Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Dunfermline Athletic

Scottish Cup Quarter Final Replay

18/03/2009 | KO: 19:45

Dons crash out of Cup.

Aberdeen crashed out of the Scottish Cup 4-2 in a penalty shootout at Pittodrie as they once again lost out to lower league opposition. Scott Severin and Richard Foster had their kicks saved as Dunfermline netted all four efforts to seal the win. In a promising start, the Dons carved out two clear cut chances in the opening ten minutes. Mackie should have connected with an Aluko cross in the opening minute and Gallacher made a fine finger tip save from a Kerr header. The game deteriorated after this and the fans were short changed in a poor quality 90 minutes. The Dons looked more positive in extra time, but the Dunfermline defence, who had been strong all night, held firm and took the tie to spot kicks.

Dunfermline kicked off on a mild night at Pittodrie but it was Aberdeen who first threatened in the 2nd minute. Mackie just failed to connect with the ball as it was fired over by Aluko. A minute later Mackie turned provider as his cross was met by Kerr and Gallacher was forced into a finger tip save that produced the first corner. Nothing came from the set play, but it was a great start from the Dons and they should have been ahead at this stage. Jamie Smith looked to have broken on the left in the 6th minute, but as Woods appeared to slip, referee Eddie Smith awarded a free kick.

A Severin shot was deflected for the second corner in the 8th minute, but it was well defended. The Pars were on the back foot at this stage and keeper Gallacher fumbled the ball under a challenge from Mackie before Wilson scrambled it clear. Dunfermline had their first glimpse of goal in the 13th minute as Bayne sent a shot well wide of the goal. Aluko was terrorising the Pars defence, but after a promising run in the 15th minute he fired well over causing real terror in row Z of the Merkland Stand. Jamie Langfield didn't look to clever in the 17th minute when he came for a cross, missed it and allowed Bell to head inches wide.

The pars had settled after a poor start and chances were now at a premium, but Aberdeen won another corner in the 25th minute that lead to Diamond heading wide at the far post. Three minutes later Foster had an ambitious effort from distance, but Gallacher gathered easily. Dithering in the Dons defence caused a few flutters in the stands in the 32nd minute and a minute later Langfield was forced into a fine save as the Dons early promise deserted them. Three minutes later Aluko won a free kick wide on the left, but the subsequent delivery was steered harmlessly wide. The frustrations continued and Jimmy Calderwood will have been glad to get his side in at the interval to try and reorganise.

Aberdeen won the first corner of the second half with only three minutes on the clock. The ball was cleared and at the other end Mole, who looked well offside, was eventually crowded out as he looked set to strike. Some good passing play in the 55th minute ended in disappointment as the ball was steered wide. Two minutes later Langfield was forced to turn a Phinn header over the bar as the game balanced on a knife edge. The Dons won a couple of corners on the hour mark, but the attack ended with Diamond heading over.

There was a nervousness spreading round the stadium as the game unfolded and a corner in the 65th minute witnessed a real stramash in front of keeper Gallacher. Both Diamond and Mair had chances and a tame penalty claim was rightly turned down. At the other end Langfield was at full stretch to deny Mole as the game burst into life. Considine replaced the injured Lee Mair in the 68th minute. Seconds later Langfield had to get down smartly stopping a low drive from Woods. Gallacher was scrambling to collect an Aluko cross in the 71st minute and two minutes later Duff replaced Maguire as Jimmy tied to shuffle his pack.

A good run from Aluko in the 75th minute ended in disappointment as his cross went too deep. Dunfermline looked the more likely to break the deadlock at this stage as the Dons began to look nervous. Mackie won a free kick 25 yards out with only three minutes remaining and Mulgrew's effort was deflected wide for a corner. As the ball came across a Considine header looked to be net bound before it was scrambled off the line. Dunfermline then won a corner in the final minute, but Langfield gathered comfortably. A Mulgrew free kick in injury time failed to pierce the Pars defence and in the final seconds Aluko had a great chance to steal the game, but the ball was blocked on the line by Wilson allowing the keeper to gather.

The Red Army got behind Aberdeen as they kicked off in extra time and drove forward. McCann did well to escape the attentions of Aluko in the 94th minute and a minute later Smith fired over from distance as Aberdeen forced the play. Three minutes later Dunfermline won a corner, but Langfield claimed the ball and the Dons broke quickly and won their own corner at the other end. The delivery was poor and as the ball was cleared Foster was rather harshly cautioned.

Good close play in the 102nd minute produced a corner, but once again the Pars defence was solid. An Aluko shot two minutes later was blocked inside a busy penalty area before the referee blew for the interval. Jimmy Calderwood made the last change as Tommy Wright replaced Aluko much to the frustration of the fans. Smith showed some fine play as he skinned the full back and swung in an inviting cross, but Gallacher had an easy save from Wright's header.

Foster forced another corner, but the delivery from Smith was easily cleared as Dunfermline slowed the play down and looked happy to take their chance on the penalty shootout. Aberdeen had more positive ideas but the Pars defence continued to stand firm. A Foster cross found Smith, but he slipped as he controlled the ball and the chance was gone with only four minutes remaining. The Dons continued to lay siege on the away goal, but the black and white wall held firm.

In the shootout Duff netted the first kick off the post, before former Don, Stephen Glass levelled. Captain Severin then had his effort saved before Woods put the Pars ahead despite Langfield going close. Mulgrew scored before Burke kept Dunfermline in front. Foster then had his effort saved and Bayne sealed the win as he sent Langfield the wrong way to send the small band of Dunfermline supporters into raptures.

Aberdeen Teamsheet
Langfield, Mulgrew, Foster, Severin, Diamond, Mair (Considine 67), Aluko (Wright 106), Kerr, Mackie, Smith, Maguire (Duff 73).

Unused Subs: Bossu, Young.

Bookings:  Foster (98).
Dunfermline Athletic Teamsheet
Paul Gallacher, Calum Woods, Scott Thomson, Scott Wilson, Austin McCann, Alex Burke, Stephen Glass, Steven Bell (Greg Ross 115), Nick Phinn (Rory Loy 80), Jamie Mole (Scott Muirhead 80), Graham Bayne. Unused Subs: Greg Paterson, Paul Willis.
Attendance: 13,567
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Eddie Smith, Hamilton