Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 3 Rangers

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 1 Rangers

Scottish Cup Second Round
Aberdeen scorers: Mackie, Mackie.
Rangers scorers: Dalrymple, Dalrymple, Hamilton

10/02/1906 | KO:

A Cool Head Wanted.

After the worries and excitement in getting into Pittodrie on Saturday (for it was a struggle when I went down), my feelings over Saturdays game may be summed up thus - Aberdeen lost through not having a cool, level-headed chap near goal mouth when the chance came. But I digress. On reaching Pittodrie my usual corner was occupied, and I had to be content with a lean over the palings in front of the pavilion. The subject of conversation was whether it was going to be a cup tie or friendly, the majority round me declaring the ground was unfit for the former, but, on enquiry, I was told by Mr. Philip that the official inspector had passed the grounds as playable, and a cup tie it would be. The directors made no bones about having the pitch cleared, which was done very expeditiously, though pools of water were being swept away up till the time of starting.

Prompt to time Mr. Mason, Burslem, examined the lies and goal nets, then threw up the coin, which settled the choice of ends, the first bit of luck going to Rangers. The start was a bit farcical, as several of the players left their impressions in the mud, which evoked the merriment of the Govanites near the east goal. After the gingerly passing had ceased, my first note is taken by Tom Strang who nipped the ball from Hamilton and planted it out .to Lennie. The latter had a great try for goal. Gradually the pace became fast, and I could fancy anything might happen any moment. Halket let Smith slip away, and from his cross Macfarlane made a flying leap, as if he had wings, missed the ball, and Dalrymple netted. There was no lying down after this, the ball being swung from wing to wing, the halves intercepting good footwork. As a reward for a real bit of tricky work Lennie got in his cross beautifully, and Mackie, thirty minutes from the start, headed past Sinclair. Only a few minutes elapsed when the centre gave his side the lead by 2-1.

How often Aberdeen failed to score in the second half, I question if anybody took particular note, but this I do know, that they had two pal[able chances of putting the ball through. Dalrymple put Rangers on the lead, but Boyle should have stopped this little game, and then Hamilton tapped the best goal of the game past Rab, and it was practically all over. In all fairness, however, to both sides, I think a draw would have been the true reflex of the game.

Points, Facts, and Fancies

My first point is, that the protest lodged, I understand, on the grounds of a professional irregularity by Paddy Boyle, had a depressing effect on the Aberdeen. They fell away for a time in the second half, and came again at the finish; secondly, the ground was dead against the light men, who had more work to do to keep the ball travelling; and lastly, Aberdeen should have made more goals in the first half.
Last week I predicted the forwards would lose, the game, and they did. The halves were all good, but the pick was Tom Strang. Gault was the best back on the field, bar none. There was little to choose between the goalkeepers. Stark was the best half on the Rangers' side, and the best forward was Alick Smith. Both the backs were plucky, and are the weakest part of Rangers' side. I fancy that if McNicol, on the heavy ground, had substituted Edgar for the day the outcome would have been secure for the Home side.


Mr. Mason deserves a short par. all to himself, for his work on the field was correct and without ostentation. We have too many officials of the fussy order, and the spectators not only agreed but relished, the way he handled both the play and players. He was fair to both sides, and his decisions were never disputed. This is quite a change to what we so often see at Pittodrie and elsewhere. The idea of having an English referee commended itself to everyone present.

Chatty Bits

Aberdeen has bidden adieu to the Scottish Cup for another season - a round earlier than last.
An Aberdeen official told me on Saturday that the snowstorm meant a loss of £150 to the club.
All things considered, £304 was very good on such a day.
It will have cost the Aberdeen club a bit of money to have the grounds cleared.
The crowd would have been a small one but for the enthusiast who came from the south and the north.
Glasgow was well represented by several of the leading lights, but there were only one or two of the "selecters" present.
The only lack of accommodation at Pittodrie seemed to be in stands. I heard many complaints as to this.
There was a worried look on the faces of Directors Wylie, Mackay, Duncan, Philip, and Jaffrey, till they saw the grounds cleared.
The Treasurer was the only one who smiled at the finish. He had a good fat gate to take charge of.
At the finish I saw several of the Aberdeen players, and they were disappointed at the result. They were all convinced that they should have had a penalty against Campbell.
Mr. Mason does not believe in giving penalties unless he thinks they are really deserving of the full punishment.
Aberdonians were really happy with themselves at half time. The "boys" played well in the first half.
Every man was a trier. To my mind McAulay was the best forward, but his partner was lacking again in finish.
Alick Smith is as good as ever, and it was he who deserved the credit of two of the goals, though he did not actually score them.
We have heard it said over and over again in Glasgow that Bob Hamilton was done for good. On Saturday's play I did not think so.
Bob got in that winning goal fromt an awkward pass, but he made sure that Macfarlane would not get at it.
The drawings show that some 10,000 paid for admission while season ticket-holders, press and other officials would bring the total up to about 12,000.
Several congratulatory telegrams were sent to the Aberdeen boys on Saturday wishing them success in their tie.
After Saturday's experience, the Aberdeen directors should set about to find out what would be the best front line to serve' them throughout the remainder of the season. More weight is wanted in the forward rank - on heavy ground it tells greatly on the light weights and takes more out of them than an ordinary day.
They have plenty of reserves to work on, and they ought not to be afraid of it.
Three draws in the Scottish ties have to be finished to-morrow, and I fancy there will be some brave finishes. Third Lanark go to Hamilton, Kilmarnock to Port Glasgow, and the Hibs have a stiff journey at Meadowside.
There are many versions as to the grounds of the. protest lodged by the Ranges From what I can gather it was alleged that Boyle played in a benefit match for some works team while a signed professional for Port Glasgow.
Had this been known in time. I don't suppose Aberdeen would have played him unless they had good grounds for so doing.

Source: Bon-Accord, 16th February 1906

This tie was played at Pittodrie on a sloppy pitch, where the going was heavy from start to finish. Winning the toss, the Rangers played towards the east goal, and after ten minutes' play, from a cross by A. Smith, Dalrymple scored. Aberdeen took up the running after this, and pinned the visitors to their end of the field, Mackie scoring twice before half-time. The Rangers had most of the play in the second period, and Kyle and Hamilton scored, though Aberdeen should have drawn level once or twice from passes that were badly judged. The last five minutes saw Aberdeen pressing so hard that the Rangers had to resort to kicking out to save themselves. A very hard and even game resulted:- Rangers, three goals, Aberdeen, two. The gate amounted to £304.

Source: The Scotsman, 1906-02-23

After much anxiety and close attention to the weather conditions during the latter days of the week, the much talked of game at Pittodrie between Aberdeen and Rangers has been decided, and the locals have made their exit from the national competition, not ingloriously, but fighting to the death. The hours preceding the match were certainly trying ones for the enthusiastic followers of both combinations, and when the four set in on Saturday morning grave doubts were expressed on all hands that the extensive preparations would prove a futile. But Pittodrie official's, by dint of assiduous attention to the playing pitch, however, succeeded in combating the opposition of the elements, and although the arena did not present an attractive appearance when the crowd assembled, it was evident that the game would be robbed of none of the excitement that was expected to attend a meeting between two such clubs as had been drawn to contest the honours. The local devotees of the sport were not slow in turning out, but the southern dialect was also very much in evidence, and cries for "the Rangers" were even louder than the shards of the home crowd. From two o'clock one till the start of the game there was a constant stream of humanity from the station to the park, and when the teams turned out it is calculated that there would be an assemblage of over 12,000 spectators, 11,023 being registered at the turnstiles. The Rangers were the first to put in an appearance, I and, needless to say, they were received with a tremendous ovation from the southern section of the spectatorate, which was RE echoed a second later, with even greater force, when the black and gold stripes were seen to issue from the pavilion. Mr. Mason, who had charge of the game, lost no time in ranging the teams up in the following order:-
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, gault; Halkett, Strang, H low; Robertson, McAulay, Mackie, Edgar, Lennie.
Rangers:Sinclair, Campbell, Craig; Gray, Stark, May; Spiers, Dalrymple, Hamilton, Kyle, Smith.

The first 5 minutes so the sphere continually hovering in the strangers' ground. Lennie and Edgar looked like business, but the defence scrambled through, although they did not succeed in preventing the Aberdeen left wingers from footing in some dangerous work. McAulay and Robertson early showed signs of being a well-mated pair, and a cross from the outside winger lead up to an exciting moment in front of Sinclair's charge. McAulay got the chance, and drove straight for the haven, but Sinclair fisted high over the bar. A cornered tick was judiciously placed, but the "Blues" bunched in front of the citadel and turned the sphere up to wards Macfarlane. Not for long, however, for Lennie was soon on the run, and a well judged pass from his foot forced another corner. The slippery ground called fearfully on the players, and the half of the players had picked up mud before the charge was placed in safety, the leather going behind. Occasional runs were made to Macfarlane's end, but their defensive work by the backs kept the blue invaders at a safe distance. The center portion of the local combination opened out well to their wings, and their faith in the outside men was not misplaced, for Lennie and Robertson picked up the long passes with fine accuracy, and generally finished by giving the Rangers' backs a deal of trouble. Henry Low had a try on his own, but there was little sting in the shot when Sinclair picked up and cleared. McAulay also had a try, and Mackie, in rushing up to make sure, had an aggressive argument with the custodian, which necessitated the interference of the referee. The pressure was certainly being sustained by the locals in surprising fashion, and their work was assuredly deserving of success, but it was not to be, and the strangers were destined to draw first blood. This came from a corner given away by Boyle, and the kick being nicely placed by Smith. Dalrymple caught the sphere neatly with his head and piloted it home. Naturally, hard play ensued, and Lennie and Robertson were prominent for vigorous attacks, but their centres were not taken full advantage of by Mackie. The venue was suddenly changed, and Macfarlane had to lay himself out on a muddy couch in order to intercept a stiff shot from the right. Repeated fouls were given against the "Blues," mainly for discrepancies by the back division, but these led to naught, and for a spell the home lot had to exert themselves chiefly in keeping their lines clear. Dalrymple and Spiers, on the Rangers' right wing, were doing the bulk of the pressing for the Glasgow side, and they were well Clyde with the leather from the centre, although in Gault they had an almost insurmountable barrier to overcome. A fine run up by Robertson, with the whole pack at his heels, ended in a Lennie getting a glorious chance directly in front of goal, and everyone looked for the equalizing point. The little winger bungled sadly, however, and exclamations of dismay and disgust were rife when the sphere glided off Lennie's foot and skimmed widely behind. Half a minute later a corner fell to Aberdeen, to undertake in lead to a stiff bombardment of Sinclair's charge, the first attempts being only partially cleared by the defence. Something was bound to give, and it proved to be the opposition, for Mackie got the ball at his foot and slipped it into the net, while Sinclair was yet engaged at the opposite upright. On an equity once more, the struggle developed into a determined trial of skill, in which McAulay did not fail to shine with clever, evasive manipulation of the leather on a particularly greasy pitch. The inside right did not show any undue weakness in dilly-dallying, both which he is sometimes accused, but parted judiciously and accurately to right and left. It was at this stage that the comparative weakness of the Rangers' back division were shown up more than at any other period of the game, and for a spell Sinclair had the whole of the work to do. Lennie and Edgar executed some nice passing on the left, under maneuvering led to the leading point being scored by Mackie close in, though it is doubtful if the pivot would have succeeded had the custodian not lost his footing in the mud. The Aberdeen forwards continued to bustle about in front of Sinclair, and Mackie almost got the better of the opposition keeper again, rushing in and leveling him with the sphere in his grasp. This was practically the end of the siege, the blue forwards getting their monopoly and spanking up the field to Macfarlane's end of the hot pace, and keeping boil and gault hard at work returning pot shots until the interval was sounded.

A to talk to PROTEST

Before starting the second period, Hamilton intimated to the referee that the Rangers would protest against Boyle's inclusion in the Aberdeen team owing to an alleged irregularity on Boyle's part one during the close season.


After a ten minutes rest the teams turned out for the final tussle, looking rather the worse for wear, but when the sphere was set on the move again it was apparent that there was plenty of "go" left in both elevens. The first excitement of the second period was raised by Lennie, who tried his sprinting powers against those of Campbell, and it was only by harassing the little man that the Glasgow back succeeded in regaining possession. For a time Aberdeen maintained the pressure, but the Govan half-back line kept the ball well up to their forwards, and soon the homesters were defending to their utmost. Strang was, as usual, prominent as a bustling player, but all his efforts to keep the ball ahead were frustrated by the nimble movements of the opposition attack, who pestered Boyle and Gault with their close in attentions. Gault was easily the safer of the payer, but Boyle had perhaps a more difficult wing to cope with in the Kyle and Smith, who, although they did not come conspicuously before the notice of the onlookers, put in a lot of effective work, which opened up the game for their confreres at the other side of the field. The Rangers were beginning to assume the superior position, and Macfarlane had a warm time of it, but he sustained his charge with unusual dash and vigour. Hamilton, in the centre, had not hitherto shown up very well, but at this stage he seemed to find his legs, and very soon his work became apparent. A cross from the left was caught up by the centre, and he waltzed round Boyle in a pretty fashion, one finishing with a shot which showed the upright. Try as they could, the Aberdeen men found it impossible to resist the pressure, and a pass from the left wing was cleverly caught by Dalrymple, who brought the leather down with his head to the necessary elevation, and jack tipped into the net. With almost half an hour to go, and the teams on an equality, the game was quite open, but Aberdeen showed signs of inferior training, and the Rangers' forwards kept begging away with even more vigour, being plied with opportunities from the half-back division. Lennie and Robertson, on the wings, were the only pair who one were able to penetrate the opposition, but the Govan defenders played strongly and kicked well into Aberdeen territory on every occasion. The Rangers' right wing game careering down the field, and Macfarlane had a long spell of grubbing in the mud, but he managed to keep up his end for a time, but disaster was ultimately brought about by Hamilton, who netted from close in, and gave the strangers the lead. Hamilton looked like penetrating once more, and only the combined tackling of the backs saved the situation. The remainder of the game was a keen and determined contest, in which some pretty football was shown on both sides, but, in all fairness, it must be said at the Rangers' deserved to win.


The "gate" amounted to £252 19s 9d, with £51 6s 10d drawn at the stands, making a total of £304 6s 7d.
But it may be mentioned that the record gate at Pittodrie was drawn last year, when Aberdeen met queen's park in the first round of the Scottish cup competition a mounting £348.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 12th February 1906

Rangers Teamsheet
Sinclair, Campbell, Craig; Gray, Stark, May; Spiers, Dalrymple, Hamilton, Kyle, Smith
Attendance: 11,023
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Mason, Burslem
Next Match
Queen of the South
13 Jul 2024 / 17:15 / Palmerston Park, Dumfries