Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Morton 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Morton 1 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Morton scorers: Walker (pen), Reid
Aberdeen scorers: Strang (Pen), Low.

03/02/1906 | KO:

Feeble Forwards.

At Cappielow, Greenock, before some 4000 spectators. Aberdeen were early attacking, and first corner fell to them. Morton, in a twinkling, were swarming round the visitors' goal, and but for a capital display of goalkeeping by MacFarlane their efforts would have brought success. Morton were the more aggressive lot, the visitors' defence being well tested. Ultimately, Walker managed to elude the visitors' goalkeeper. A penalty to Aberdeen followed shortly afterwards, from which the score was equalised. At half-time, each side had scored a goal. Shortly after resuming Reid placed Morton ahead with an easy shot. The game continued to be fought out on even lines, and again the visitors secured the equalising goal. Result: Morton, two goals; Aberdeen, two goals.

Source: Unknown, possibly The Scotsman, 1906-02-05

Leaving the cold stormy north on Saturday morning, we arrived at Greenock in fine trim for the game, where the weather was ideal for football. Cappielaw was in good order, and there was also a good attendance when the play started. Macfarlane won the toss, and this gave the Aberdonians the slight wind behind them. In outfield play the "Wasps' had the better of the argument, Lennie making rings round Hutchison, the latter having to get assistance to keep the left-winger from closing in. Aberdeen ought to have scored at this time, but several bad misses were made by the inside men. McAulay was playing as fine football as ever he played, Jimmie Robertson getting the hall to his heart's content, without making the best possible use of it.

It must not be assumed that Morton were idle all this time; by no means. Johnnie Walker, the ex-Ranger,gave Macfarlane one or two of his own oblique shots to hold, and in one of their incursions Tom Strang, in attempting to head the ball wit, outstretched arms was penalised by the Referee, to the full extent, Walker netting from the penalty. The decision came as a surprise to everyone, and may have been the rule, but the offence did not deserve the punishment. However, it did not take the same Tom Strang long to equalise matters, when he drove, the ball through the net with a shot worth going to see for itself. Till half-time came Aberdeen were going at it for all they were worth to get on the lead, and in their excitement they missed a lot of chances.

Without refreshing, the teams went away again, and still, Aberdeen's feeble shooting gave Robertson ample time to clear. Grieve scored a good goal from the rebound of Macfarlane, and Edgar ought to have squared matters from the kick-off, but stuck too long to the ball. Shortly after Henry here settled the matter by beating Robertson with a long shot, and the game was again square. To the finish Aberdeen did most of the passing, and ought to have won, but didn't. I don't fancy their chances against Rangers with such a lot of forwards. Though this game ended all square at two goals each, the visiting side easily had the honours with regard to pretty play, but their shooting was far too weak to carry them through.

Chatty Bits.

Given a good day, Pittodrie will be packed as it never has been before to-morrow.
Specials run from Glasgow, Edinburgh, and Dundee, in the south, while the G.N.S.R. will bring-their quota from Elgin, Buckie, Keith, Peterhead, and Fraserburgh in the north.
The Rangers will arrive to-night, and have a look round the sights tomorrow forenoon before they go to Pittodrie.
Aberdeen A are delighted that their fixture with Lochee is off. They have been itching to see the Rangers Tie.
Who could blame them for desiring to see a great game once in a season, when we learn that all the other local Cup Ties are off?
Aberdeen players are undergoing the preparation as last year for the Tie, Culter being the rendezvous for the last few days.
A ripping game at Cappielaw should have been a win for Aberdeen by 2-1.
The Greenock officials were well pleased at the result, and so they might. They had luck on their side with that penalty.
The halves grew tired watching the forwards' lameness in shooting, and went for goal themselves.
Tom Strang scored his second goal for the season. He will have to be promoted to the first line.
In view of the halves' scoring propensities, I would suggest that the front line be set to the following - Robertson, McAulay, Strang, H. Low, and Lennie.
McAulay and Robertson were a great wing on Saturday. The outside man was always kept on the move, and the change on this side was creditable.
The same cannot be said of the left wing - Edgar was inclined to hang too long on the ball.
"Rab" had a great reception from his kinsmen, who turned out like one man to see him. They gave him plenty of encourage¬ment.
And he deserved all he got in the way of plaudits from the crowd, for he stopped several 'what ones.? "Good old Greenock!"
If ever there was a man confident of winning against the Rangers in the Tie to-morrow, that man is Rab Macfarlane.
Blizzard and all thrown in, the "gate" off Saturday at Pittodrie came to £24.
The only test which Duncan McNicol had to stand on Saturday was the weather, and he came through it with flying colours.
A hearty cheer went цр on Duncan taking charge of the team. He lost the toss, though, and won the match, which was better.
As far as play was concerned, Duncan got very little to do, but what he did get, he put to the best advantage.
If he had once a proper chance of testing his weak knee, he would soon be in the first team again.
"Pim" Henderson made a good shape at outside left, He acquits himself much better in that capacity than as an inside man
Ward and Hamilton were also in the best of form, and for effect were above the others.
Aberdeen A go up to third place on the League table, and if they play as they can should reach the top.
Hearts are anxious to play an Eastern League game at Pittodrie, oh March 3. This is the date of the Aberdeenshire final.
It would be at pity if the date has to be sacrificed, as they wish to get the tie off.
The Great North of Scotland Railway Company is alive to the interest taken in the Cup Tie at Pittodrie. Arrangements have been made for a special train from Elgin, calling at the principal towns en route.
Another special will be run from Fraserburgh and Peterhead. Full particulars will be found in our advertisement columns.

Source: Bon-Accord, 9th February 1906

Aberdeen travelled to Greenock on Saturday and played their return league match with Greenock Morton. There were 4000 spectators. The teams were:-
Morton: Robertson; Stewart, Thomson; Hutchison, Eadie, McIntosh; McArthur, Dart, Grieve, Reid, Walker.
One Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, H low; Robertson, McAulay, Mackie, Edgar, Lennie.
To referee - Mister T. Robertson, Glasgow.

Greenock started in bright, frosty weather. The visitors were fairly aggressive, and obtained a corner, without further result. Morton then attacked strongly, but Macfarlane saved. Aberdeen dashed in, and Edgar looked dangerous, but hung too long on the ball, and was dispossessed. Play in the open followed, and then Walker initiated a raid on the visitors' lines, where some stirring scenes were witnessed. Macfarlane, when apparently beaten, saved at imminent risk to his limbs. Grieve then headed against the crossbar, and McIntosh wound up a warm five minutes by shooting over. The Aberdeen forwards, by fine footwork, carried play to the other end, where Lennie had a grand try. Continuing to display excellent form, the Aberdonians greatly troubled the home defence, and Mackie ought to have scored. He received a square pass from Lennie a yard from the goal, But skied the ball over the bar. Morton afterwards pressed, and Walker scored from a penalty kick. Strang equalized with a grand shot.

Aberdeen who had now to face a strong breeze, restarted with vigour, and Robertson had twice to save good tries. Morton forwards came away in a body, I and, after Macfarlane had cleared cleverly from Grieve, read easily netted. The home team continued aggressive, and Arthur and Grieve made fine efforts to increase the score. The visitors romped away to the other end, and continued to keep play a round Robertson's charge, and from a long shot by Strang the Morton goalkeeper brought off a splendid save. Morton broke away, but Arthur's shot for goal lacked sting, and Macfarlane easily cleared. The visitors were exhibiting good form, but their efforts at goal were poor. Morton had now a turn at pressing, but there finishing also was weak.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 5th February 1906

Morton Teamsheet
Robertson; Stewart, Thomson; Hutchison, Eadie, McIntosh; McArthur, Dart, Grieve, Reid, Walker.
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Cappielow Park, Greenock
Referee: Mr T. Robertson, Glasgow
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh