Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Heart of Midlothian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

HT Score: Heart of Midlothian 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Heart of Midlothian scorers: C. Thomson (pen)
Aberdeen scorers: McNicol (Pen).

28/10/1905 | KO:

These teams met at Tynecastle Park, Edinburgh, on Saturday, in wet weather, before about 8000 spectators. The home team started, and had an early run down, G. Wilson shooting past, but the game for a period turned wholly in favour of the visitors, whose neat and combined play kept the Hearts at their own end. C. Thomson baulked Lennie just in time, but shortly afterwards a penalty kick was awarded the Aberdeen team, who continued to press with great vigour. From the kick McNicol gave the northerners the lead. Spurred on by their early success, the Aberdeen men continued to play a strong forcing game, and several times Philip was called upon to save, McNicol, Edgar, and McAuley all having shots at goal. Eventually the Hearts were given an opening by Walker, who let Cooper away. The outside man outran the opposing backs, and shot across. Menzies, however, sent past. The game took a turn in favour of the Hearts, who had a long spell of attack on the visitors' goal, but try as they could they failed to score. MacFarlane saved time and time again, and the best efforts were a header from Walker, and a low, fast shot from G. Wilson. The Aberdeen defence played a splendid game, and resisted all the efforts of the Hearts until nearly the interval, when a penalty kick taken by C. Thomson gave the home team the equaliser, the interval score being one goal each. Aberdeen in the reopening were first prominent, and a free kick brought the groundsmen much needed relief. Both goals were visited in quick succession, but the finishing of the Hearts forwards, who all seemed under form, was weak by comparison with that of the northerners. As the half progressed then Hearts had much more of the game, and the visiting defence was hard put to it to keep their goal intact. Walker had a fine try, , in clearing which MacFarlane came in contact with G. Wilson and was injured, some delay being caused. Towards the end the home eleven tried hard for the winning goal, and Walker and G. Wilson came near the achievement, but the Aberdeen defence held out. There was no further scoring and the result remained as at half-time. Result: One goal each.

Source: The Scotsman 30-10-1905

Aberdeen paid their first visit to Edinburgh under First Division League, their opponents being the Hearts at Tynecastle. The attendance numbered about 3000. Teams:-
Hearts: Philip; Bain, Thompson; McLaren, Thompson, Dixon; Cooper, Walker, Menzies, D. Wilson, G. Wilson.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, gault; Halkett, Strang, Low; Robertson, Edgar, McNicol, McAulay, Lennie.
Referee - Mister J. McCorkindale, Dalmuir.

Hearts kicked off, and G. Wilson got away on the left, but his parting shot went wide. Following this, Aberdeen were aggressive. After Charlie Thompson had put in some grand defensive work, McNicol sent in a hot shot, which Philip saved. The Hearts at this stage were being so sorely pressed that, following a free kick close in, one of the players gave away a penalty, from which McNicol opened the scoring for Aberdeen. The Hearts made strenuous efforts to dislodge their opponents, but to no purpose. A free kick gave the Hearts relief, and when they got close in the home forwards could do nothing right, Boyle and Halkett being always on the spot. Aberdeen continued to give a splendid exhibition of footwork, and completely upset the Hearts' calculations. For fouling Menzies within the line the Hearts were awarded a penalty, from which Thompson equalised. Aberdeen then pressed.

Restarting, Aberdeen assumed the aggressive, and it was through a free kick that the Hearts got away, only to find the Aberdeen defence a stumbling block. After Macfarlane had saved splendidly, Aberdeen took up the running, but the ball was sent past. Aberdeen, still playing good football, worried the Hearts' defence to some tune, but their final efforts were always made from too long range. On the other hand, the Hearts' forwards got plenty of the ball, but Aberdeen's able defence prevailed on every occasion.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 30th October 1905

N.B. The Aberdeen Daily Journal reported the crowd as being 3000 but this is unlikely and was probably a typo. The Scotsman's figure is used.
Heart of Midlothian Teamsheet
Philip; Bain, Thomson; McLaren, C. Thomson, Dickson; Cooper, Walker, Menzies, D. Wilson, G. Wilson
Attendance: 8,000
Venue: Tynecastle, Edinburgh
Referee: Mr. J. McCorkindale, Dalmuir
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead