Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Airdrie 2 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Airdrie 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Airdrie scorers: Thomson, Hunter

23/09/1905 | KO:

This fixture was played at Broomfield Park, Airdrie. With the win at their back the visitors were early on the hunt for Duncan, and McNicol was the first to have a try, but his shot was easily saved. The vigorous efforts of the northern team appeared to quite put Airdrie off their ordinary game for a time, but when the first fair opening appeared, it was smartly accepted, Thomson crowning O'Rorke's work with a fine goal. Before half-time Hunter netted the ball a second time. The result at half-time was two to none in favour of the Ardrieonians. The second half proved to be an uninteresting struggle. The defence on each side was too strong for the forwards, and the game was devoid of good forward play. Meantime McNicol had been compelled to go off with a twisted leg, and about that period Airdrie stormed MacFarlane's goal keenly, but only to bring out the fine defence of the Aberdonians. O'Rorke did again net the ball, but it was brought back for a previous foul. Towards the end Lennie put in two rare crosses, off one of which Edgar ought to have scored. Davidson had also to go off with a leg injury. To the end the struggle was even without any brilliancy, and the final result was:- Ardrieonians, two goals; Aberdeen, none.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th September 1905

Aberdeen travel to Airdrie on Saturday to meet the all-conquering Airdrieonians in a first division fixture. The weather was dull, and the pitch in good condition. Teams:- Airdrieonians: Duncan; Davidson, Rombash; Ferguson, McGran, Findlay; Currie, Thompson, O'Rorke, Tarbet, Hunter. Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Willox, gault; Halkett, Strang, Low; Robertson, Edgar, McNicol, Henderson, Lennie. Referee, Mr. R cook, Cambuslang.

Aberdeen won the toss, and started with a breeze behind them. The visitors played with dash, and surprised the Airdrie crowd. After 2 minutes play Edgar tried a shot, and Duncan had to look lively in clearing, at the expense of a corner, McNicol being ruled offside in his charge on the goalkeeper. For Airdrie, Thompson was first to make headway, but his cross was not caught up. Lennie and Henderson, who were well supplied with the ball, by tricky play strove hard to break through, but again offside brought Airdrie relief. Aberdeen were not easily got rid of, and Robertson sent across a ground try, which just missed. Unfortunately, just when Aberdeen were most vigorous in their attack, McNicol was injured, and had to be assisted to the pavilion. Thus handicapped, it was but to be expected that Airdrie would have the better of play, and Macfarlane just saved from Tarbet at the expense of a corner, which, however, Willox and Gault easily cleared. McNicol now appeared in time to see Low having a grand try, but Duncan was too wide awake, and smartly cleared. Airdrie had now settled down, and were showing better form. As a result of O'Rorke's splendid individual run, Thompson opened the score. With 5 minutes of the first half to go, Aberdeen made strenuous efforts to get the equaliser, but Ferguson, McGran, and Findlay were too quick at breaking up to allow the opposing forwards time to steady in front of goal. Hunter, lying off side, was allowed to go through and score, no attempt being made to save.

The opening stages of the second half were evenly contested, the forwards on both sides working hard, but failing to break down the resolute defence. In the open, McNicol on account of his injury being a passenger, Airdrie were slightly the superior, but their play was not so brainy as that of the Aberdonians. The Airdrie forwards were weak in front of goal, and with Willox and Gault lively and sure, Macfarlane got little to do. Tarbet missed an open goal, Willox clearing. A corner followed, but the ball was sent behind. The Aberdeen defence had their work cut out for them as the game proceeded, but they stood up to the attack successfully. Occasionally the Aberdeen forwards came away with a great dash, and Lennie had a brilliant run, from which Edgar should have scored. The Airdrie goal was severely assailed, and Aberdeen had bad luck in failing to score.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th September 1905

Airdrie Teamsheet
Duncan; Davidson, Rombach; Ferguson, McGran, Findlay; Currie, Thomson, O'Rorke, Tarbet, Hunter
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Broomfield Park, Airdrie
Referee: Mr. R. Cook, Cambuslang
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead