Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Falkirk

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Falkirk

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Shewan 43, Johnston 69.

30/03/1968 | KO: 15:00

Bairns beaten - but not spanked

This was not the most exciting of games but it provided the Dons with two welcome points as they strove for a place in the following season's Fairs Cup, the forerunner of the UEFA Cup. The decade of the 1960s was particularly unsuccessful for Aberdeen and only 5000 fans attended this match.

There was an early thrill for the home fans as Ian Taylor, one of Aberdeen's fastest runners, chased a long clearance from Jim Whyte, outstripped Baillie and slipped the ball just wide of Devlin's goal as the keeper came out to narrow the angle. Whyte then wasted a free kick before Taylor had a shot which the keeper dropped and he was grateful to Lambie who was on hand to clear. Although Gibson seemed to arm the ball in the next Aberdeen raid no penalty was awarded. Falkirk were now soaking up plenty of pressure and Lambie and Hunter in particular were defending stoutly. Devlin dropped on a low shot from Willie Watt and then Ian Cumming headed past from a Jens Petersen cross. Watt again had a good shot which missed narrowly. Falkirk suddenly came to life in an attacking sense and forced three corners in quick succession, all proving fruitless. Really it was poor entertainment with Falkirk seemingly content to try to contain Aberdeen. Two efforts by Dave Johnston livened things up and then Gibson gave the home team a fright when his shot was diverted from Petersen on to the post. With Baillie dominating, most of Devlin's touches were from pass-backs. In 43 minutes Aberdeen gave their supporters something to cheer when the two full backs combined. Whyte crossed for Ally Shewan to head a good goal.

The same pattern continued with Baillie particularly conspicuous but Taylor should have scored when he was sent clean through. Again Devlin narrowed the angle to thwart the striker. Taylor was prominent in the next Dons' attack. He sent over a perfect corner-kick for Cumming to have his header well saved. This was the signal for Aberdeen to renew their efforts in a bid to obtain the vital second goal. This duly arrived in the 69th minute when careless passing in the Falkirk defence gave Watt possession of the ball. He passed to Johnston who netted a simple goal. This period of joy for Aberdeen and the fans was very fleeting and the game soon lapsed into mediocrity again. Petersen was the next player to shoot wide. At least the weather was bright! Johnston was on the point of shooting when Baillie made a brilliant tackle and then Taylor forced Devlin into an excellent save to prevent a third goal. For most of the game it had been virtually one-way traffic with two goals scant reward for Aberdeen's pressure and effort. They were shocked by a sudden burst of Falkirk activity in the closing stages. They mounted two attacks. One brought out a good save from Bobby Clark and then he was beaten and had to than he was beaten and had to thank Tommy McMillan for clearing the ball off the line.

Source: Match Programme, 17th October 1992

Falkirk Teamsheet
Devlin, Lambie, Hunter, Markie, Baillie, Gibson, McManus, Smith, Graham, McLaughlin, Watson
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: W. Balfour, Inverness
Next Match
23 Jul 2024 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen