Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 2 Motherwell

HT Score: Aberdeen 1 - 2 Motherwell

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Low, Wilson.
Motherwell scorers: Robertson, Reid (pen)

23/02/1907 | KO:

There was a continuance of a storm at Aberdeen, snow falling till within half an hour of kick-off, the consequence being that the attendance was small when the game started. Motherwell set a brisk pace at the start, and had Aberdeen's defence in difficulties. It was for a short time only, as Macdonald had his namesake on a string, and with Lennie almost scored. Aberdeen played well for some time, but fell away, and a combined rush let Millar score for Motherwell. H. Low equalised, and from a penalty off Boyle, Motherwell led at half-time. Aberdeen had most of the play in the second period, Wilson being the only one to get through for Aberdeen, though Lennie, Ward, and Low all missed easy chances. The result of an interesting gamewas Two goals each.

Source: The Scotsman, 25th February 1907

The pitch at Pittodrie presented a passably good appearance on Saturday after so much snow, the efforts of the squad of workmen having been so far successful that there was only a thin, powdery layer on the field. Following upon the locals victory last week, the crowd that assembled on Saturday to witness the contest with Motherwell was disappointingly small, the drawings only amounting to £54, including stands. The teams turned out under Mr. Faichney, Falkirk, in the following order:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Gault; Halkett, Strang, W. Low; Macdonald, Ward H. Low, Wilson, Lennie.
Motherwell: Macdonald; McLean, Rattray; Sneddon, McNeil, McCullum; Reid, Nicol, Miller, Donaldson, Robertson.

Though Aberdeen kicked-off, Motherwell were the first to invade, and this they did in a dangerous fashion, the pivot and right wing waltzing through the home defence, and finishing with finding the net through Nicol. It was cleverly work for, but the point was disallowed for an offside infringement. The visitors were a small but wiry lot, and seemed to be more at home on the hard ground than their opponents, keeping the sphere well in on Macfarlane for a time. The first real effort at goal by the Pittodrie men came from Lennie as a result of judicious feeding from the halves, but winger game in collision with McLean, and Macdonald conceded a corner. Lennie's kick-in was somewhat wide, but Boyle had a grand try at long range, which brought about another corner, the advantage this time, however, being lost through Lennie kicking behind. A quick transformation was effected to Reid and Nicol, and Macfarlane all but bungled when returning a shot from the former. Once more the game veered round, and genuine excitement was roused in Macdonald's vicinity, where Halkett made a great try with his head at converting a corner kick, while a minute later Lennie slipped at the critical moment when Macdonald again sent in from the corner flag. It was all Aberdeen's game now, and Lennie, along with Wilson, was lively on the wing. Wilfred Low showed improvement on last week's display, and a fine opening, given to Lenny from the left half resulted in another narrow escape for the visiting citadel. Yet again Lennie flashed down the wing, and so severe was the pressure that McNeil was obliged to kick over his own goal to save. Notwithstanding the effective work of the local man and halves, McFarlane's citadel was the first to fall, you in some measure to the custodian himself. Reid sent in from the right, and Rab only made a weak clearance, with the result that Robertson stepped in and drove home. A spell of end-to-end play ensued, and in a few minutes the Pittodrie van made off towards Macdonald, a pretty centre by Macdonald giving Henry low the ball at his feet about 5 yards out. The goal was inevitable, and the equaliser was hailed with great cheering. It was destined that the game should not long remain on an equal footing, for a moment after the fall of Motherwell, Boyle brought Miller down in the penalty area, and the free kick was allowed. Reid was entrusted with Troy, and he made no error. Before the interval McLennan and Rattray were severely harassed, but they were both sound.

Henry Low marked the opening of the second period with an inglorious attempt at goal and followed this up by spoiling a promising run. The lumpy snow on the ground was telling on the play, and Nicol suffered severely from a fall, but he was able to resume without leaving the field. After some pressure Aberdeen once more got the equaliser, as the result of neat operations on the right wing, from which Macdonald crossed to Wilson, who dashed through the Motherwell backs and drove the leather home with a terrific slanting shot. The reverse spurred the blues on to greater effort, but all that transpired was a weak shot from Reid which Macfarlane easily held. It could not be denied that Aberdeen were playing a winning game, and although Macfarlane was not altogether idle, the pressure was all in McDonald's quarter. Boyle showed a tendency to be pugilistic when Miller brought him down rather roughly, and the consequent foul almost brought disaster for the visitors, first from a bunched attack and latterly from a corner, from which the ball was tipped over the bar. It was quite patent that Aberdeen were the stronger side, but the fact that the strangers packed their goal, combined with the ever-present faulty finish of the Aberdeen forwards, prevented any addition to the score. There was a complete turning of the tables in the closing minutes of the game, and the home defence had to work hard to keep their lines clear. With this state of matters prevailing, the whistle sounded time and the teams left the field leaving the result at a draw.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 25th February 1907

Aberdeen Teamsheet
MacFarlane, Boyle, Gault, Halkett, Strang, Low, McDonald, Low, Ward, Wilson, Lennie.
Motherwell Teamsheet
Macdonald; McLean, Rattray; Sneddon, McNeil, McCullum; Reid, Nicol, Miller, Donaldson, Robertson
Attendance: 3,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. Faichney, Falkirk
Next Match
06 Dec 2023 / 19:45 / Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen