attempting to walk the ball into the net was again in evidence.

Too Close Play

Time and again they worked their way into the goalmouth when a shot would have proved more profitable.
Kilmarnock were no more impressive in the matter of finishing, but with them it was not a case of too close play but just bad finishing.
It was a poor game and the home players gave the impression that they were suffering from the effects of recent strenuous Cup and League games.
Smith kept a good goal for Aberdeen and had no chance with the shot that beat him, while Cooper was the sounder and more polished back. Although he made no vital errors, McGill did not inspire confidence.
Gavin, who came in for Falloon at centre-half, acquitted himself creditably in the role of third back, and gave Robertson, the Kilmarnock leader, few chances. Ritchie, who deputised for Thomson, also emerged from the game with credit. He worked hard in defence and was always ready to back up his forwards when opportunity arose.
Fraser seemed to tire quickly, and neither in defence nor attack did he reveal his best form.

Mills Impresses

Mills was Aberdeen's No. 1 forward, and along with Beattie, the Kilmarnock inside-left, shared the honours of the game. Mills was clever on the ball and distributed play skilfully.
McKenzie, who was injured in the first half went to outside right after the interval, butt although he was crippling badly, he got across several dangerous centres. Beynon was a hardworking forward, and it was unfortunate that he had to move into the inside berth.
Armstrong did not touch his best form and was not as quick as usual to seize a chance, while Lang, after a bright opening, rarely took the eye.

Hard-Working Defence

Kilmarnock had a hard-working defence, in which Leslie was outstanding. Miller had a number of good saves, and McClure did much valuable work when Aberdeen were on the offensive. Ross was a smart and enterprising left-half.
In Beattie Kilmarnock possessed a clever and dangerous inside forward. Williamson on the right was forceful, and Thomson was a fast and dangerous right wing raider.
Aberdeen opened the scoring after twenty minutes' play. A Mills slip saw Lang break away on the left. Miller could only push down the winger's shot and Armstrong was lying in position to place the ball in the net.
Immediately afterwards Lang again gave the centre a fine chance, but he sent wildly past. Mills secured Aberdeen's second goal five minutes from the interval after he and Lang had smartly worked their way through the defence.
From the re-centre Kilmarnock broke away and Fraser accidentally deflected a shot by Robertson past his own 'keeper.

Source: Press & Journal, 16th March 1936

Kilmarnock Teamsheet
Miller; Leslie, Milloy; Morton, McClure, Ross; Thomson, Williamson, Robertson, Seattle, Roberts
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: D. F. Reilly, Port Glasgow