Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Port Glasgow 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Port Glasgow 2 - 1 Aberdeen

Div 1 (Old)
Port Glasgow scorers: Edgar, Gray
Aberdeen scorers: Low, O'Hagan.

12/01/1907 | KO:

At Clune Park, Port Glasgow, in their return League fixture. A strong wind blew from end to end of the field and Port had its aid during the opening half. The visitors started promisingly, and Lennie, who was in front of an open goal, was pulled up for offside. After this let off Port forged ahead, but failed to make any impression on the northerners' rear lines. Thomson got the ball in the net but was well offside, and so the point was not allowed to count. Even against the wind Aberdeen put in a fair amount of aggressive work, and H. Low gave Shaw little chance with a hard drive into the corner of the net. Port were seen to greater advantage after this reverse, and soon Edgar equalised. They now had more of the game, and just on the call of half-time Gray secured a second count. The wind had now increased, and a blinding shower of rain added further to the general discomfort of the players. Aberdeen played with greater advantage with the wind in the rear than their opponents had done, and for a time in the second half they quite monopolised play. Steel and Edgar raised the hopes of the Clune Parkers, but MacFarlane managed to clear his lines. A period of even play ensued, but fifteen minutes from the close O'Hagan made a division of the points secure by sending the ball past Shaw. From this until the finish play was keenly contested on both sides and a hard but by no means brilliant game ended in a draw - two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 14th January 1907

Supporters of the northern club looked for a victory at Port Glasgow were Aberdeen were the visitors on Saturday, but as events transpired, they were fortunate in securing a division of the points, even against the scratch team placed on the field by the Port-Glasgow directors. Teams:-

Port-Glasgow: Shaw; Cleland, Ritchie; Allan, McShea, Bulloch; Black, Gray, Thompson, Steel, Edgar.
Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Brebner; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Macdonald, H. Low, McKinley, O'Hagan, Lennie. Referee - J. Martin, Camelon.

The visiting eleven had to face the wind at the start, but they bore down on the local defence right away, who were only turned back by Lennie getting off side. This gave the Port men and opportunity, but after some skirmishing round the Aberdeen citadel, Aberdeen once more swung down towards Shaw, where Cleland and Ritchie were warmly engaged for a spell. The first really dangerous and effort of the match was initiated by black on the home right wing, and that player after a sparkling solo, parted to Thompson who sent into the net. The pivot, however, was in an illegal position, and the point went for nil. Lennie made a spirited attempt to get close in to Shaw but Ritchie intervened, well Macdonald, a minute after, banged against the side net. Midfield exchanges were the order for a long spell, and the Aberdeen van were the first to bring about change, which ultimately proved lucrative for the visitors. The local defence was hard put to it, and a nicely combined run, ended in Henry Low driving home with a shot which the custodian never saw. The effect of the reverse was at once apparent on the Port men, and for a period that peppered Macfarlane from all quarters, but it was not till after tricky operations on the right by Black, followed by a surprise cross to the other wing, that the equaliser came; Edgar being almost three when he punted hard and Lowe into the Aberdeen goal. So far, Aberdeen were the better lot, but the old weakness in front of goal was responsible for much missing, and it fell to the homesters to take the lead. Ritchie gave Edgar a great chance, and this was the beginning of a continuous onslaught on Macfarlane. Blair was prominent, and the Aberdeen keeper had just returned a difficult shot from the right wing, when Gray court on the leather, and slipped past Macfarlane. It was nearing the interval, but once more Macfarlane was beaten, though offside was declared.

With the wind in their favour, Aberdeen started the second half in business-like fashion, and Ritchie just stepped forward in time to prevent Macdonald getting into shooting range, while Tom Strang sent the ball skimming over the bar at a terrific raped a few minutes later. Allan had a weak try at the other end, and the home pivot, who operated nicely among the visiting backs, also shot wide from a favourable position. The game resolved into one of turn about at pressing, but Aberdeen were easily the most dangerous. The equaliser came about 20 minutes from time, a nice pass from the right being snapped up by O'Hagan and popped into the net at close range. The ground was in a treacherous condition, and this was responsible to a great extent for bad football.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 14th January 1907

Quits at the " Port."

The weather was clear overhead, with a troublesome wind blowing, and the pitch was soft from the recent heavy weather. If the " Port " had anxieties as to their usual players, they have no dearth of recruits equally as good to fill their places. Aberdeen left Glasgow early in the forenoon and were at Clunie Park in good time for the start, which was witnessed by a moderate attendance. Aberdeen's left got away very nicely, but Clelland accepted the parting shot on his "bread basket." There was little excitement for a time, as the Port forwards lay well down, and had to be frequently pulled up for offsides. Between that and the vagaries of the wind the ball got little work to do. It was left to Henry Low to show how it could be done, and he put a shot past Shaw which left the goalkeeper wondering. It was rather a doubtful point which gave the Port the equaliser, though one would have forgiven Rab for this had he not let a very soft one go over his arm shortly after. Play in the second period was all in favour of the Aberdeen, Shaw having to show all his powers to keep the score down. Eventually O'Hagan broke his duck by trickily eluding the custodian. Even to the very last we had hopes of Aberdeen taking the lead, but the whistle sounded with honours even - 2 goals each.

Chatty Bits.

Aberdeen's draw at Port-Glasgow is a decided advance on last season's 3-1 defeat.
Again our good friend Macfarlane failed us on his own pitch, otherwise we should have had the two points away with us.
The result, however, reverses last season's spoils, which went to the Port, who claimed a win and a draw.
At home the supporters seemed very well pleased, especially those who knew the peculiar-shaped pitch at Clunie Park.
McKinley did not shine in his old place on Saturday. Why not try him at inside right?
Brebner was the better of the two backs, and it will be a difficult matter to oust him from his place in the first team.
The A term did bad on Saturday, and the forwards are getting the blame of it all.
It seems that only one of the two new men were a success, and that was Mitchell, from Stirling, who played very well with. Lawrie.
Mackie was too slow, and was not sharp at all on the ball.
Edgar did not give his leg too severe a test on Saturday. Once he felt the pain starting he thought it time to cease sprinting.
It was well for Buckie that Johnny came off, for if he had once begun to score there would have been no stopping of him.
McIntyre a capital dribbler, but he overdoes that and spoils his partners. He ought to he node to understand that there are other four forwards besides him on the field.
Howarth is a good man between the posts and can field the ball well, besides, his kicking is strong and well directed.
The draws for the Fleming. Charity Shield are announced as follows: Aberdeen v Peterhead ; Fourth Team v. Aberdeen A.
The Charity Committee start this season with a surplus in hand, the result of collections at the trial games at Pittodrie.
We expect there will be one or two full dress rehearsals at Pittodrie prior to the cup tie with Johnstone.
Johnstone are to run a special train through with supporters, and they expect to get through this round, as they have been fortunate in previous years at the first hurdle.

Source: Bon-Accord, 17th January 1907

Port Glasgow Teamsheet
Shaw; Cleland, Ritchie; Allan, McShea, Bulloch; Black, Gray, Thompson, Steel, Edgar Unused Subs: H. Low, O'Hagan
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Clune Park, Port Glasgow
Referee: Mr. J. Martin, Camelon
Next Match
27 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen