Saving layout

One Moment...

Resetting layout

One Moment...

Customise your homepage

Drag each panel to set your preferred order. Click the eye icon to toggle the visibility of the panel. You can reset the layout by clicking the 'Default' button above.
On This Day
Social History
Match Centre / League Table
Players / Managers / HOF
The Aberdeen Collection
Squad (Hidden)
Profile / Dark Blue Dons / Wartime Dons
Results / Pittodrie Stadium
RedTV / Milestones

Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee A

HT Score: Aberdeen 0 - 1 Dundee A

Scottish Second XI Cup Replay
Dundee A scorers: McAulay

29/09/1906 | KO: 15:45

Scottish Cup Second Eleven - Played at Aberdeen before 5000 spectators.

Source: The Scotsman, 1st October 1906

Dundee A supplied the opposition at Pittodrie on Saturday, when they met the Aberdeen reserves in a replay in the first round of the Scottish Second Eleven Cup. There was a large attendance when the teams lined up as follows:-
Aberdeen A: Mutch; Willox, Brebner; Davidson, Low, Gowie Robertson; J. Robertson, Hilton, Lawrie, R. Simpson, McKenzie.
Dundee A: Crumley; McDonald, Chaplin; Watson, Ramsey, Ogilvie; Mitchell, Nimmo, McAulay, Fairweather, Thompson.
Referee - Mr. J. Nisbet.

The Aberdeen team won the toss, and commenced with great dash. Dundee's defence repelled the attack, and away to the other end rushed the Dundee forwards. Aberdeen's backs were overcome, and McAulay, accepting a well-timed pass from the left wing, beat Mutch with a hard shot. The goalkeeper made a good effort to get at the ball, but he was too far away to reach it. After this reverse, Aberdeen kept the ball in Dundee's territory for about ten minutes. J. Robertson was well supplied with the ball, but he could not get round the defence. R. Simpson change places with Lawrie, but this made no improvement. The home forwards did not combine well together. Any neat passing which they tried was soon broken up by the opposing defence. Davidson sent in a hard shot, but Crumley cleared. Nimmo and Mitchell had several good runs to the other end. Brebner, however, always had the pull of them, and repeatedly robbed them of the ball. Dundee's halves were not very brisk, and if they had supported their forwards better, another goal might have been scored. Fouls were numerous, and the referee was continually lecturing offenders. Dundee's defenders put in a lot of hard work. They were continually kept busy. Although hard pressed at times, Dundee's backs repelled all attacks, and their clean kicking and tackling was a feature of the game. Aberdeen's forwards were presented with many opportunities, but they failed to follow up their advantages. They were very weak in front of goal. Crumley had several shots to hold, but they were all of the soft order. From a breakaway by Dundee Thompson sent wildly fast, while the next minute Aberdeen secured the first corner of the match. Dundee's defence got the ball away. Aberdeen returned in spirited fashion, Gowie Robertson made a capital effort to equalise. He danced round several opponents, and finished up with a grand shot which missed by inches. Dundee got off on the right, and Aberdeen's goal had a narrow escape. McAulay top sent in a hard shot. Mutch caught the ball, but failed to hold it. The leather one was rolling slowly two wards the goal, when Mutch ran after it and kicked out, but not a moment too soon, for McAulay almost headed over the goal line. The next minute Hilton missed an open goal. Simpson sent the ball well ahead, Crumley rushed out, but missed his kick. Hilton seized the ball, and although he was only a few yards from goal, with no one to beat, he sent wildly past. Weak shooting by the Aberdeen forwards in front of goal spoiled all their best outplay efforts. They did not combine well, and missed numerous chances. Aberdeen's defence had not much to do, but they were equal to all demands.

In the first minute of the second half Aberdeen forced a corner, but the return kick was headed past by Laurie. Aberdeen played for all they were worth, but Dundee's defence was too much for them. Play was fast and exciting, but Dundee held the upper hand. Several corners fell to the visitors, but Brebner on each occasion kicked out. Hilton at this stage went into the centre, but this change made no improvement. Hilton was well fed by W. Low, but Chaplin paid him too close attention. Mutch saved his charge repeatedly. Dundee forced matters, and had all the play. A break away by Aberdeen resulted in an exciting scrimmage in front of Crumley. The goalkeeper turned away many shots, and while the excitement was at its height, Chaplin was injured, and had to retire for a few minutes. Fast end to end play followed. The backs of both teams were the most prominent players on the field. Crumley saved smartly from Lawrie and Gowie Robertson. Aberdeen missed another open goal, Lawrie sending the ball over the bar. J. Robertson was now more prominent than in the first half, but his cross is we're not taken advantage of. To in the last fifteen minutes Aberdeen came away with great dash. Their forwards sent in a hard shots from every range, but Crumley was not to be caught napping. Aberdeen played desperately to secure the equaliser, but without success and the game ended - Dundee A, 1; Aberdeen A, 0.

Source: Aberdeen Daily Journal, 1st October 1906

A Bad Blow.

Aberdeen A were so confident of their entering the next round, that it is perhaps as well that Dundee took the conceit out of them a bit. On reviewing the play calmly and judging the amount of work the defence on either side had to do, the question arises in one's mind as to whether the result was deserved on play. Everyone at Pittodrie will admit that the home side had the larger share of the play but failed at goalmouth. How many chances did they have? How many times had they only to pop the ball through? The players had better answer these questions themselves. We could have forgiven them had they been beaten by a superior team, but Dundee were far from that, as the only good thing they really did was the scoring of the only goal right at the start of the game. Dundee were thankful and pleased they got the result as it was, for they had a warm ninety minutes, with Crumley and Chaplin in great form. The latter got free-kicks innumerable by the want of a forward to go into him. Jamie Robertson walked up and down as if he were linesman instead of player. The forwards were a weak lot, and made very poor use of the good work which the halves put in. Willox and Brebner were very safe at back, while but one mistake could be attributed to Mutch, and he attoned for it in good time.

Source: Bon-Accord, 4th October 1909

Dundee A Teamsheet
Crumley; McDonald, Chaplin; Watson, Ramsey, Ogilvie; Mitchell, Nimmo, McAulay, Fairweather, Thompson
Attendance: 5,000
Venue: Pittodrie Stadium, Aberdeen
Referee: Mr. J. Nisbet, Edinburgh
Next Match
East Kilbride
20 Jul 2024 / 15:00 / K-Park Training Academy, East Kilbride