Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Hamburg

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Hamburg

European Super Cup Final Second Leg
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson 47, McGhee 64.

20/12/1983 | KO: 19:30

Dons are crowned kings of Europe

Tonight Aberdeen became the first, and to date the only, team to lift two European trophies when they defeated Hamburg 2-0 at Pittodrie. Two second half goals from Simpson and McGhee did the damage and ensured the Dons would end 1983 as kings of Europe. Aberdeen historian Kevin Stirling remembers that fantastic night of December 1983.

The Aberdeen manager knew that he would have to change his side for the return at Pittodrie as Hamburg were renowned for having a strong defence and there was always the danger of being caught on the break. Aberdeen kept faith with new signing Stewart McKimmie who was to make his European debut for the Dons and the Dons also brought John McMaster back into the starting line up. McMaster's range of passing and craft would be vital for the Dons. Doug Bell was so often the Dons secret weapon in the European arena and he was again in the side.

The game began in a mild drizzle and the visitors gave evidence of their style with some patient, probing build-ups in the opening minutes. Uli Stein was the first keeper to be called in to action after he smothered a neat Strachan lob after fine set up play by McKimmie. The first danger to the Aberdeen goal came when a Magath shot was deflected for a corner off Neil Simpson. From the corner kick Jakobs sent his header over the bar. After eight minutes Willie Miller sent Peter Weir away down the left and his cross was punched clear by Stein. In 16 minutes Bell found McKimmie unmarked and Hewitt did well to set up McGhee. The Dons striker's overhead kick was cleared for a corner. That sparked further pressure by the Dons and Stein saved well from McMaster and Hewitt in quick succession.

There was a moment of concern for the Aberdeen camp in 20 minutes when Willie Miller went down injured but to the roar of the capacity crowd the Dons skipper returned to the fray. Hamburg were content to sit in but they showed enough quality when they did break clear. However it was Aberdeen that continued to press and McGhee forced Stein into a fine save before Weir continued the onslaught. Hamburg were looking to shoot from long range but Jim Leighton was never seriously troubled after a comfortable save from Hartwig. Four minutes before the break Hamburg substituted Schatzschieder who had failed to shake off an earlier knock.

Aberdeen resumed the second half with renewed vigour and they were rewarded with the opening goal in 47 minutes. Weir created the opening with a typical 60-yard run, which left Manny Kaltz wallowing at the pace of Weir. Hewitt did not immediately control Weir's cross but he recovered to set up NEIL SIMPSON, who took time to make room for a shot that gave Stein no chance. Aberdeen might have increased their lead twice shortly after the goal. McGhee sent in a fierce angled drive, which was punched over by Stein, and then Hewitt volleyed over the bar. It was all Aberdeen at that point and McGhee saw his header saved by Stein before the Dons brought on Eric Black for John Hewitt in 63 minutes.

Within a minute Aberdeen extended their lead. A Weir corner swerved away from Black's head before finding Miller beyond the far post. The Dons captain set up MARK McGHEE to finally score from close range. Hamburg then replaced the toiling Kaltz with Hanson in 68 minutes. It made no real difference as the Dons were now in total control and began to dominate the Germans. All the late action was around the Hamburg goal. A snapshot from Black almost caught out keeper Stein and in 83 minutes Neil Simpson had the ball in the net again, but it was ruled out for offside. Three minutes from time Eric Black broke clear and slipped the ball past the keeper but his effort was cleared by another defender.

The scenes of joy at the end was reflected by a jubilant set of players who took a deserved lap of honour after being presented with the European Super Cup plaque. Never before or since had the Dons profile been so high. No less than 80 countries worldwide had beamed the game from Pittodrie on live television with a similar amount taking in the highlights. In becoming the first and only Scottish side to win the Super Cup and two European trophies, it was an impressive Aberdeen record. Up to that point in their history Aberdeen had won 27 of their 55 Euro ties with 13 drawn, and the game against Hamburg was the 12th time in 27 European ties that the opposition had been denied a score.

Manager Ferguson was a happy manager. "In the first half we allowed them too much room. However that was sorted out at the interval and when the first goal came it changed the complexion of the game. We began to really hurt them in the second half and Weir was giving Kaltz a real doing. Gordon Strachan showed all of his arrogance and he was a major factor in our second half performance."

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Leighton, McKimmie, McMaster, Simpson, McLeish, Miller, Strachan, Hewitt (Black 63), McGhee, Bell, Weir.

Unused Subs: Gunn, Angus, McIntyre, Falconer.
Hamburg Teamsheet
Stein, Kaltz (Hanson 68), Wehmeyer, Jakobs, Hieronymous, Hartwig, Schroder, Groh, Schatzschneider (Wuttke 41), Magath, Roff
Attendance: 22,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: H. Brummeirer, Austria
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen