Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 1 - 0 Port Glasgow

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 0 Port Glasgow

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Ward.

24/11/1906 | KO:

Played at Pittodrie before about 4000 spectators. Aberdeen had the better of matters all through. They were handicapped by the absence of Edgar during the whole of the game. After thirty minutes' play Ward scored for Aberdeen, and this was the only goal of the match. The last ten minutes saw Port put on extra pressure to equalise, but they failed to accomplish their object. Result:- Aberdeen, one goal; Port-Glasgow, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 26/11/1906

A crowd of fully 4000 turned out at Pittodrie to witness the game between Aberdeen and {ort Glasgow. Mr. Edwards, Glasgow, lined the teams up as follows:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, H. Low, W. Low; McDonald, Ward, McKinley, Edgar, Lennie.
Port Glasgow: Shaw; George Robertson, Ritchie; J. Robertson, Ross, Lynch; Thomson, McDonald, McShea, Steel, Edgar.

A stiff, gusty breeze was blowing towards the sea, and the homesters started with this element in their favour, making good headway towards Shaw right away. George Robertson at right back, however, stopped the operations of Edgar and McKinley, and following upon some play on the midline, Edgar was seen to limp, having ultimately to leave the field in consequence of that twisted knee. The effect of this was soon apparent, and the visitors' half-line working hard, allowed the right wing to get well up to the Aberdeen citadel, where a bombardment by the Glasgow van was set up. Edgar, Port Glasgow, on the right nipped in, and but for the smart intervention of the home defence, would have had the ball in the net. The local Edgar was greeted with a cheer when he limped painfully onto the field again, but the first effort was too much for him, and again he had to seek the pavilion. Meantime the owners were equally distributed, the visitors pressing pluckily up to Macfarlane in the teeth of the gale, and one shot in particular from McShea, caused Rab some trouble. Halkett turned the tide effectively, and then ensued a series of attacks on Shaw from both margins of the field. McDonald and Lennie were swift and tricky, and but for standard play on the part of the Port defence, the wingers' centres must surely have borne fruit. Ward, too, was not behind with clever work, and when the right wing was harassing the strangers well in, Halkett chipped in, and a stiff drive from his foot had to be tackled by the Glasgow custodian. Indeed, Shaw was responsible for many fine saves, and his performance even rows to a small modicum of enthusiasm among the spectators occasionally. The wind given us they curl to the ball at times, but Aberdeen, despite the fact that Edgar had left the field for good, at the greater share of the attack, and but for the brilliant work of the visitors' half-line, a goal must have fallen to Aberdeen. Half-an-hour elapsed, and then the goal came. Wilfred Low, who was blocking the work of the Port forwards, turned an invasion, and after taking the ball well up, past to Lennie, who sent across to the pivot. The latter made some headway, and then gave the ball to Ward, who finished with a fast shot, which bulged the net. A cry of offside was raised, but the point was allowed. Once more the locals were at it, and the Port lads only saved the situation by punching in front of goal, and literally forcing the ball into a place of safety. Boyle and Gault had little to do in the way of defensive work, the game ruling continuously that Shaw's end. Lennie did not appear in the least disconcerted by the loss of his partner, and proved a big handful for Robertson, well McDonald was also a source of trouble at the other line, his sprints along the wing being frequent and unexpected. On one of these occasions the right winger gave Shaw a shot to hold requiring the greatest skill, but the keeper dealt with it successfully and returned.

The opening of the second period was of a somewhat humorous, not to say and ludicrous, nature. Lennie was responsible for the diversion. The little man, not content with having a wing to support by himself, that once started on our roving expedition, coming over to the right, and harassing the defence there, blocking returns, bouncing around the backs, and distributing the ball with utmost coolness and persistency to his comrades. Amid a shard of laughter, Lennie took the ball himself and made a miserable effort for goal. The Port worked up through the centre, and although repulsed by the local halves, they stuck to it, with the result that Boyle and Gault had both to exert themselves. Strong kicking and hard work by the Pittodrie middle trio brought the ball up two Shaw's the senate eight once more, and when Lynch fouled McDonald close on the penalty line things look rosy for Aberdeen. Lennie and McKinley one, and all but forced that in. The game was all in favour of the homesters by now, and, in spite of the tricky wind they had to contend with, the shortened front rank made strong headway, and it seemed that their reward would come every moment. McKinley sent in at ticklish drooper, which Shaw managed to pull down in the nick of time. Repeated tries were sent in to Shaw, but with the assistance of his backs, who were stout and willing, he managed to avert further disaster. By this time darkness was rapidly settling down, and although the port capitalize men were a little more aggressive the finer touches of play were lost, and the match assumed an uninteresting aspect.

The drawings, including stands, amounted to £130.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 26th November 1906

A Punishing Game.

On one side there were shown flashes of combination and good football; the other went in for spoiling these tactics at any cost. Aberdeen found it hard to get into their stride with such a strong wind, while the defence tackled them in the most robust manner. In the most unfortunate manner Edgar laid himself out by displacing a tendon in his leg and having to go to headquarters for repairs. At this time Aberdeen were holding their own, and with ten men were giving the Port defence plenty of work to do, Shaw distinguishing himself with shots from Lennie and McKinley. The Port's front line was ineffective, especially the inside men, who were anything but good shots. Gradually Aberdeen asserted themselves till they had the opposition reduced almost to impotency. Ward proved the best marksman on the home side, and his play was capped by the only goal of the game - a particularly good one it was. It was Lennie who first crossed the ball when pressed, and, on McKinley sending out to McDonald, he put the ball forward, when Ward made absolutely sure of its going into the net at such a place that Shaw could not save. Half-time came soon after.

Still playing ten men, Aberdeen made the pace hot, and twice in succession Shaw had splendid saves, the defence being hard pressed. Many claim that Lennie was illegitimately brought down at one time, but the referee ignored this as he did almost all the claims from the home side. McDonald got across a fine drive which, if it was not over the goal line, was touch-and-go. So on the play went till the last six minutes, when several extra bursts by the Port looked none too well for Aberdeen's defence, bat the latter stuck to their work, and in semi-darkness the game ended in a win for Aberdeen by one goal to nil.

What might have been.

Had Aberdeen the good fortune to have had eleven men all the time we are firmly convinced that their goal average would have been enhanced a bit on Saturday's play. It was just the want of that man that made crosses go for nothing, which ought to have materialised into goals, and even with this handicap they were top dog most of the game. Edgar should never have attempted to go on again, but so game was the little chap that he had to get out to see how he would stand it with a bandage on. The Port players did not give us the feeling of decided superiority which they might claim by the results they have obtained. Their defence is sound - Ritchie, Robertson, and Shaw being very fine. The halves are a fair lot, but with the exception of the outside men the forwards were poor. Aberdeen's front line performed well, when the absence of one man is taken into account. If anything, Lennie had a particular claim to first place, as he had a strong opponent against him, and he played that same back almost to a standstill. Of the halves W. Low stood out clearly. It was just such a game that suus the left-half. Hard knocks agoing, Wilfrid can give and take, and smile all the time. He was up assisting Lennie, back to defensive work, and all over played the game of his life for Aberdeen. Henry Low and Halket were also very good, but Hiry did not get the opportunity of shining like the other lad. Boyle was the better of the two backs in some respects, as Gault was inclined to be a little rash. While the hard knocks were agoing in the second period it was amusing to see the referee lecture Boyle for a trip which he never committed. Had the whistle-blower tackled the centre-half on this point he would have been nearer the mark. Macfarlane had so little to do that we could not say whether he did it well or badly, but as he let no goals in that speaks for itself.

Chatty Bits.

Edgar had to get his knee put into plaster this week, and the report is out that he will not play this side of the New Year. It was extremely unfortunate on Johnnie, who was in fine trim, and he will require to be very careful before he starts to Play.
It was touch-and-go for the light hanging out to finish the game at Pittodrie on Saturday.
Referee Edwards was a trifle finical in his decisions on Saturday, and became unpopular with the crowd.
Tom Strang did not feel just fit for a hard game on Saturday, and stayed down from the team. It is seldom one misses the genial smile of Strang on the home side.
Halket was skipper of the team for the day, and he seems to fill the position to a nicety.
Boyle's look of injured innocence at getting a lecture from the referee, when he was not to blame, only served to irritate that official, who was not "having any." Of course, had Paddy retaliated, as he could have done, he might have got "marching orders." Boyle knows a thing or two.
Aberdeen are a point richer over this game than they were last year, when they only drew with the Port- 2-2.
The "gate" at Pittodrie came to £130 all in.
It will require to be a 2.30 kick-off this week, as the light did not last long enough in the "Port" game.
Aberdeen meet Hamilton Academicals this week at Hamilton.
Lochee refused to play Aberdeen A last Sarurday, and the latter have claimed the points and expenses. This knocked the third team out of a fixture.
Lochee failed to come to the scratch and Aberdeen have claimed the points and expenses.
Owing to their failure to get a Northern League fixture the A's went to Fraserburgh and gave a very fine exhibition of football.
The spectators have not seen a game like it for many a day, and got their money's worth in goals. Though the score was large the Hearts put up a good fight for it, and never relaxed their efforts all through.
Johnnie Robertson, who has recently figured as a back and half, went up to outside right and was a success there. He has great possibilities as a forward.
With Airdrie going rocky it came as a surprise to their supporters to learn that they had parted with Peter Gildea to Bury.
The English League results furnished some curious reading on Saturday night. Fancy, Liverpool giving Ashton Villa 5-2 and making rings round them at last!
The Sunderland quietly take the points from Everton by scoring the only goal of the game, and Newcastle United lose to Bristol City by 2-1. Football form is a funny thing to go by in view of these results.
The sum collected for the Wilson Benefit Fund at Pittodrie on Saturday amounted to £4 5s.

Source: Bon-Accord, 29th November 1906

Port Glasgow Teamsheet
Shaw; George Robertson, Ritchie; J. Robertson, Ross, Lynch; Thomson, McDonald, McShea, Steel, Edgar
Attendance: 4,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Edwards, Jordanhill
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen