Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Leith Athletic 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Leith Athletic 0 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 2 (Old)
Leith Athletic scorers: Cameron
Aberdeen scorers: Robertson.

18/03/1905 | KO:

These teams had their first encounter under Scottish League auspices at Logie Green on Saturday. Aberdeen kicked off before a good attendance, and attacked early. Their centre forward had to retire with an injury received shortly after the start, and they played a man short till the finish. Leith Athletic maintained a fairly consistent attack throughout the remainder of the first half, but making little use of their chances, the teams crossed over with no scoring. The second half had not been long in progress when Robertson broke away near centre, and finished off a fine run by scoring for Aberdeen. After this reverse Leith Athletic played up strongly, and put the Aberdeen defence to a severe test, MacFarlane having to save his charge more than once. From a scramble in front of the goal Cameron scored for the Athletic, and though they played keenly to the finish, no further scoring took place. Result:- A draw, one goal each.

Source: The Scotsman, 1905-03-20

Aberdeen played Leith Athletic at Leith on Saturday. The weather was excellent, but after the morning's rain the pitch was a trifle heavy. Leith were at full strength, but the Aberdeen were without McAulay, who, owing to indisposition, had to stand down in favour of Ritchie. Teams:-
Leith: Laing; Thompson, McRae; Moffat, Armstrong, Gordon; Grant, Walker, Cameron, Noon, Dow.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Murray, D. McNicol; Halkett, Strang, Low; Harvey, Robertson, Ruddiman, Edgar, Ritchie.
Referee - Mr. P.Hodge, Dunfermline.

Aberdeen were called upon to face a strong breeze, but they started in business-like fashion, and by clever combination they make good progress. Aided by the wind the homesters indulged in several rushes to wards Macfarlane, but Murray and McNicol offered stubborn opposition, and the shots which manage to get the length of the custodian were usually taken a long and consequently ineffective ranges. The game had not been many minutes in progress when Rodham and found it necessary to retire. Taking advantage of the northerners' weakened front rank, the homesters redouble their efforts, and for a time they kept the Aberdeen defence on tenterhooks, but numerous chances were spoiled by weak finishing. In the course of a scrimmage within the penalty line McNicol accidental the handled, and the referee thought he was justified in granting a free kick.Cameron, however, who took the kick sent the ball far wide of the mark, and danger was averted. Leith were undoubtedly holding the upper hand, but there finishing was wretched, and on this account many excellent chances went for nothing. As the game progressed Aberdeen became prominent, and quite easily held their own against the bustling Leith forwards, to whom shooting seemed to be a lost art. In the closing minutes of the period three corners were forced by Leith, but all proved fruitless.

With the wind all in their favour, Aberdeen showed that the meant business. After five minutes' play Robertson got the possession of the ball in midfield, I and, though closely followed by two opponents, he succeeded in piloting the ball all by himself right to the goalmouth, pitting it in in such a fashion as two completely deceive Laing. Leith were surprisingly vigorous, but their attack was of the spasmodic description, and rendered completely ineffective by weak finishing. The visiting defence, moreover, stood up manfully to the inroads, and time and again sent to anxious whites to the right about. A foul cake granted against Henry Low a few yards beyond penalty led the homesters into close quarters, and Cameron equalised. Two wards the close roughness began to make itself apparent, but the referee kept a good grip of the game, and nothing shady went on noticed. Leith made desperate efforts to get on the lead, but the Aberdeen defence was unbeatable. The gate amounted to £30.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 20th March 1905

Leith Athletic Teamsheet
Laing; Thompson, McRae; Moffat, Armstrong, Gordon; Grant, Walker, Cameron, Noon, Dow
Attendance: 1,500
Venue: Logie Green Park, Leith
Referee: Mr. P. Hodge, Dunfermline
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen