Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Motherwell 2 - 2 Aberdeen

HT Score: Motherwell 0 - 0 Aberdeen

SPL Youth 19
Motherwell scorers: Watt 60, McGachie 73
Aberdeen scorers: Gibson 54, Shaughnessy 68.

18/02/2011 | KO: 13:00

Aberdeen put in a much better performance this afternoon after their disappointing result last Sunday against Livingston. In an entertaining game all the goals came in the second half with Nico Gibson and Joe Shaughnessy twice putting the young Dons ahead but Motherwell twice came from behind to rescue a point against Aberdeen at Bathgate this afternoon.

The Dons started the game slowly although they did have one or two half chances, but nothing that troubled the Well keeper. The home side, who are just below Aberdeen in the League, then had the better of the play and created a couple of good chances that all fell to striker Steve Howarth but he was unable to opening the scoring. Keiran McDonald also had a shot which went just past the post.

The visitors began to creep their way back into the game and Jamie Masson went close with a deflected shot.With just under ten minutes of the first half left, Aberdeen had the ball in the net but the linesman had ruled that Stephen O'Neill's cross went out of play and came back in.

Then on the stroke of half time Masson was denied again when his shot, which was goal bound, was headed clear and then Jordon Brown went close with a header after another of his trademark late runs into the box.

After the break though the game burst into life and Aberdeen took the lead just seven minutes in. A Jack Grimmer cross from the right flank was touched away by Bradley, allowing O'Neill to collect. He got past former Don Halsman before cutting the ball back for Nico Gibson who fired home from close range.

Motherwell though hit back eight minutes later with a superb goal. Ross McKinnon collected the ball on the half way line and put 'Well on the attack with a terrific ball out towards Josh Watt who fired home a terrific left footed shot high into the top left hand corner that left Lukasik with no chance.

A minute later Motherwell almost took the lead but the Dons defence blocked well. Then on 68 minutes the young Dons went back ahead. A Connor Devaney corner kick from the right washeaded up into the air by Clark Robertson and then the unmarked Shaughnessy reacted quickest to loop a header over Bradley and into the net.

The game was by now end to end and on 73 minutes Motherwell equalised again. Steve Howarth was fouled on the edge of the area by Conor Devaney although it looked an incredibly soft decision and the Aberdeen players were not happy.

Ross McKinnon took the free kick that went under the wall. The ball was parried by Lukasik who saw the shot late allowing McGachie the chance to head home.

Towards the end McGachie had another chance but Lukasik saved well.

Neil Cooper told RedWeb "I thought a draw was a fair result in the end. I was a lot happier with the performance today. I was also pleased with the efforts of some of the young boys who came into the side today.

Weather: Dry
Motherwell Teamsheet
Bradley, Halsman, Sloan, Murray, Griffin, McKinnon, Watt, Carswell, Erwin (McGachie 59), Howarth, McDonald (Connor 73)
Venue: Creamery Park, Bathgate
Referee: K. Sorbie