Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 5 - 2 Clyde

HT Score: Aberdeen 3 - 0 Clyde

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Lang 20, Devine 22, Armstrong 40, Devine 58, Armstrong 62.
Clyde scorers: Robertson 46, Wilson 67

01/09/1937 | KO: 19:00



As was the case against Partick Thistle on Saturday, Aberdeen gave a good exhibition in the first half, when they defeated Clyde at Pittodrie last night, but their play in the closing stages of the game was disappointing.
The Dons, however, retired worthy winners. Although Clyde put up a plucky display, and gave glimpses of clever football, they were well beaten.


For the greater part of the game the Dons were on top, but at times their finishing was weak. Had they taken full advantage of all their opportunities, the score in their favour would have been greater. Their form was not up to championship standard.
A feature of the game was the fine football of Armstrong, especially in the first half. During that period, the Dons' leader had a number of brilliant moves, while his distribution was effective and clever. He always had the measure of Robb, the opposing centre-half.
Lang, the Dons' outside-left, was also in fine fettle. Although his nose was broken in Saturday's match, his play suffered nothing by the accident. He had splendid support from Devine, who was at inside left. Indeed, the Aberdeen left wing was always a source of danger.
McKenzie put in a power of hard work in the inside-right berth and was extremely clever on the ball. His finishing, however, might have been improved.
W. Scott, the reserve centre-forward, who deputised on the right wing, played a hard game, but is better suited to the centre's position.
Fraser was the best half-back. He forced on play splendidly, and was sound in defence.
Falloon showed improvement on Saturday's form, but his play is not up to last season's standard.
Thomson, at left-half, was the weakest in a hard-working line.
Johnstone, in goal, brought off a number of excellent saves, but he seemed at fault when Clyde notched their second goal.
The backs, Cooper and Temple, were inclined to be somewhat shaky under pressure.
Clyde, who put up a game fight, had a clever combination in Noble and Gillies. Noble, in particular, was outstanding, and gave the home defence a good deal of trouble.


One of the hardest workers afield was Urquhart, the former Inverness Thistle player, who turned out at half-back for Clyde.
In Kirby, Clyde had a grand right-back. What he lacked in inches he more than made up for in zest and dash.
The first real danger to the Clyde goal came when Armstrong let Lang away on the right. From the winger's cross. Scott gave to Armstrong, whose shot, luckily for Clyde, struck a defender.
The Dons were having the better of matters, and in ten minutes Armstrong had the ball in the net, but off-side nullified the point.
In the next minute Johnstone did well to stop an awkward shot from Noble.
After twenty minutes Aberdeen took the lead. Fraser started the movement, and gave to Armstrong, whose attempt was blocked. Lang and McKenzie went for the rebound, and the winger easily defeated Brown.
Two minutes later a classic movement by the entire Dons' attack saw them increase their lead. It was a fine piece of combined play which started with Armstrong flicking neatly to Scott. The winger's cross to McKenzie was transferred to Devine, and the inside left made no mistake.
Only brilliant save by Johnstone prevented Clyde opening their account. At full length he knocked a hard Noble drive round the post for a corner.
The Dons, who were playing strongly, got their third goal in forty minutes, Armstrong scoring from Scott pass.


The Clyde attack showed a change in formation when the teams resumed, Hope going to outside right and Robertson to the inside position. The change had its effect, for in the first minute the Shawfield combination reduced the leeway.
Robertson got away on the right, but his shot was blocked by Falloon. and from the rebound he sent past Johnstone.
Aberdeen forced on play after this reverse, and from a Scott corner Lang tested Brown, and minutes later the same player sent past the post with only the 'keeper to beat.
The thirteenth minute saw Aberdeen restore their three-goal lead. It came after a spell of home attack, and had its initiation with Devine rounding Stewart and giving to Lang, whose pass was sent into the net by Armstrong.
The Dons completed their total after seventeen minutes, Devine being the marksman. He went for a ball blocked Dy Stewart, and gave Brown no chance with a low hard drive.
Clyde fought back gamely and got their reward in the twenty-second minute. Johnstone only knocked down a try from the right and Wilson lifted the ball into the net before the 'keeper got back to his charge.
When the ball was re-centred the Clyde wing halves changed places.
One the best shots of the game came from Gillies after a weak clearance by Cooper. The winger sent in a pile-driver which Johnstone had difficulty in clearing.
Devine should have increased the home total when, with no one in front of him but the 'keeper he sent an Armstrong cross past the post.

Source: Press & Journal, 2nd September 1937

Clyde Teamsheet
Brown; Kirk, Hughes; Urquhart, Robb, Stewart; Robertson, Hope, Wilson, Noble, Gillies
Attendance: 12,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: J. Baillie, Motherwell
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead