Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Hibernian 1 - 3 Aberdeen

HT Score: Hibernian 1 - 0 Aberdeen

Hibernian scorers: Riordan 21.
Aberdeen scorers: Magennis, Maguire, Maguire.

14/05/2011 | KO: 15:00

Maguire Double Seals Win as Dons end on a High

Aberdeen ended the season on a high as they fought back to beat Hibs 3-1 at Easter Road to finish ninth in the league. After an even first 45 minutes Hibs led through a great strike from Riordan in the 21st minute. Aberdeen took control after the break and Magennis levelled two minutes after the re-start. Two Maguire goals in the space of a minute sealed the win and sent the travelling fans home happy. It was a young team on the park today as Shaughnessy made his debut and Fyvie had his first start since his return from injury.

Aberdeen won a corner in the opening minute, but Vujadinovic failed to make contact as the ball was cleared. A minute later Aberdeen were probing forward again and Magennis collected a pass from Fyvie before firing wide. In the 4th minute Miller went one-on-one with Langfield and the keeper justified his new contract with a great save. This was followed by a shot from Vaz Te that caused little trouble, but it was a lively start to the match.

Aberdeen looked dangerous again in the 7th minute with some fine play, but an offside flag ended that attack. A minute later the Dons won their second corner, but the ball went out of play before reaching the Hibs penalty area. Riordan was able to break after blocking a Milsom effort, but Shaughnessy made a great challenge to break the move up. A third corner kick came to nothing and in the 12th minute Aberdeen should have had a penalty when Maguire was tugged back by Taggart, but Mr. Collum waited a few seconds before awarding Hibs a free kick.

In the 15th minute Taggart pulled back Aluko. This time the incident was outside the box and the free kick was awarded. Shaughnessy almost made a dream debut from the delivery as he steered a header goalwards, but Brown gathered at the second attempt. Two minutes later a vicious shot from Maguire was blocked rather fortunately by the keeper. Fyvie eased Vaz Te off the ball in the 19th minute, but Mr. Collum adjudged it a free kick although Riordan could only fire the effort against the Dons wall.

In the 20th minute a snap shot from Vaz Te smashed off the post and went wide, but a minute later Hibs went ahead when Riordan netted a decent effort following loose defending at the edge of the box. Aberdeen tried to hit back immediately and Vujadinovic forced a save from Brown. In the 27th minute Smith won a free kick in a dangerous area, but Maguire couldn't get the ball beyond the wall eight yards in front of him. Protests to Mr. Collum fell on deaf ears. On the half hour mark Sodje blazed over when he could have fed Riordan.

In the 35th minute a shocking two footed challenge on Aluko from Vaz Te earned the first caution of the match. Aberdeen pressure forced a corner in the 40th minute, but the ball was easily cleared as the game lost a lot of its early excitement. Langfield then had an easy save from Towell and a minute later Hibs were awarded their first corner despite it looking like Aluko had kept the ball in play. Riordan then went down in the box and was lucky to escape a caution for simulation. In the last minute Blackman headed an effort inches wide.

Aberdeen won an early corner and levelled through Magennis as he bulleted a header past the keeper. It was a great delivery from Maguire and resulted in competitive goal number 7,500 for Aberdeen since their formation in 1903. At the other end Hibs almost regained the lead despite Towell looking offside and a blatant use of the hand. Fortunately he made a complete mess of his finish and Aberdeen survived. Two minutes later Magennis had another chance, but Brown was down quickly to save.

Aberdeen were looking positive and Aluko won a free kick in the 54th minute, but the chance was wasted. Aluko played it short to Blackman, but the on loan Blackburn player could only fire the ball into the wall. Sodje set up Vaz Te three minutes later, but he blazed the ball over the top. Aluko then skinned the full back at the other end and was unlucky as his cross hit a defender and into the arms of the keeper. On the hour mark Jack forced another corner and this time Vujadinovic watched in agony as his header was saved on the line by Brown.

The game was raging from end to end now and in the 64th minute Vujadinovic made a great goal line clearance after Riordan chipped Langfield. A minute later Riordan hit the side netting as the home side fought back after spending most of the second half on the back foot. Aberdeen were back on the attack again in the 68th minute, but the Hibs defence held firm. At the other end Milsom was penalised for a challenge on Riordan and the Hibs man won a corner as the ball cannoned off the wall.

Hibs had gained the upper hand again and Wotherspoon fired wide in the 72nd minute. A minute later Miller earned the second yellow of the match as he was forced to foul Fyvie as the midfielder kept the ball from him. From the resultant free kick the ball fell to Aluko and he forced a save from Brown. Aberdeen went ahead in the 76th minute after good build up play saw Maguire react quickly and poke the ball beyond the keeper. The Dons player of the year made it 3-1 a minute later with a wonderful strike from distance that gave the keeper no chance.

Riordan then forced a corner in the 79th minute, but Hibs were unable to capitalise. Two minutes later a second corner followed, but again it was a poor delivery that failed to threaten the Dons goal. Wotherspoon did threaten the goal in the 83rd minute, but once again Langfield made a great save and at the other end Magennis went on a run, but couldn't produce the finish. Maguire then almost grabbed his hat trick as he collected a poor clearance from Brown, but the keeper redeemed himself with a fine save.

Aberdeen then won a corner with five minutes remaining, but couldn't add to their tally. A minute later Magennis tested Brown again and the keeper could only parry the ball. There were no takers in a red shirt and the ball was scrambled clear. At the other end Langfield turned a fierce Wotherspoon shot on to the bar as this game continued to entertain the fans. Blackman was replaced by Grimmer in the 89th minute and a minute later Robertson replaced Aluko, who received a standing ovation from the Aberdeen fans.

Hibernian Teamsheet
Mark Brown, Scott Taggart (Victor Palsson 65), David Stephens, Paul Hanlon, Lewis Stevenson, David Wotherspoon, Liam Miller, Richie Towell, Derek Riordan (Daniel Handling 90), Ricardo Vaz Te (Francis Dickoh 57), Akpo Sodje. Unused Subs: Martin Scott, Jakub Divis, Jordan Forster, Scott Smith.

Bookings:  Ricardo Vaz Te 35,   Liam Miller 73.
Attendance: 11,767
Venue: Easter Road, Edinburgh
Referee: Willie Collum