Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 2 - 0 Morton

HT Score: Aberdeen 2 - 0 Morton

Div 1 (Old)
Aberdeen scorers: Simpson, Wilson.

09/03/1907 | KO:

At Pittodrie before 5000 spectators. Morton had a new goalkeeper in Oliver from Linthouse, who took Robertson's place, who was absent through illness. The visitors were first to get away, Houston trying a good shot which MacFarlane saved. It was some time before Aberdeen got settled down, and the left wing were a sore thorn in the visiting defence. Simpson opened scoring for Aberdeen, and Wilson added to the score with a simple shot. The second period saw Aberdeen monopolise the play, but they failed to increase their score. Result:-Aberdeen, two goals; Morton, nothing.

Source: The Scotsman, 11th March 1907

After the great display against the Celts last week, there were high hopes at Pittodrie on Saturday that Aberdeen would affect a win, with Greenock Morton as the visitors. The home team turned out exactly the same as on the previous much, and there was only one change in the Morton eleven as advertised, Robertson, the goalkeeper, being absent through illness, and his place taken by Oliver, a Greenock junior. Teams:-

Aberdeen: Macfarlane; Boyle, Brebner; Halkett, H. Low, W. Low; Macdonald, Simpson, Wilson, O'Hagan, Lennie.
Morton: Oliver; Stewart, Gibson; Gallacher, Huston, Macintosh; Urquhart, Dart, Galbraith, McCubbin, Lindsay.
Referee - Mr. J. Muir, Motherwell.

From the moving of the ball there was a quiet exchange at the midline, which resulted in an abortive attempt by O'Hagan and Lennie, followed by a fine long-range shot by McIntosh, wide of the mark, however. Galbraith operated neatly in the centre, and parted to Lindsay, who called upon Macfarlane with a warm shot at close range. Rab fisted out, and Boyle cleared, from which the ball was carried swiftly to Oliver's end, where Henry Low made a mess of a great opportunity with a high shot. At the other end Macfarlane was again called upon and saved a lovely shot from the right wing. Again the Aberdeen quintette, through the left wing, made way to wards the sea end. Simpson got the sphere directly in front of goal, and everyone looked upon a point for Aberdeen as a certainty, but Bobby shot wide, and the second chance was thrown away. It was evident that the strangers were to give a deal of trouble, for Galbraith and led the van with great dash, and the halves were effective in splitting up the Aberdeen combination. The play of the home forwards was somewhat ragged up to this stage, and some heartbreaking attempts at shooting for goal were witnessed. Stewart and Gibson were strong in Morton's defence, and not only kept their own lines clear, but came up to support the pressure at the Aberdeen end. Wilson got clear away, and tried a long shot, but Oliver had an easy task in sending out. Give and take play was the order for a time, but this was broken by Galbraith with across to the left, where Lindsay picked up drove hard across the goalmouth. Macfarlane touched the ball in the passing, and from a corner-kick Galbraith almost headed in. At the other end a brief siege on Oliver was made, but only a couple of abortive corners accrued. Two wards half-time, however, the fight on Aberdeen's park became more business-like, and prolonged scrimmages took place, but into goal the ball would not go. At last the much-sought-for point came as the result of a smart kick through a crowd of legs by Simpson. The goal was a neat one, and it was followed by another in the next minute in the simplest fashion conceivable. Scrimmaging play was the order again, and the ball seemed to bound off Wilson's head and roll slowly between the keepers legs over the line.

The teams turned round and commenced the second period without to this point, and it was no sooner started and Wilson tried Oliver. O'Hagan was dancing merrily, and in company with Lennie almost proved too much for the keeper. It was all Aberdeen's game, with Halkett and the two Low's feeding the forwards nicely, and keeping the play well in on Oliver. There was little really dangerous work, and at last Morton made a breakaway, which resulted in Galbraith giving Macfarlane a difficult shot to hold. Rab just got his fist on it in time, and guided past, but he was not yet out of the wood, and had to put behind again to save the situation. It was not long before the home crowd were down again, and a series of corners were forced, but bore no fruit. It was painfully evident that Morton were a beaten team, and although they showed a occasional revivals, they seldom made serious calls on the home defence. The Pittodrie brigade, and especially O'Hagan and Lennie, showed a decided tendency to treat the matter as a huge joke, contenting themselves with fancy work, and only occasional genuine tries for points. Macdonald appeared to be off his game to some extent, but he made frequent flashes down the wing, which were not supported as they deserved by Simpson. The inside man, however, was by no means a passenger, and he had numerous good efforts, which were dealt with very skilfully by the young custodian in the Morton citadel. Boyle seemed impatient at being out of the fun, and he created some merriment when he came ploughing down the wing, and had a pot shot at Oliver, while, not to be behind his partner, Brebner tried a long drooping punt, which was almost successful. These little liberties continued right up to the finish, but O'Hagan showed that he was not altogether seeking amusement when he diddled through and knot of the opposition, and like a flash had the ball skimming two wards the Morton goal. The shot was a surprise one, and beat the keeper all the way, but, unfortunately, it was rather high, and the ball bounded off the crossbar. Taking the match all over, Aberdeen were worth their two goals, and probably more, for in the second half especially the strangers were exceedingly weak. If there was an outstanding man in the front line it was Lindsay on the left, but even his game deteriorated latterly, while Stewart at back, who had made a good impression at the outset, lost his favour with a series of miskicks two wards the finish.

The total drawings amounted to £135.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 11th March 1907

Good for Aberdeen.

It was evident by the large crowd that came out to Pittodrie on Saturday that Aberdeen had rehabilitated themselves in the public favour, for it was a piercing cold day to stand and wit¬ness football. Morton were a weakened team from that which drew with the Celtic. Robertson was an absentee through illness, while Currie and Rae had crossed the border to Bury. Aberdeen had out the same side that did so well against the Celts. The play at any time throughout the game never rose to be brilliant, due to various causes. Aberdeen seemed to have more method in their play; Morton put up a haphazard game forward, while their defence cleared at any cost. It took the home side thirty minutes to find the net, though they had thrown away a couple of better opportunities prior to Simpson sending the ball home. The second goal was a gift from the new custodian, and we fancy, had Aberdeen pushed harder at that time, they would have had a crop of goals, as the lad was completely unnerved. Aberdeen did not press home the victory which they had assured after this, though they played pretty football. Almost always on the attack an excellent opportunity was given for Stewart to show his claims for international honours, and it must be said he saved many a good goal. With¬out their two good backs, Morton would have cut a sorry figure, and as it was they were fortunate in being only two goals down when the whistle blew. Of Morton's attack, Lindsay was the only catch on with the crowd, the others being very slack at finishing. The halves were erratic, seldom passing on to the forwards, preferring to get rid of the ball at any cost, Stewart and Gibson were the best part of the team, and bar that one mistake Oliver performed well in goal.
Macfarlane put in some smart work on Saturday, and was clever in some of his saves. Boyle was the better of the two backs at close quarters. The halves were a treat, and we should not care to put one before the other. The left wing got most to do, but were not over-anxious to cross to the right as they did against the Celts. Had they done more of this the chances are there would be more goals. Perhaps they thought there were enough. In any case the right wing did not get so much to do and were not so much in evidence. Wilson kept wonting the backs and seems to be falling into line with the others.

Chatty Bits.

O'Hagan will be absent from the Aberdeen team on Saturday. He plays against Scotland at Celtic Park.
If the Hearts fail at Kirkcaldy to beat the Rovers it will be a great blow to them, alter them being sure of entering the final.
We would not be surprised, in fact we almost predicted that Queen's Park and Celtic would likely participate in the final.
Aberdeen turned a 2-1 defeat into a 2-0 victory on Saturday.
Lennie did try hard to get a goal on his own, and was only baulked twice by Stewart. His dashes along the wing were pleasing to the crowd.
It was expected that Edgar would be fit to play this week and take O'Hagan's place, but we learn that this will no happen.
Who will fill the vacancy is the front line will not definitely settled, though we should not be surprised were Ward put to partner Macdonald, and Simpson put along with Lennie.
Simpson was slightly indisposed on Saturday, suffering from a bad cold. He shot a capital goal, but missed a couple.
The gate at Pittodrie on Saturday came to £130 all in - not bad for such a cold day.
On Tuesday the Aberdeenshire cup and badges to the winners and runners-up were presented in the Bon-Accord hotel to Aberdeen A and Harp.
Baillie Milne presided over a large gathering, and made the presentation. Mr. T. Duncan accepted the cup for Aberdeen.
The players got a rousing reception from the large audience present.
Mr. Duncan will have the honour of keeping the cup on his sideboard for a year.
Now that the Internationals are on the tapis, it may be as well to remind our readers that we offer special facilities for booking to Newcastle.
Parties going to Newcastle should enquire at 10 Crown Street, when we will make arrangements for comfortable travelling to witness the match.

Source: Bon-Accord, 14th March 1907

Morton Teamsheet
Oliver; Stewart, Gibson; Gallacher, Huston, Macintosh; Urquhart, Dart, Galbraith, McCubbin, Lindsay
Attendance: 4,500
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Muir, Motherwell
Next Match
03 Dec 2023 / 15:00 / Easter Road, Edinburgh