Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 0 Airdrie

Div 1 (Old)

22/09/1906 | KO:

There were between 4000 and 5000 spectators at Pittodrie, Aberdeen, at this game. The home team commenced in promising fashion, and kept the Airdrieonians defence busy, but no scoring accrued. It was the visitors' turn in the second period, and the Airdrieonians had many likely turns put aside. A capital game full of interest ended without scoring.

Source: The Scotsman 24-09-1906

The Airdrie football team visited Aberdeen on Saturday, when they met the local team on Pittodrie Park in a First League match. There were about 6000 spectators present. The teams were:-
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Urquhart, Boyle; Halkett, Strang, H. Low; McWhinnie, Haxton, Lawrie, Edgar, Lennie.
Airdrieonians: Duncan; Davidson, Romeback; Ferguson, McGran, Findlay; Gildea, Thompson, O'Rorke, Graham, Dargue.
Referee - Mr. Faichnie, Falkirk.

Airdrie winning the toss decided to make the locals face the sun. The first few minutes so the ball continually in Aberdeen ground. Gildea and Thomson got away on the right and looked like business, but Boyle relieved with a hard punt to the other end. Edgar and Lennie showed that they were well matched payer. They got round the visiting halves in fine style, and Lennie passed to the centre. Lawrie it was in his place, but he was successfully tackled by Davidson. The ball was again returned, and Duncan had to fist out. Lawrie, Aberdeen's new centre, was doing fairly well, and forced Davidson to give away a corner. Although the kick was well placed by McWhinnie, the visitors' defence prevailed, and Romback sent the ball east. Aberdeen returned to the attack with renewed vigour. H. Low and Halkett were working very hard. They kept the forwards going splendidly, and from a neat pass from Low, McWhinnie forced another corner for Aberdeen. McWhinnie placed the ball under the bar, and it looked as if Aberdeen were to score. Duncan rushed across his goal, and just managed to fist the ball away, before he was sent into the net by one of the Aberdeen forwards. Not for long, however, were Aberdeen allowed to press. Airdrie's right pair, as the result of a long kick by Romback, secured the ball and rushed down the field. The local halves were left behind. Boyle rushed across, but he was too late. Gildea passed the ball to the left, Dargue secured it and was making two wards Macfarlane when Urquhart neatly robbed him and passed to Lennie. This player, assisted by Edgar, took the ball almost up to the corner flag, one and passed to the centre. Lawrie was waiting for it, but before he got in his kick the visiting backs were on him, and the ball was again sent east. Henry Low gave ample evidence that he is of more service to his team are left half than a centre-forward. He played a very good game so far, and was seldom beat. The local half-back line was going exceedingly well. Haxton and McWhinnie were not working well together. McWhinnie could not get round his opponents, try as hard as he could, while he very often failed to pick up the passes. Airdrie's got away as the result of another long kick by Davidson. O'Rorke was lying well ahead. He sees the ball, and was off like a deer, with Urquhart in full pursuit. The centre-forward had a clear field before him. It appeared as if a goal would follow, but thanks to Urquhart, O'Rorke was not allowed to steady himself, and the ball was sent widely past. Long kicking by the backs, and fast following-up by the forwards, was the style of the Airdrie's play. Their right wing made ground very fast, but Boyle was in his best form, and defied all efforts to get past him. If the forwards would not part with the ball, Boyle as a rule parted the player from the ball. Edgar and Lennie were again prominent. They had another good run, but only a corner resulted. Duncan saved his side repeatedly. A great shot by Haxton was neatly sent over the bar. Play was very fast. It swung from end to end exceedingly fast, but as a rule the backs were equal to all demands made upon them. Both teams secured corners and many fouls, but goals could not be got. The shooting of the forwards when near goal was not up to the mark. Taken all over, Aberdeen had the best of matters up to half-time.

On resuming, the Airdrie forwards rushed off in a body to wards Macfarlane. O'Rorke led the van in capital style. He outwitted Strang, and shot hard and fast for goal. Macfarlane, however, was not to be caught napping. He sprang at the ball, and getting a firm hold of it kicked well out. It was immediately returned, but Boyle relieved. H. Low, like Halkett, was always prominent. His tackling and passing left nothing to be desired. He repeatedly let the forwards off. Lennie had a great run. Securing the ball beyond midfield, he made off for the corner flag, which he reached after dancing around several opponents. The ball was sent across the visitors' goal like a flash, but Haxton, who was standing in a good position, allowed it to go past him. Shortly after Haxton again failed to accept a neat pass from Lennie. Airdrie were now are doing most of the pressing, and the local backs frequently missed it kicks, Urquhart being the chief sinner in this respect, but, as a rule, he recovered rapidly. H. Low and Halkett occasionally had to fall back and assist the backs. Airdrie's right wing careered along the field. Boyle was left behind; Airdrie's centre shot hard, but Macfarlane saved grandly. McWhinnie and Haxton were a spent force, and could do nothing right. Lennie and Edgar transfer to play to the other end. Shots from Haxton and Lawrie were stopped on the goal line by Duncan. It appeared as if Aberdeen were to secure a goal, and Duncan had a lively five minutes. The ball was headed in again and again, but the keeper fisted out as often as the ball was sent in. H. Low was keeping a firm hold on his opponents. Aberdeen's backs fell away considerably, I and, when Boyle missed, disaster seemed inevitable. O'Rorke and H. Low had a race for the sphere, but Low got there first, and danger was averted. In the last 15 minutes of the game and rework the better team, the fast pace telling on the Aberdeen players. Macfarlane had to save his charge repeatedly. Play was now are continually in Aberdeen's territory, but Boyle and Urquhart seemed at last to have found their feet, and a kicked and tackled fearlessly. Another good run by Lennie went for nothing, his cross being sent down the field by Davidson, when the whistle blew for time.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 24th September 1906

A Point to the Good

Last season Aberdeen failed to get a point from Airdrieonians in their two engagements. Saturday saw a splendid crowd at Pittodrie. Although thev were not rewarded with a brilliant game, they witnessed a dour, determined struggle to the finish. There was a new arrangement in the front line which was to bring off wonders - if the team were allowed to. The home side went away in a promising fashion, every mother's son having a try for goal, but (the inevitable but) through they could not get. Duncan had some, saves bordering on the miraculous, while the backs were not over dainty in their methods of clearing. Several times the 'Onians limes the 'Onians broke through, but only once did they look at all dangerous. That was when O'Rorke shot wildly over when he had the goal at his mercy. If anyone deserved success it was Lennie, for his runs were worth the money themselves. Darting along the line he centred grandly, only to be beaten by a custodian who has got a tremendous reach.
The first half was barren of goals, with the home side claiming what honours there were agoing. Finding their feet rather early the visitors made some capital rushes towards our custodian, finding him always alert, or the backs ready to pick up a cross, and even when they were beaten, there was generally a half on the spot to clear. So the game waged as in the first half, Aberdeen's right wing failing to keep up their pace fell away miserably. The 'Onians' marksmanship was no better than that of the home side - it was perhaps a trifle worse - the game ending without a goal being registered by either side. It entirely due to Aberdeen's defence that they gained a point, and they deserved no more on play.

The Players.

The palm must be given to the visiting backs and goalkeeper. A rise trio they are with a perfect understanding between them. O'Rorke got away several times. Strang, however, kept a watchful eye on him, otherwise he would have been certain to secure a goal or two. Gildea was so well held by Henry Low that he was reduced to the very commonplace, while the left got very little scope to roam. Macfarlane was in his very best form, especially at the finish, when his saving was really class. The backs were good, but not without blemish, some of their mistakes being covered by the halves, who were the best line on the field. Lennie and Edgar easily took honours in the front line. McWhinnie, after starting well, got out of the game altogether. Laurie was only fair, and Haxton was not so good as we have him.

Chatty Bits.

Airdrieonians felt a hit sore at losing a point on Saturday. They had their minds made up to get the pair.
They may thank their stars they got away with that, for Aberdeen was worth a couple of goals in the first half.
The right wing hampered Aberdeen terribly in the second period, for both were unable to last the pace.
Henry Low shone resplendent in his old position, and came out as the best half on the field. Halket, up till the time he got backed, was in great form and shot for goal with unerring accuracy.
Injuries are so numerous amongst the Aberdeen players just now that it will soon be impossible to get a couple of teams together.
This week there are six men on the list - Gault, Halket, Urquhart, McKinley, Simpson, and Davidson.
Aberdeen failed to gel hold of the Glasgow junior they were after.
Some of the Airdrie supporters got so interested in the decorations for the King's visit that they failed to get to see the match.
The A's also did a grand performance on Saturday. On the last occasion they were at Methil they were defeated and lost the points. They had a win and the points this time.
Aberdeen's front line on Monday played as good football as any that have donned the "black and gold " this season.
McKinley was a great success at centre, and the wish is that he may keep it up.
Several of the Queen's showed signs of their hard game on Saturday. They gave glimpses of their old-time dash, but failed to sustain them.
Aberdeen were in a dilemma as to the composition of their team till the last minute, owing to injuries.
It is expected that Gault will be fit to play at Motherwell on Saturday.
J. J. Simpson will be unable to assist the "A's" against Dundee A, but he will be an interested spectator.
Aberdeen is now practically in the same position on the League table as they were this time last year. They ought to go a bit higher if they get the goals they work for.
Aberdonians will have two sterling cup ties this week. The Hearts bring north their team that gave the Hibs. 4-1, and they mean to get the cup home with them.

Source: Bon-Accord, 27th September 1909

Airdrie Teamsheet
Duncan; Davidson, Romeback; Ferguson, McGran, Findlay; Gildea, Thompson, O'Rorke, Graham, Dargue
Attendance: 6,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Faichnie, Falkirk
Next Match
10 Jul 2024 / 19:00 / Balmoor Stadium, Peterhead