Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

St. Johnstone 3 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: St. Johnstone 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Dewar Shield Semi Final
St. Johnstone scorers: McLaren 13, Lorimer 74, Mason 83
Aberdeen scorers: McKenzie 89.

18/08/1937 | KO: 19:00




Aberdeen have not had long to wait for their first defeat. At Perth last night they were beaten 3-1 by St Johnstone in a Dewar Shield tie.

The Dons gave a disappointing display, and impressed neither in defence nor attack. St Johnstone were the stronger and more methodical side, and thoroughly deserved their victory.
The game was played under atrocious conditions. Torrential rain fell during the first half, and every time a player kicked the ball he got a shower-bath. It was a hard game, and considering the state of the ground the football was of quite a good standard.
Aberdeen have lost their grip on the Dewar Shield, and unless there is a big improvement in their play, their challenge for League honours will die before it is properly under way.<.br> The Dons' defence was shaky under pressure, and the attack showed a surprising lack of thrust. The treacherous state of the ground and the skiddy ball were not excuses.
Naturally, the conditions were the same for both teams. St Johnstone, who favoured open tactics, deserved credit for their ability to suit their style of play to the state of the ground.
It was their first appearance of the season before their own supporters, and they created quite a good impression.


Although beaten three times, Johnstone was in no way to blame for the Dons' defeat. In fact, but for his brilliance on more than one occasion, they might have suffered a heavier defeat. Of the remainder of the defence, only Dunlop impressed. The centre-half kept a fairly good grip of Lorimer, and brought off a number of smart clearances.
Cooper and Temple never succeeded in subduing the extreme wingers, and the left-back was inclined to be erratic in his clearances.
Fraser and Thomson worked hard in defence, but found it difficult to check the inside men, and their play seldom reached high standard. Of the pair Thomson was the better.
The attack produced some clever football, but made the mistake of overdoing the close-passing game, and never appeared to carry the same strength as their opponents.
Armstrong was well held by Littlejohn. and this despite the fact that he roamed from wing to wing. Mackenzie worked hard, but met with little success, and Mills, though clever, lacked forcefulness. Brady the right was disappointing, and could make little impression on Taylor. Ritchie Smith was the most dangerous of the line, but was inclined to he over impetuous.
St Johnstone were well served in defence. and Taylor was outstanding. McCall was the more clever of a pair of smart wing halves, while in attack Tennant and Caskie were dangerous raiders. Simpson, however, was the outstanding Perth attacker. He was forceful, and was not afraid to shoot. McLaren, too, played well.

McLAREN SCORES,/p> St Johnstone got into their stride right away, and a smart attacking movement saw Simpson dart through from a clever Lorimer lob to test Johnstone. The Dons showed that the Perth men had no monopoly of football skill. A beautiful close-passing game by the inside men saw Mills send the ball crashing against Littlejohn with Wylie out of position. The Saints pressed strongly, and in thirteen minutes they scored a grand goal. The movement started on the left, and a fast cross from Caskie was headed into the net by McLaren before the Aberdeen defence could move.
The Dons replied with a down-the-middle attack, and it almost brought the equaliser, Smith's try missing the far post by inches.
Brady should have equalised when McKenzie made an opening, and the winger shot into the keeper's hands. St Johnstone broke away on the right, and Caskie and Simpson combined to make an opening for the latter, who brought Johnstone into action with a fierce drive.
Although the Dons did a good deal of attacking they failed to find a weakling in the Perth defence, probably because they persisted in playing a close game.
Saints were the more dangerous when they got going, and Caskie almost counted from a through pass by McCall. The Aberdeen goal had a very narrow escape. Both Fraser and Dunlop failed to intercept Mason's free-kick, and the ball landed the foot of Lorimer, who was unmarked. The centre shot, but Johnstone dived sideways to bring off a grand save. The Dons' reply was as quick as it was dangerous. Armstrong let Smith through, accepted the return pass and parted to Brady. The winger shot accurately, and Wylie leapt high to punch the ball against the crossbar.
St Johnstone's first attack in the second half produced a thrill. A corner by Tennant went to Caskie, and Johnstone saved the left winger's shot at the foot of the post.


Following severe pressure by the Perth team, Aberdeen rallied, and an excellently-conceived movement almost brought a goal. It was a clearance by Dunlop that started the trouble. Fraser gained possession and, in co-operation with McKenzie, made ground rapidly. On the edge of the penalty area, the right half parted to Mills, and Wylie at full stretch touched the inside left's shot past the post for a corner.
One minute later, the Perth keeper made a very lucky save. Brady screwed Mills' cross out to McKenzie, and the latter's swerving shot deceived Wylie, but struck him on the leg.
Brady missed a chance when he received a McKenzie pass, but instead of travelling towards goal, he shot and the ball went past.
In twenty-nine minutes, St Johnstone increased their lead. Simpson broke clear on the left, and Johnstone could only punch out his shot for Lorimer to head into the net. Nine minutes later came the highlight of the match. Mason received possession from a McCall free kick, and wandered clean through the Aberdeen defence to walk the ball into the net.
Aberdeen got some consolation a minute from the end, when they gained a well-worked for goal. McKenzie was the marksman, and he placed his shot carefully past the keeper following smart work by Armstrong.

Source: Press & Journal, 19th August 1937

St. Johnstone Teamsheet
Wylie, Welsh, Taylor, Mason, Littlejohn, McCall, Tennant, McLaren, Lorimer, Simpson, Caskie.
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Muirton Park, Perth
Referee: J. M. Martin, Ladybank
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride