Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Queens Park 3 - 0 Aberdeen

HT Score: Queens Park 2 - 0 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Queens Park scorers: Thomas, Davidson, Davidson

20/01/1906 | KO:

Three Goals Down.

A capital game was played by these teams at Hampden, Glasgow, on Saturday. The Queen's were first in evidence, and three minutes after the start good work by Davidson and Thomas resulted in the latter scoring. Davidson added a second goal a little later. The ground was treacherous and the play fast and, with a stiff breeze against them, Aberdeen were showing up well, but they could not reduce the Queen's lead of two goals before the interval. The second portion was as strenuously fought as the first, but again Aberdeen, though having their full share of the play, failed to find the net, while Hope got the ball through a few minutes before the call of time. It was a rousing game all through, and though the home team deserved to win, the score does not do credit to their opponents' share of the game. Result:- Queen's Park, three goals; Aberdeen, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 1906-01-22

To begin with, worse weather could hardly have been experienced than that which greeted us on our appearance in St. Mungo, at New Hampden Park, on Saturday. Sleet, rain, and a strong wind blowing put aside any expectation of a good game, while the quarters provided for the pressmen Were far from inviting, Ensconced on the stand, where we had a splendid view, all hope of seeing our boys do well was soon exploded when the spin of the coin went in favour of the Amateurs.
Trouble began at once. "Rab" wildly gesticulated for offside, but a goal was scored three or four minutes from the start. There might have been a semblance of infringement on the part of the outside right, but nothing to warrant the non-stopping of the ball in its flight towards goal. Swinging the ball from wing to wing, and never attempting anything like fine passing, the Queen's gave Aberdeen's defence very little rest. In the open the "Wasps" put in some very fine passing, Mackie distributing the ball equally to his wings, but the finishing was generally met with some of the Queen's in the way. It was apparent to all that Aberdeen were keeping the ball too close on such a heavy pitch, their fine work thus going for naught. the strong wind the Amateurs came away with some fine' rushes - just the sort of thing for the weather - and only cool back play prevented the score from mounting. Another goal, the best of the match, was scored before crossing over, Aberdeen being two down before the whistle called a halt for a breather.

There was a want of combination at goal-mouth in Aberdeen's front line on the restart, or a goal should have been scored, and, battle as they liked, there was not a goal in the five. Pumped out with the hard work of the first half, soaked with rain, and cold with sleet, there was very little life left in the team, for they could not score when they had the chance. The Amateurs got another goal before the close, and several more scrambles to save by the visitors left us three goals down in the 90 minutes.

The Attack Failure.

Last week I remarked that the defence were to blame for giving a point to Motherwell. On Saturday the attack were at fault in allowing themselves to be worsted when in splendid positions to save. They hung too long on the ball, and persisted in close dribbling, when it would not travel, so that the Queens defence pounced on them every time. The halves and backs did well in keeping down the score, and the only mistake "Rab" made was in the first goal. It is not nice to have to chronicle these facts week after week, and to me there appears to be something wrong with the team, individually, that requires looking after, otherwise the management may "get left." What the precise fault is I do not profess to know, but it should be remedied now, or good-bye to Aberdeen's fair refutation as a football playing team.

Chatty Bits.

New Hampden is free from being so complete in up-to-date facilities as the other grounds in Glasgow.
These will come in due course, but the want is a drawback meantime to visiting teams.
Mackie shaped well in the centre, but requires to know the moves of his wing men.
Several times he had hard luck in not getting through, and on hard ground we fancy he would have been there.
The ground was too heavy for McAuley's fine work, and he lay too far hack to support Lennie's crosses.
It was just a day to suit "Wilfie" Low, and he would have bееn in his glory ploughing through with the ball.
Finding that the forwards could not get on the target, they had to make a try themselves, and were successful too.
Out of the five goals, Davidson, had 2 and Robertson 1.
Of the forwards Ward was the pick of the lot. He put in some fine work both at outside and inside positions.
Smith was not nearly so good as we have seen him. He seemed to fag before the game was done.
I am afraid he requires more training to keep him up to the Northern League hard work.
St. Johnstone was severely handicapped by Turner getting injured. He is a valuable man at close quarters.
The Saints had a splendid opportunity of gaining the points, but threw it away.
On the right they were exceptionally strong, and got in some good runs.
The game was remarkably free from any roughness, Mr. Davidson keeping the players well in hand.
The gate drawings and stands amount to over £30.
Tait, who has kept goal for the A team, since the New Year, went on trial to Partick Thistle on Saturday.
He was inclined to stay in Aberdeen, but the Pittodrie people could not guarantee him a place once Frank, Barret was fit.
It is stated that Frank will be able to play this week, if required.
At time of going to press the A team were without a fixture, though every endeavour was being made to get one.
At the start'of this season, Herd was looked, on as the coming custodian for Pittodrie. He has completely belied his first impressions.
Wilton is another player who is not playing so well as he did. Hе was giving Brebner the lion share of work on Saturday. In the second half, however, he played a much improved game.
it is to be hoped the A's will get a fixture for tomorrow, as it will never do to let them lie idle.

Source: Bon-Accord, 26th January 1906

In miserable weather Aberdeen faced Queen's Park at Hampden Park, Glasgow, in a return league fixture. When the teams met at Aberdeen earlier in the season the points were divided. There were only about 3000 spectators when the teams lined up as follows:-
Queen's Park: W. G. Grieve; J. Thomson, A. Richmond; M. B. Houston, J. Dick, A. H. Nisbet; W. Davidson, A. Thomas, J. Hope, J. McLean, H. McD. Paul.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, Low; Robertson, Edgar, Mackie, McAulay, Lennie.
Referee - Mr. D. Riddell, Edinburgh.

In a downpour of rain and against a highly wind Aberdeen kicked off, and, after an attack on both ends, the Queen's succeeded in opening the scoring, the result of a find that of play. Davidson and Thomas, assisted by Hope, carried the ball within distance of Macfarlane, Davidson passed it to Thomas, and that player, with a good shot, landed the ball in the net, the Aberdeen custodian having little chance to save. Thus early the game gave every promise of being a lively one, notwithstanding the inclement conditions. The strong wind favoured the Queen's, and another try at the Aberdeen goal was smartly averted by the Aberdeen defence. A bad mistake by Thompson, the Queen's right back, gave Lennie arrears chance, which he took advantage off to the extent of causing Grieve some on easiness in goal. Ere he had time to score, Thompson recovered his mistake by stepping in and clearing effectively. A second goal came the way of the Queen's, Davidson beating Macfarlane with what appeared to be a somewhat soft shot as the result of a spirited attack by the home forwards. Though two goals down, the Aberdeen were playing a strong game. Strongly supported by their half-backs, the first line of the northern team were conspicuous by several raids on the home custodian, who saved in an able manner. Lennie, who was particularly prominent for his side, sent in a shot which Grieve no more than saved. Then the Queen's once more tried conclusions with Macfarlane as the result of a corner. The cake was followed by the Aberdeen goal being surrounded. Dickie skate luckily, however. The Queen's were very effective in front of goal, favoured considerably by the wind, which militated against the visiting front line, which was very fine in finishing.

On ground badly cut up, the Queen's set the ball agoing for the second half by narrowly missing a third goal, Mclean getting within distance of Macfarlane. He was tackled on the point of shooting. A fruitless corner resulted. It was thought that change of ends would improve the position of the visitors in being assisted by the wind, but it was not so during the first ten minutes, the Queen's fairly besieging the Aberdeen goal, without, however, securing any further points. As the game advanced the Aberdonians settled down, and the play became much more effective. Still, there was a weakness at goal, which made many clever runs abortive so far as scoring was concerned. Near the call of time the Queen's succeeded in scoring a third goal.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 22nd January 1906

Queens Park Teamsheet
W. G. Grieve; J. Thomson, A. Richmond; M. B. Houston, J. Dick, A. H. Nisbet; W. Davidson, A. Thomas, J. Hope, J. McLean, H. McD. Paul
Attendance: 3,000
Venue: Hampden Park, Glasgow
Referee: Mr. D Riddell, Edinburgh
Next Match
Heart of Midlothian
09 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen